All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.

Moderator: mods

Ban soar8hours?

strong yes
44%
yes
17%
no
20%
strong no
19%
By Aldpal
Soar8hours: So...... Tell us what you really think? For what it is worth, I think this rant shows progress as far as not being racially offensive, other than maybe your line about 5 minute newscasts. Thank you for your military service, and for apparently being a Net contributor or maker versus a net taker in society. Unfortunately as time goes on there seems to be less people willing to help pull the wagon and more that just want to get a ride for the whole journey. I also appreciate your love for the first amendment, but there are other rights, such as the freedom of association that also are valuable. The analogy has already been made that coming into and posting on this website is like coming into some one else's home, and the owner of this site or "home" has the right to limit your speech in their home or if unable to moderate it than to dis-associate you from their home or site, for any reason (or no reason), or for just having an unpopular viewpoint. I am no fan of the excesses of what is or is not politically correct, but by today's standards, you are a fool if you think it is cool to refer to a black person you are critical of, as needed to go back to swinging from tree's. Considering it appears perfectly fine for a black person to say this to another person, that does not seem right, but that is the way it is. Much like using the "N-word" there is quite the double standard on who can or can not use that word. How crazy is it that I feel I can not actually even spell that word out, when discussing things in this context? With out further info, I am not ready to judge you a racist, but I consider some of your comments form your original posting to be racist.

Bottom line, I would prefer not to see you banished from this site. I could even care less about an apology, as most are so meaningless. Despite my admiration for most people who maintain defiance against the odds or peer pressure, even when I disagree with them or regardless of the issue, I would have respect if you acknowledged that you crossed a line here that is not acceptable to the moderator, and to this group or society as a whole. To lighten things up and since I mentioned pulling wagons, you might appreciate this cartoon:

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
By Scott MacLeod
I'm working hard to understand what this has to do with hang gliding.
By Heli1
I agree with Scott Macleod above.
Why don't the Org. promote the growth of hang gliding worldwide?
And the safety of hang gliding?
Not this US political rant :crazy:
Cheers
Jan
By Aldpal
This thread has nothing to do with hang gliding, but has to do with what is acceptable to a privately run forum, that happens to be about hang gliding, that is open to the public and whether one of the participants should be banned. Soar8hour's post that started this contained some racially offensive statements, but was mostly a politcal rant, so it is understandable that it is going morph into a racial and political discussion. I do not care a whole lot which way the moderator goes, especially since I think Soar8hour's post gives a black (no pun intended) eye to those that agree with some (not all) of the viewpoints he was making. It is easy to ban or hit the ignore button on him, but he will still be out there. I would prefer to engage him and maybe have a positive influence or result.
By sg
Erik Boehm wrote: This is a private (and international) forum, free speech and the US constitution are not relevant here.

The issue is not that you dislike taxes, or welfare/government handouts, etc.

The issue was the overt racism... which you have just ignored and presented strawmen distractions.
Nailed it. Then no apologies. Account clearly not hacked.

Yep.... soar has a freedom of speech, but take it somewhere else.

*BANNED*
By AndRand
Heli1 wrote:I agree with Scott Macleod above.
Why don't the Org. promote the growth of hang gliding worldwide?
And the safety of hang gliding?
Not this US political rant :crazy:
Cheers
Jan
Good point.
I used this one when playing hockey: "politics and job problems are out of the locker room".
By CP
I could understand the freedom of expression argument if I saw any evedance of an actual thought needing to be expressed.
The chances that this guy sat down and weighed out pros and cons of the facts of any or all the issues he spews forth on and then just by chance came out in lock step with Faux news and Rush are about as slim as him ever understanding what racism is or how it negitativaly affects the country he purports to love.
By Aldpal
Thanks CP, your comment reinforces my reason for chirping in so much on this topic. You and some others here obviously had problems with more than just the racist part of Soar8hour's post. The only thing that stops me from leaning further to the right on most issues is that the ground blocks me as I fall lateral on it. That said I condemed his racist comments, and have no problems with the moderators decision to ban. I, like most conservatives believe in consequences and accountability for ones actions and words. I did not think it necessary to conduct a poll for SG to do what he thought was right or in the best interest of this site. He has a thank less task moderating this, but I thank him any way, for his time and effort in keeping this site such a valuable resource for HG. CP, I think I know and associate with a lot more conservatives than you, so please don't let your "bigoted (and offensive) stereotype" of us allow you to think that Soar8hours is representative of any thing other than a minority of conservatives. Now that he has been "voted off the island", I guess I will have to watch tonights survivor for any more drama. We can lean different ways down here, but let's agree to go the same way while sharing thermals. See you in the air, Alan
By CP
I have equal distain for Liberals that don't think for themselves and just accept the party line.
Aldpal, I dont see any reason to connect you to the comments i made if you need to make that connection and refer to yourself and Soar as"us" than that is your choice.
Unless you see your self as someone who is willing to be told who and what to hate then feel free to take offense.

Thought and reason are the fear killers in all things, politics, religion, and flying included
By zamuro
How many bury votes are needed to send a subject to the basement ?
By BubbleBoy
One less vote needed.

JB
Arcones, Spain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vseRqYLGsCA

For This Wanker U-S Pilot. Kariotahi is where my R[…]

Your post is very misleading Frank. First of all,[…]

Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

So where did they tell me that LZ is again? :sho[…]