Announce and track hang gliding events
By remmoore
haddieman wrote:
remmoore wrote:
Nate wrote: I love HG events, and happily attend if they're not comps. I have buddies who attend national comp events and do quite well. But I never hear them try to pimp our mutual friends into comps. They know that comps aren't for everyone, and pilots will find comps if they want to - without the need for pimping.

RM
I understand your point RM but I don't think it applies to my post. If you'll notice, I addressed the post to "anybody who is interested in getting into competition". I don't think it can be considered "comp pimping" for me to encourage pilots who are already interested in getting into competition to sign up for a comp that is geared towards those kinds of pilots.
OK - I'm going to take you at your word. Like I stated before, I don't think of you (or anyone else) as a villain for enjoying comps. Most of my later posts have been explaining the difference between promotion and pimping, and I'm perfectly happy to quit this topic if others want to just talk about the event itself.

RM
By davisstraub
My paraphrasing...
Like I said, language is flexible (irony alert).
Last edited by davisstraub on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By davisstraub
OK - I'm going to take you at your word.
Jeez, now if remmoore had just started with that.
By Wonder Boy
I think there should be more comps.

I appreciate all those that put in the time to organize, and to all that attend.
Anything to expose the sport and get people talking and or motivated.

Helps the manufactures (IMO) to try to one up the other.
By lostgriz
Cory, welcome to the mean streets of comp pimping. I like you, so I will gladly share this turf with you. I have had my share of comp threads dumped on, so I have to admit reading this one gave me a chuckle. I love it when people with no modern comp experience puke on these threads.

If you are interested or curious about comp flying, this would be a great one to cut your teeth on, as would the ECC at Highland Aerosports. Come join the fun, learn a ton and make some new flying friends.

Cheers,

Matt
By skydiver1
Felix wrote:Respectfully, terms such as "pimping" are misplaced here and only used to cast a dark, negative shadow as well as degrade one's joy and excitement about whatever form of free flying one enjoys, in this case competition flying. How about don't say anything if it isn't positive, nice and supportive?
I won't be able to make it to this specific comp but will be present at five other comps this year (or more!) - Do you have something against comp flying? Don't participate! But please stop throwing your poison onto others that may find it an exceptional flying opportunity. I would be happy to see more and more pilots discover the awesome times to be had at flying competitions - nothing but positive feelings toward such events from me!
Blue skies!
:thumbsup: There you go!!! put an end to this none sense post about "pimping".
By HGXC
remmoore wrote:
davisstraub wrote:Mr. remmoore,

It is unfortunate that you attack Cory for things that he did not say. It greatly undermines your case for, well, whatever it is for. Perhaps instead of engaging in hyperbola, you could state your case based on what he actually wrote instead of just making stuff up.
Did you actually ready my first post?

You're a smart guy - you know exactly what I'm talking about. Trying to convince non-comp pilots that comps are simply "...a week straight of flying XC with your friends" goes far beyond promotion, and becomes pimping. I even pointed out a few of the differences between a week of XC and a week of comps. My paraphrasing of other past comp-pimping examples: "it's the best thing ever!"; "all the top comp pilots will be your new best friends!" and "you can't become a good pilot unless you compete" were obviously not direct quotes from Haddie.

RM

I have flown in comps and enjoyed those experiences I understand what you are saying concerning the hype of a comp. But the idea of running a comp successfully is offsetting the costs and providing a good experience. You have to get the word out to and get sign ups to offset those costs. Puffery is quite acceptable and often found in gliding. I don't see many gliders advertised as "pretty good" or 3rd best....I can translate and i am sure most people get word of mouth before they sign up.

I am glad to hear events are successful even if i never choose to enter them because i root for the financial success of GA Hang Gliding included.

We need to understand that gliding is a micro business model and it barely supports itself. We require technology and R&D for our products, contests and competition helps support these efforts to improve gear.

Dennis
By JackieB
I'm new to hang gliding, but very familiar with the comp/non-comp experience from decades of riding dirt bikes combined with serious motocross racing.

I can't wait to gain enough experience to fly in a few comps (I'm barely an H2 and don't even aerotow yet). One thing that I really appreciate about hang gliding competitions is that there isn't pressure to achieve a certain level of success. If a pilot really just wants to have a fun flying vacation and learn a bit about XC flying, everyone else will be happy for that pilot.

As for the fact that all of this can be done without comps, that's true and I have never gotten the impression from even top pilots that fun flying is OK, but comps are really where it's at. Perhaps that's their main interest, but they respect those who just want to fly free and nothing more.

The great thing about comps beyond that fact that it's fun to compete sometimes is that the organizers bring together fantastic resources to make it an excellent week of flying for all. I'm grateful to Davis, Jaime, and all who do this work tirelessly for us.

Anyway, as a brand new pilot who was even a bit confused about what you meant, renmore, I truly don't think that this is an issue in hang gliding as it is in some sports.
By blindrodie
The great thing about comps beyond that fact that it's fun to compete sometimes is that the organizers bring together fantastic resources to make it an excellent week of flying for all. I'm grateful to Davis, Jaime, and all who do this work tirelessly for us.
:thumbsup:

8)
By rbremermd
Weather has really been improving in FL recently. Looks like a good weather pattern for the meet.
By piano_man
Hey Cory,

Nice flying yesterday in challenging air. Cory flew from Henson's to Lookout then flew to the point & back. Good luck at the comp - get high, go far, stay safe.