Announce and track hang gliding events
By Spark
noman3 wrote:ok it looks like im putting racks on the girl friends car and we are coming out.
:mosh: :goodidea:
By TomGalvin
Spark wrote:
noman3 wrote:ok it looks like im putting racks on the girl friends car and we are coming out.
Can you post your Facebook photo from last night of your glider so the McClure boys will have an idea of what they are getting themselves into.
jj colorado wrote:
deeprecon1 wrote: I know all you Co people = Mountain people that look like you just stepped out of a Aspen Co tourist brochure ... :lol:
This is Real outdoor Colorado.
By kwright
Spark wrote:
:ditto:

A Mother Lode Sky Rider! Raw and uncut! :mosh: :thumbsup: :lol:
By tipr
I need a glider hauled from Wills Wing to Villa Grove for the fly in. I can give ya some gas $. I also have a Kevlar O2 tank and a Digi fly vario for sale. Call me if you can grab a wing from Wills 865-368-3396
By Tiffany Smith
If you haven't already been inspired to come to Colorado Fly Week in Villa Grove this summer, you might be after you read the site profile article that just came out in the June issue of the USHPA HG/PG mag. Pages 42 - 45....check it!
By baddad63
Ok guys I'm thinking of cancelling my July 4th trip to LMFP and doing this one instead. I dont currently have an O2 system but can purchase if you tell me its a must have. I'm an H2 rated, with all the qualifications for H3, just need to take my test. I fly an Eagle 180 and use a Falcon 3 195 for backup. This sounds like much more to my liking than the LMFP trip. So my questions are: Is an H2 rating sufficient and do I need to purchase and O2 system?
By TomGalvin
Fly week is open to H2 pilots, but I would either come with more experienced pilots who are familiar with your flying, or have your instructor have a chat with the locals, so that you have someone to mentor you. As for Oxygen, it will help. Altitude sickness can start at about 8000 feet. The launch at Villa is at 9000 feet and Whale is 12,000. Take a day of rest when you arrive, drink lots of water, and some people find that salty foods help. Here's a thread on our local forum about O2 systems.

http://rmhpa.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1725
By jj colorado
I had a great 2+ hour flight with a Falcon 3-195 at Villa a couple months ago. But if it is a high wind day up high you might need to take an early morning sled ride or wait for a late day glass off and avoid trying to deal with very strong headwinds mid day. Light day I bring my F3, strong day I bring my U2.

As a H2 you will need to rely on advice of locals. Plenty will be there. Most H2s fly early or late but not mid day, but that depends on the day. A 4 or 5 pm launch when things have mellowed out can still get you a few hours of sweet flying.

With all that, my F3-195 flight had me between 13-14k for a couple of hours. I do lots of biking at high altitude and still take O2 if I'm planning on flying at altitude for more than an hour (i.e. always at Villa). If you come to VG it is for epic flying. That includes plenty of time above 13k.

LMFP is nice, but VG is a whole different experience. I spent many weekends at LMFP just so I could be ready to fly Villa.
By baddad63
I wanted to go to LMFP but I was told that ridge soaring in July is rare but not unheard of. I can do plenty of aerotowing and thermaling right here. I do have some mountain flying under my belt. I went to the Guads Presidents Day fly-in this year and got in a few hours of soaring in both calm and windy conditions. I can't wait to go back for next year. I talked to my instructor and I should be able to have my H3 before I leave for the trip.
By jj colorado
Villa should be great for you especially having some mountain flying in at the Guads. Looking forward to meeting you there.
By Tiffany Smith
Colorado Fly Week FAQ's

In light of some of the recently asked questions...

Q: Do my wife and kids have to pay the pilot entry fee?
A: No. Family members (this includes spouses, girlfriend/boyfriend and children) essentially piggy back off of their pilot mate.

Q: Will there be a charge for my family for the banquet night?
A: Yes. $10 for adults, $5 for kids

Q: I am not bringing a family member with me, but my two best buds are coming...do they have to pay the pilot entry fee as well?
A: No. But, there is a $15 per person admission for this kind of guest (this helps to cover porta-potty costs, live music, entertainment, etc)

Q: OK, so my buddy pays the $15 non-pilot admission....does he/she also have to pay for the banquet night?
A: Yes. The banquet meal is $10 for adults, $5 for kids.

Q: I can only be there for a day or two - is there a discounted rate?
A: No. Unfortunately, we have too much invested in this whole thing to start splitting hairs. We are hoping that people can embrace the spirit of this fund-raising event, and realize what it takes to make something of this magnitude happen.

Q: Can my buddy drive just me up the hill?
A: No. We will be limiting the number of vehicles up to launch due to major space for vehicles limitations. Carpooling will be organized every day, with shuttles going up the hill every couple of hours.

Q: Does my entry fee cover retrieves?
A: No. While there will be drivers available for retrieves, it is strongly advised to have your retrieve hammered out with a specific driver. HQ will assist when possible, but you should arrange this ahead of time.

Q: A week is a long time to go without a shower...will there be any facilities available?
A: There is a full-service campground less than 8 miles away. They have a very nice and clean facility and they only charge $3.50 for a hot shower!

Q: Will the food vendors take checks or credit cards?
A: No. Please be prepared and come with plenty of cash.

Q: If I wait to register when I get there, can I pay by credit card?
A: No. Unfortunately, HQ will not have a way to accept your credit card on-site.

Q: Will it really be $90 at the door instead of $75?
A: Yep, it will really be $90. It is advisable to take advantage of the early registration benefit now, before June 10...you will pay less AND you can charge it on your credit card.

Q: I've never flown Villa Grove before. What's it like?
A: Just come. There will be a gazillion pilots to ask these kinds of questions to once you are here.

Q: What are the coordinates to launch?
A: LAT: 38°17'30.65"N
LONG: 105°52'57.28"W

Q: What are the coordinates to the main LZ/party central?
A: LAT: 38°15'47.42"N
LONG: 105°53'48.48"W

Q: Will this be the coolest flying event ever?
A: Well heck yeah!!
By AIRTHUG
Great FAQ! Two more :wink:

-Is the site (launch + LZ) H2 friendly? P2?

-Can I bring my dog? He's family, can't imagine leaving him home...

Thanks!
By Tiffany Smith
Great questions Ryan:

Q: Is Villa Grove H2/P2 friendly?
A: Yes. It is advisable for lower rated pilots to ask many questions and heed all of the advice given, and buddy up with a more experience pilot (or pilots) if possible. Typically, this rating will favor flying mornings and evenings.

Q: Is the event dog-friendly?
A: Yes, well behaved/non-aggressive dogs are most certainly welcome. We just ask that you watch after your canine pals, provide them with plenty of water, and please pick up after them. HQ will not be able to watch your dogs while you're gone all day.
By AIRTHUG
:mosh:
By TomGalvin
AIRTHUG wrote:-Is the site (launch + LZ) H2 friendly? P2?
I observed an H2 launch there today. You have to pick appropriate conditions, and walk the LZs with them.

I imagine it is the same for P2s, though the available launch window is probably smaller.
By Tiffany Smith
PLEASE NOTE:

The $75 cost for this event ends this Sunday, June 10!! After that time it will cost you $90.....I'm not even kidding. No exceptions.

Wouldn't you rather use that extra 15 bucks towards a second t-shirt...or a nice embroidered hat....or a reprint of a past year's shirt...or an extra few hot dogs?? Of course you would.

What are you waiting for?! Here's the link....you're running out of time....

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... MTL46G7UZW
By Tiffany Smith
Pre-registration for the low $75 price is being extended until the end of day on Wednesday!

We have over 70 pilots signed up so far and we're feeling pumped up about this thing....don't get left in the dust!
By Tiffany Smith
Miscellaneous info....

We are arranging daily shuttles up to launch every few hours, but this is not necessarily included in the cost of registration. There likely will be a small fee for the driver of the vehicle, to be determined by the driver/owner of the vehicle (gas is just so ridiculously expensive). We have heard from numerous pilots that have attended many of these types of gatherings that hitching a ride up to launch is never free, so it would be prudent to expect to pay a few bucks to get up to launch. It is the pilot's responsibility to be at the loading area on time to catch one of these shuttles.

The cost of pilot registration includes: t-shirt, raffle ticket, food voucher for banquet night (July 7), lanyard with name badge, fence-line camping (on-site only), live music & entertainment and all the fun and flying one can stand.

There will be food vendors on-site....at least one and sometimes 2 of them overlapping. They will serve ($$) 3 meals a day, including hot coffee early in the morning and sack lunches to take up to launch ($$). HQ (that's me) will be selling embroidered hats (limited supply) and additional t-shirts, both of this year's artwork as well as reprints from past shirts we have done.

I know of at least one booth that will be set up for our t-shirt artist (Harry Martin) so he can talk about his hang gliding cartoons and show off some of his artwork and answser questions. And there still could be someone show up to do some sort of demo days, but I'm not sure if this will pan out or not, despite our efforts.

Final piece of advice: BRING LOTS OF CASH -- food vendors and HQ will not be able to swipe your credit card.

Hope this helps. Anything else I can answer??