All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.

Moderator: mods

By Comet
Perhaps the most cogent assessment of a common forum malady, referred to as Senior Poster Syndrome, a compilation of comments adapted from "An Eclectic Mind: Why Forums Suck":
Given the small size of our community, we would do well do avoid this pitfall:

On virtually every forum there will be one or two “senior postersâ€￾ who have 36,746,364,536 posts and therefore consider themselves experts on all things related to the subject. The sheer volume of posts endows senior posters with a facade of knowledge and authority (surely 36,746,364,536 posts are equivalent to a college degree, right?). The problem is, a lot of the other forum users will idolize these senior posters and take everything they say as gospel. This can precipitate an arrogance and "know-it-all" attitude in the senior poster, to the point of shouting down true experts on the forum subject whose expertise may be perceived as a challenge to the senior poster's status. The experts will typically abandon the forum, considering not worth it to play the game and leaving members to wallow in their own ignorance and in-fighting. The senior poster has thus fought off the new interloper and preserved his position atop the forum pecking order.

By gluesniffer
We would also be better off without your consistent anti bag posts :ahh: :surrender: :sleep:

I think what we all need as a community is to accept that there are more than one way to do things. We should focus on the positives and avoid needless posts like this one. :shock:
By Helix3
Honestly Comet makes a valid point. Read that cogent article a while ago. Comet - can you post a link to the article?

During my H1/H2 phase I found myself holding back from fully and honestly being myself because of unfriendly waters created by a combination of hostile local pilots senior in time-in-the-sport compared to me + admittedly my stubbornness, strong personality and refusal to accept being treated like sh!t.

If it weren't for me leaving the local nest to seek other mentors (lovely, well-respected senior pilots generously giving their time to offer support + encouragement) during that horrid time I would have quit the sport.
To those kind mentors I am deeply grateful.

There's room for so many different perspectives, I think. Without talking about the current political mess, it is kind of analogous.
It is absolutely possible to talk about diametrically opposite views and beliefs and share perspectives without personal attacks.
You can vote for ___ and I can vote for ____ yet still remain friends.

Is winter over yet? Sigh.

- from the 2-thumb-rated poster with nothing to do at work + *6* posts on the front page now :shock:
Last edited by Helix3 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By brian scharp
Sounds like you want "true expert" status and to go unchallenged. Bullshit should be called out regardless of who posted it, or how well the intention. Being a small group doesn't make it an advantage to blindly accept something someone says just because of some perceived/portrayed status.
By NMERider
brian scharp wrote:Sounds like you want "true expert" status and to go unchallenged. Bullshit should be called out regardless of who posted it, or how well the intention. Being a small group doesn't make it an advantage to blindly accept something someone says just because of some perceived/portrayed status.
:ditto: :ditto:
The OP is a troll. I extended an olive branch and he ignored it.
I have seen no evidence to suggest the OP actually flies.
Does anyone here know this individual?
By Comet
gluesniffer wrote:We would also be better off without your consistent anti bag posts
So why did NMEWhiner attack me publicly when I made a positive post about Robin Hamilton's inspiring flight?

BTW, I just checked my own post history. I had to go back to August to find a post that could even be remotely considered "anti-bag" - that being a media story from the OZ Report web crawler about a PPG that crashed through a church roof - interesting more for it's irony than the type of craft involved. Far from "consistent" so quit exaggerating.
Last edited by Comet on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Comet
brian scharp wrote:Sounds like you want "true expert" status and to go unchallenged..
And it sounds like you "idolize these senior posters" and want to "wallow in ignorance and in-fighting."

All I did was cut and paste Tiki's story about Robin Hamilton's inspirational flight - how is that seeking "true expert" status?

NMEWhiner used that post to challenge my flying credentials and that's how this started.
Last edited by Comet on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By NMERider
Comet wrote:
gluesniffer wrote:We would also be better off without your consistent anti bag posts
So why did NMEWhiner attack me publicly when I made a positive post about Robin Hamilton's inspiring flight?

BTW, I just checked my own post history. I had to go back to August to find a post that could even be remotely considered "anti-bag" - that being a media story from the OZ Report web crawler about a PPG that crashed through a church roof - interesting more for it's irony than the type of craft involved. Far from "constant" so quit exaggerating like NMEWhiner.
Nobody attacked you. Your complimentary post about Robin tells us nothing about your own flying. There is nothing wrong with sharing one's triumphs as well as failures. That's reality. It's what hang glider pilots do. They talk about their own flights and they expose themselves to the opinions of others in the process, whether they agree with either the compliments or criticisms. Or worse yet, being ignored. That happens too. Some pilots choose to fly in a vacuum and never discuss any aspect of their own flights with anyone. That's their prerogative but good knowledge and experience or even inspiration may go to waste. That's reality too. The Org forum have taken a massive dive in participation over the past 8 years. This forum is ghost of what it used to be. Maybe the forum gets a lot of hits but these are from search engine spiders and not from pilots who pay any mind to what gets said here.

Now kindly start talking about your own flights so other may learn something new. :goodidea:
By Comet
NMEWhiner Is On Your Ignore List.
Attachments
hand.png
hand.png (1.4 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
By AIRTHUG
Comet wrote: The experts will typically abandon the forum, considering not worth it to play the game and leaving members to wallow in their own ignorance and in-fighting. The senior poster has thus fought off the new interloper and preserved his position atop the forum pecking order.
Sounds familiar. Almost every time I come here, I wonder why I did. My desire to share the privilege I've experienced of an early start in this sport, and a life committed to study and full immersion (knowing many just are not able- nor willing- to follow such a useless life path LOL)... I digress... my desire to help and share what I've learned is completely at odds for my despise of the forum dynamic, and self-proclaimed heros with their ignorant following of "don't-know-what-they-don't-know" disciples...

I'm not just talking about NME... but he does seem the prime example here, doesn't he...
By Comet
AIRTHUG wrote: Almost every time I come here, I wonder why I did. my desire to help and share what I've learned is completely at odds for my despise of the forum dynamic, and self-proclaimed heros with their ignorant following of "don't-know-what-they-don't-know" disciples...

I'm not just talking about NME... but he does seem the prime example here, doesn't he...

Well said Ryan! I was going to cite you as an example of example of the numerous experts who have been pushed off this forum by arrogant senior posters. Forums worldwide are withering because each becomes dominated by one aggressive member whose ego swells with his growing number of posts until he believes he owns the forum and sets the rules.

By brian scharp
Comet wrote:
AIRTHUG wrote: Almost every time I come here, I wonder why I did. my desire to help and share what I've learned is completely at odds for my despise of the forum dynamic, and self-proclaimed heros with their ignorant following of "don't-know-what-they-don't-know" disciples...

Well said Ryan! I was going to cite you as an example...
Me too, but as an example of how posting bullshit should be called out regardless of who posted it, or how well the intention.
AIRTHUG wrote:I can (and have) run across a field and steer the glider without ever touching the DT's by simply changing the direction I run...
By brian scharp
Comet wrote:All I did was cut and paste Tiki's story about Robin Hamilton's inspirational flight - how is that seeking "true expert" status?
It isn't. That was my response to the original post here.
And it sounds like you "idolize these senior posters"...
Obviously not.
.. and want to "wallow in ignorance and in-fighting..."

What else is there if you leave?
By miraclepieco
:lol: NME is the proverbial pig wrestling in the mud - he likes it because it just increases his post total!

In my bookmarks, hanggliding.org is labeled "Do Not Open - You Will Be Sorry." This is due to the belligerence of ignorance - those who have a LITTLE knowledge and will argue it to the death.
Others will leap to the defense of their equally inexperienced peers. And at this stage in my hang gliding career, anyone with less than 35 years, 4000 hours, 25,000 XC miles etc is relatively inexperienced.
Translation: I am so old it's time to start downplaying my experience, lol!

To establish my so-called 'expert status' I once resorted to a lengthy signature line bio. It seemed kind of conceited so I canceled it.
I will revive it for this post only (see below). When someone gets as many posts as I have XC miles...well, it still won't mean anything!
By Sford
You boys need to go get a flight........ seems as the season wanes and the flights are less frequent, our culture can get caught up in venting about trivial things. The remedy is as simple as go take a flight, even a sled ride to keep launch and landing current...... knowing that a sled ride might be the only thing available.

I'm watching for just that opportunity tomorrow. 'might be a sled ride, might be more, but another launch and landing for the season. And that will make me smile.

SF
Not a senior poster but going on senior citizen. A friend recently sent me a spoof poster with a gray ribbon and the following text: "Gray Power; we're old, we're tired, get of my lawn". I think I'll change it to "get of my launch" and post it here 8)

Go fly damnit!
By Avnav8r
Hey,

To quote a hang gliding Great, Larry Tudor, "Student always"

John Stokes
By Sford
You will be happy to know that Larry is back in the game, albeit on a PG. He's taking the locals in his home town, on a hike up hill, to school simply due to his knowledge of the air and that attitude of "student always". It's a good attitude IMO.

SF
Last edited by Sford on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OK, I have a better video now of a practice Fly On[…]

Visiting Wallaby 2017

A short video from visiting Wallaby Ranch last spr[…]

That was very cool to watch, thanks! Reminded […]

Campfires tales . . .

What resources would you be searching for on this […]