All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.

Moderator: mods

By mgforbes
Event insurance is different from commercial instruction. I'm not sure of the exact details since the policy language hasn't been written yet, but we will have a provision for covering events as we do now. We're aware of the need for coverage for competitions, and we'll make sure that's included in the policy.

It's not a matter of whether more schools beyond the current nine are asking for commercial insurance. They will be required to insure as a condition of teaching for pay. If instructors want to have insurance coverage for commercial activities, they must be affiliated with a certified school that is insured by the RRG. In that case, the school policy covers the first $250K and the USHPA policy provides surplus coverage of another $250K for a total of $500K as we have now.

If schools choose not to insure, or instructors choose not to be affiliated with a certified school, then they will have no coverage for commercial activities. They will not be permitted to use USHPA-insured sites for any form of commercial activity, such as tandem flying, training, guiding, advising or any other form of compensated activity. Chapters will be expected to enforce this rule, and chapters found to be violating these terms will be notified that their site insurance will be withdrawn and the landowners notified of the reason.

Flight parks like Quest who don't hold commercial policies are free to continue doing exactly what they've been doing all along...going bare. As long as the landowner doesn't require coverage, there's no mandate that the school hold an insurance policy. Instructors working for that school won't be insured, but that's true right now under our existing policy. Instructors alleging they're "independent contractors" to obtain coverage under the USHPA policy while working for/at the school will no longer be covered for commercial activity. The presumption is that if you're flying tandems at a site where tandems are being charged for, you're engaged in the commercial activity. "Oh, that one was free" isn't gonna fly.

Despite your disbelief, I know a number of instructors, primarily doing tandems, who are not taking any compensation. They like to fly, they like to introduce people to flying, and they offer introductory training flights to friends and relatives. For that activity, USHPA's instructor insurance policy applies. As soon as they start charging for lessons, advertising their services and otherwise engaging in commercial activity, then they need to affiliate with a certified school or form one and get it certified through PASA. As long as it's teaching for fun instead of pay, it's covered by USHPA. As soon as there's compensation, it's under PASA.

MGF
By davisstraub
Thanks Mark.

It wasn't disbelief, as I noted, it was whether it was much of an issue (i.e. whether we got a lot of hang glider pilots through the free instruction method). And really it is almost beside the point.

It would appear to me that none of the sites that we hold hang gliding competitions at are insured sites, except when we hold competitions at them and then they are insured by event insurance (which previously was the same as site insurance).

So instructors that are currently independent contractors working for non covered schools can continue as independent contractors (or employees if they like), they will no longer have to pay for the instructor insurance and will have regular USHPA membership? And they, like the schools, will not be covered.

Schools where the landowner requires commercial liability insurance will have to purchase it through PASA or the RRG.

Thanks again.
By mgforbes
davisstraub wrote:
So instructors that are currently independent contractors working for non covered schools can continue as independent contractors (or employees if they like), they will no longer have to pay for the instructor insurance and will have regular USHPA membership? And they, like the schools, will not be covered.
Rogallo membership will continue to be required to hold an instructor rating. While pilot dues went up by $51, we left instructor dues at $294 as before, reflecting the reduced benefit of no commercial insurance coverage going forward.

MGF
By davisstraub
So what benefit do they get for their increased dues?
By mgforbes
Instructor appointments and insurance for non-commercial training.
By RobertKesselring
Has USHPA solicited RRG contributions from government entities?

When I was at LMFP last summer, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $8k, I'm sure I generated some tax revenue for the states of GA, and TN, as well as the cities of Trenton and Chattanooga. Multiply this by the number of students LMFP has in a year and I'm sure the tax revenue is significant. Given that LMFP would likely shut down in the event of an RRG failure, those government entities have a stake in its success.

I'm sure the situation is similar at other school locations too.
By sg
The debates on this thread are now a moot point and this thread is nothing more than a distraction that no longer reflects the new reality in any way.

So im closing this thread and moving to the basement.

CHECK THE UPDATE.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33814
Base Bar Mounts

That helps, thanks

When I unzip the harness of my Mosquito NRG (and l[…]

:thumbsup: Props and pistons, there's nothing lik[…]

La Muela de Alarilla, Spain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGoFShaMuw