Announce and track hang gliding events
By TerryR
Dinosaur 2017 U.S. Nationals is on. June 25 - July 1, 2017. At least $10K prize money for Open Class comp (last years task committee was top 3 pilots in the world). Probably no Sport Class comp this time, but awards for 100 milers, open distance and climbs to 17,500. All profit, hopefully there will be one this time, will go to thechampfoundation.org (my grandson has Pearson Syndrome). Could surely use some volunteer help: website redo (https://www.rockymountainglider.com/), Colorado accounting, and more.

I will be around Dinosaur the last week of this month if anyone wants some guidance. Locals are usually available to drive.

TR
By thermalfinder
TerryR wrote:Dinosaur 2017 U.S. Nationals is on. June 25 - July 1, 2017.
Thanks for organizing this event. I wonder whether an event late May would yield better conditions? :thumbsup:
By davisstraub
Check to see when the monsoonal season is for that part of eastern Utah, western Colorado.
By FredK
In my experience the monsoon rarely hits before the second week of July (past few years first), and late May is the best in terms of good lift, the right wind direction, reasonable moisture, etc...

I think it's a good call. Either then or it has to go to the last week of August. By Sept. things get dicey for weather in Colo.

Fred
By TerryR
The climate data I studied showed for the specific area, northwest Colorado, the week selected historically has the least precipitation and ends 2 weeks before the start of the monsoon. Late May is good also, but the last week of June is better. It is conveniently close to the July 4 weekend, school is out and it is prime Colorado vacation time.

With Chris and Todd, I used to live in the back of our pickup and flew every possible day trying to break Brad Koji's Colorado distance record. Only got over the Continental Divide once, but made innumerable hundred milers to Steamboat and vicinity. And I had to take off from a 250' hill to be starting in Colorado.

The week chosen should be dry with strong lift and consistent light westerly winds aloft. Then again, it's the weather and hang gliding.
By FredK
TerryR wrote:The climate data I studied showed for the specific area, northwest Colorado, the week selected historically has the least precipitation and ends 2 weeks before the start of the monsoon. Late May is good also, but the last week of June is better. It is conveniently close to the July 4 weekend, school is out and it is prime Colorado vacation time.
Hey Terry, I got my months confused and I meant late June was the most consistent. You're absolutely right.
By red
FredK wrote:
TerryR wrote:The climate data I studied showed for the specific area, northwest Colorado, the week selected historically has the least precipitation and ends 2 weeks before the start of the monsoon. Late May is good also, but the last week of June is better. It is conveniently close to the July 4 weekend, school is out and it is prime Colorado vacation time.
Hey Terry, I got my months confused and I meant late June was the most consistent. You're absolutely right.
Campers,

History is okay, but FWIW I saw monsoon conditions over Salt Lake weeks ago. :ahh: . . . :ahh:
Rain here recently has been "unseasonal" and frequent. Climate change, I betcha!
Utah is supposed to be a desert, maybe the second driest state (in terms of rain) in the USA. Not lately, mate.
Best wishes for the event, but you may want a Plan B if you are traveling far.
By TerryR
Duh
By davisstraub
Lots of thunderstorms here in New Mexico and plenty of rain in east Texas.
By Sford
I think Terry and Fred have it right. There are historic climate reasons that the Sandia Classic was held in June then the Dino comp's were held late June/early July.

The last 2 years have been abnormally wet due to the biggest El Nino since 1997..... so, one can't take the weather patterns of Spring 2015 or Spring 2016 as the usual.

Spring/Summer 2017 should be more typical. We should be firmly in a La Nina cycle by then and La Nina years are best in CO IMO. Fall 2016 should be more typical of our Fall flying weather in CO for instance.

SF
By red
Campers,

Last-hour Doppler map for Utah. Raining all around me, today. :shock:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes

There is a free app for Android phones, maybe on Apple phones also, called "My Radar." Zooms to show the Doppler map for one county, or half of North America. There are several such apps, some more detailed or technical. Good to have on hand.

:mrgreen:
By g billow
Dinosaur 2017 U.S. Nationals is on. June 25 - July 1, 2017.

Terry, did the dates get changed? Last I knew Dinosaur began on the 18th.