All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.

Moderator: mods

Ban soar8hours?

strong yes
44%
yes
17%
no
20%
strong no
19%
By 1htalp9
I hate racism. I hate censorship more.
By Scott MacLeod
This is the preeminent forum representing hang glider pilots and we have a responsibility not to alienate potential new members of the flying community. For me that trumps "free speech" rights on this forum. Hence my ban vote.
By Jason
I wouldn't let that sort of crap fly in my house, and SG shouldn't have to let that sort of crap fly in his
By gluesniffer
Rascism doesn't need a vote. A warning is generous.

I'd like to see the names who tolerate this s---, so I can tune them out too.
By TomGalvin
1htalp9 wrote:I hate racism. I hate censorship more.
There is a difference between censoring and shunning. With his freedom comes accountability. There are rules to this site that everyone agrees to when they sign up. This is not a public square, but a private website. Tommy is still free to speak as he wishes, but maybe not here much longer. That decision rests with the host.
By jyoder111
This sport brings you into contact with many wonderful people, and a few like this guy.
Last edited by jyoder111 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Skyvine
1htalp9 wrote:I hate racism. I hate censorship more.
Weeelllll, sorta seems like hate is the problem here.
By tom emery
As much as I deplore that language, he has the absolute right to spew it. I have the right ( and common decency) to speak out against it. Reading it and remaining silent isn't who I am. I pity the poor guy. Imagine the kind of upbringing that leads to an individual who walks through life with all that effluence sloshing around in his head. Poor dumb animal.
By mbadley
America is GREAT because we can say these things. Yes, words have power - but if I REACTED to every negative and whacked out thing that I heard, I would have already died from apoplexy. Clearly censorship is HIGHLY UNAMERICAN.

Just ignore the rants - reaction is what he wants. Judging from having to call a VOTE to ban him, he is getting what he is after.

Obama is NOT my guy - but he is the President - and I will respect the OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY and call him sir, be humbled and amazed to shake his hand (if ever given the chance) and give him the respect he is due. Once he is out of there - he just becomes another 'man' to me and I won't follow his lead. Barrack and Michelle can move to wherever they want and I hope they have a good life.
By sg
People need to ask themselves if they would allow 100 KKK members into their home each week to spew racist s--- because *freedom of speech* !!!

Why not? You support freedom of speech right? You dont want to be an evil censor right?

Who wants to offer their home first? Step right up. Lets hear it. Lets see how much you really stand behind your beliefs.
By TommyT
I also hate is this type racism, but if I heard it from one of my brothers(even brothers in the air) I would not rush to cut out is tongue, I'd first let him know
why these this type of stereotypes and racial slurs hurt all of us.

I have seen years of useful information shared by Tommy. He did not invent these slurs, but comes from the generation that did.

If it continued even my brothers tongue would be gone.

I vote remove the topic, give notice that these types of stereotypes and racial slurs have no place here or anywhere for that matter.

Tommy Thompson
Whitewater WI
Last edited by TommyT on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 1htalp9
The post was horrible, full of vitriol. We should all speak up against that kind of bigotry. But to react by banning is worse, IMO. It makes us as intolerant as he seems to be. We are all adults here, big enough to recognize that sputum for what it is.
By sg
1htalp9 wrote:The post was horrible, full of vitriol. We should all speak up against that kind of bigotry. But to react by banning is worse, IMO. It makes us as intolerant as he seems to be. We are all adults here, big enough to recognize that sputum for what it is.
So if someone came into your home and spewed s--- like this, over and over again, you would keep inviting them back? Correct?
By 1htalp9
sg wrote:
1htalp9 wrote:The post was horrible, full of vitriol. We should all speak up against that kind of bigotry. But to react by banning is worse, IMO. It makes us as intolerant as he seems to be. We are all adults here, big enough to recognize that sputum for what it is.
So if someone came into your home and spewed s*** like this, over and over again, you would keep inviting them back? Correct?
Equating a public forum to ones home is a stretch, at best.

You'd know better than me, but this is the first time I have seen this kind of post from soar. Perhaps I would not invite someone into my home to vent, but I would engage them at every opportunity. The only way to defeat ideas is with other ideas... not to silence them.
By JR
There are too many that think free speech should mean free from consequences of their hateful or intolerant speech. There are plenty of places on the Internet where that type of commentary would be tolerated, or even encouraged (KKK.org?), but I hope this isn't one of them.

JR
By 1htalp9
JR wrote:There are too many that think free speech should mean free from consequences of their hateful or intolerant speech. There are plenty of places on the Internet where that type of commentary would be tolerated, or even encouraged (KKK.org?), but I hope this isn't one of them.

JR
I do not think anyone here has advocated that soar's conduct should be "free from consequences."
By Jason
1htalp9 wrote:
sg wrote:
So if someone came into your home and spewed s*** like this, over and over again, you would keep inviting them back? Correct?

You'd know better than me, but this is the first time I have seen this kind of post from soar. Perhaps I would not invite someone into my home to vent, but I would engage them at every opportunity. The only way to defeat ideas is with other ideas... not to silence them.
Its only public because SG leaves the gate open......he built the forum, he pays for the servers

like many LZs that exist of private land (tollhouse/dunlop/any of the flightparks/villa grove/ the crawfords) that the owners let us land on. They can tell us to get lost at any time- or they can tell one member they are not welcome back- its their prerogative.
By sg
Just checking to see if people realize this is not a tax payer funded, government run, public forum. This is private property.

It is exactly like allowing a large group of people to hang out in my home.

Thus the confusion when freedom of speech issues come up.

So its not a stretch at all... because this is NOT a public forum. Some people just mistakingly think or assume it is. Forums on the internet are no different than government properties or private properties.

There are government run forums paid for by the public and there are private forums paid for by individuals.

So now lets ask the question again, in proper context.

Would you allow 100 KKK members onto your PRIVATE property to spew racist rants every week in the name of freedom of speech?

1htalp9 wrote:
sg wrote:
By TomGalvin
1htalp9 wrote:
sg wrote:
It is a private forum. You must register to participate, and your postings are subject to the terms and conditions. SG is the host and made the rules.
Poll on latest USHPA Proposal

:thumbsup: Clear as MUD! Thanks JD. Thought abo[…]

The bluff and the lakes

:ditto: :ditto:

Hang Gliding 2018

Well done and I must say the Canadian Rocky's are […]

NORAD tracking Santa?

Once again this year, North American Air Defense C[…]