All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.

Moderator: mods

By hgflyer
Since I'm on a roll! As SeeMarkfly has stated so eloquently...The USHPA will do nothing to Police it's number one sales person on the west coast (insurance or membership sales). Even if the system they have set up is used and abused by the so called representatives of our sport.

It is a numbers game folks! Take it or live it.
By SeeMarkFly
A Hang Glider Tragedy
(Written, Directed, and Produced by Mark Webber)
(Screenplay by Mike Jefferson)
(From the musical “Lakeview’s Tragic Tangos”)

This story is fictional, any resemblance to real people is your problem, not mine.
Names have been changed to protect people not named Pat.

I live in a region that grows alfalfa. It is the preferred crop around here because it can SNOW on any given day of the year, and that would ruin any other crop. So we grow the stuff that will grow and we deal with any of the problems that might arise from THAT “chosen path”.
We encourage alfalfa to grow ANYWHERE it can, and we discourage weeds growing ANYTIME we can.
This is not a weird analogy, this is not a weird analogy, this is not a weird analogy.
Most of these farmers are bored out of their minds and when I ask them if we can land in their field, they say yes.
When I ask them if they are worried about damaging anything, they just laugh and say, “I’d like to see you try and hurt that bale of hay”.
When I ask them if they are worried about being sued, they say, “YOU jumped the fence and got hurt and then you want me to pay? No thanks”.
So there is Mark, flying around Lakeview, threatening bales of hay and entertaining farmers. Life is good!

One day after landing, the farmer’s daughter was standing beside the fence and said, “I really like your glider”, so I inviter her over to experience a bit of “therapy”. I held her tight as we swooped down the slope together, she thanked me for “making her day”. It was no big deal really, 5 seconds in the air and only two feet of altitude, she didn’t even need a helmet (but I made her wear one anyway).
She fell in love with the air, what started as a chance meeting turned into an annual affair. The winds of fate would place me in her yard, she would come running out of the house hopeful it was me. She looked so pretty leaning on the fence, batting her eyelashes and smiling. I would sweat and stink.
Her voice suddenly raises an octave, “I really like your glider”.

Unbeknownst to them, Pat had been watching. Pat did not understand what these two saw in running down the hill together. His only real love was money, that’s the only thing in his life that was always there for him. Pat could always count on money.
What Pat did notice is that the field made a nice landing zone, and within an easy glide of a real nice launch. So Pat called up the USHpA and ordered up a “hang gliding site” package deal. Complete with waivers and an 800 number.

Mark was not much of a business man and was completely unaware of anything going on, so when he went to set up his glider, Pat stopped him. “You can’t fly here,” he said.
“I live here, I always fly here” Mark replied.
“You need a license to fly here” Quipped Pat.
“I never needed a license before” the other one (Mark) said.
“This is a recognized USHpA flying site, insured for one MILLION dollars”. Pat retorted.
“It’s only bales of hay!” chuckled Mark.
“Get with it” snorted Pat “These are litigious times, You need protection to fly now”.
“How are you going to protect me, I don’t need any protection, I don’t WANT any protection” Mark protested.
“Oh no, the protection is not for you, it’s for the Site or the Spectator. They pay the lawyer, not you” patted Pat.
Mark choked ”That doesn’t make any sense!”.
“That’s why you aren’t in business” smiling Pat.
“OK, OK, but I want to fly. How much?” resigned Mark.
“You want the daily rate or a package deal” Pat inquired.
“I want to fly” guessed Mark.
“195 dollars please” hyped Pat.
“I don’t have that kind of money, I got into hang gliding because it is the cheapest way to fly” lied Mark.
Pat was ready “It still is”.

Well it took Mark many weeks to save up enough to fly his favorite site so his skills had diminished a bit and (being a small town) all the townsfolk had heard about the new million dollar insurance policy. When Mark actually did get in the air, he gyrated a bit more than usual and the townsfolk saw this and wondered if this was that thing worth a million bucks so they strained their necks watching Mark’s new protection.
The other lawyer in town filed a class action suit for the strained necks (because he might get a million bucks).
The townsfolk closed down the flying site (because only the lawyers were making money).

Mark moved on, looking for the America he once knew and loved.

Pat set off to find another hang glider site to “protect”.

The farmer’s daughter no longer sits by the window, hoping to see that brightly colored wing. One day a traveling salesman stopped by and she kind of turned into a slut.
By srskypuppy
Mark,
It is obvious that you take Mikes side and don't like Pat or the way he runs his business. No problem, every man is entitled to his opinion.

But rather than fabricate an insulting story where a reader can’t discern truth from fiction, why don't you tell us what Pat did to you personally?

I would be interested in hearing anything that can be substantiated. Thanks.
By SeeMarkFly
When Mark posts something on the Internet, a small bell goes of in Colorado.
Then they call Ryan.

What happened to Ryan?
By FPeel
Interestingly, Mark's story DOES have a familiar ring to it. Except the part about the slut. Well, maybe that, too, but I can't substantiate it. :P
By Jason
srskypuppy wrote:Mark,
It is obvious that you take Mikes side and don't like Pat or the way he runs his business. No problem, every man is entitled to his opinion.

But rather than fabricate an insulting story where a reader can’t discern truth from fiction, why don't you tell us what Pat did to you personally?

I would be interested in hearing anything that can be substantiated. Thanks.
Mark doesn't believe in making sense to anyone
By SeeMarkFly
srskypuppy wrote:Mark, It is obvious that you take Mikes side
It is obvious that you did not read the disclaimer.
SeeMarkFly wrote:This story is fictional, any resemblance to real people is your problem, not mine.
srskypuppy wrote:fabricate an insulting story where a reader can’t discern truth from fiction,
So I DIDN'T fool you, but you think I might have fooled "others". And you feel that YOU should ACT (for some reason) for these "others" benefit?
I, in FACT, fabricated a FUNNY story. It is YOUR personal opinion is that it is insulting. Who do you think you represent other than yourself?

Jason wrote:Mark doesn't believe in making sense to anyone
All generalities are false, how's THAT!
By AIRTHUG
Yea, sorry I wasn't here to follow up your fictional tale... even now I frankly don't care enough to read that crap.

I've found Mark does have some excellent posts from time to time, but to find them it requires sifting through allllllll his other posts that say USHPA is out to get him, or that anyone in the business is killing the sport.... or the sky is falling... So when I got one line in on that post and read the disclaimer this it was fiction and anyone that takes offense it's their own damn fault, I just scrolled past. Life's too short and I've got better things I could be doing...

As for where I was, yes- I was running an ITS (Instructor Training Seminar), one of the steps of becoming (or staying) a USHPA certified instructor. The clinic went very well, and I feel confident that all of the participants have a good understanding of how to teach/how people learn... and how to teach hang gliding in a safe and progressive manor. Once they finish up loose ends (first aid card, or apprentice checklist, or...) there will be more qualified people to bring new pilots into this wonderful sport. :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

I see Mark had a busy weekend too... writing some fiction.... no matter what he says about USHPA or people that are in the business, I'll let ya'll decide who did more for the sport this weekend :lol:
By SeeMarkFly
Humor is a funny thing, jokes are basically verbal calisthenics, but wit needs a bit of truth to work well.
I have found that when people don’t find things funny, they are too close to the issue.
In this particular situation, the people that found it funny are:
Mark Webber
Mike Jefferson (I acquired his permission BEFORE posting)
Noman3
Frank Peel (Fpeel)
And any lurkers that I made smile (sometime they give me a thumbs-up or send me a PM).

The people that didn’t find it funny are:
Steve Rodrigues
And a few (anonymous) people that voted to bury (within hours (proof that the USHpA is out to get me)).

Ryan Voight seems to be "on the fence" as to whether he is even going to actually READ what I posted, so let me try something witty.
(Now that this is in the Basement)
AIRTHUG wrote:So when I got one line in on that post…………….I just scrolled past
I frankly don't care enough to read that crap..
IF you didn’t read it, then what EXACTALLY was crap?
Is crap anything fiction?
Is crap anything that Mark posts?
Is crap anything on HangGliding(dot)org that YOU didn’t write?
Is crap anything funny (but how did you know it was funny (or not funny) if you didn’t read it)?
Maybe somebody CALLED you and told you it was crap?
Logic indicates that you don’t know siht.
(now there’s logic AND wit (guaranteed funny stuff))

I boil down your opening line to “I am busy, this is crap”.

Then you post personal attacks, you start with a SMALL complement (so you don’t seem like an evil person), then attack.
AIRTHUG wrote:his other posts that say USHPA is out to get him, or that anyone in the business is killing the sport.... or the sky is falling
What do ANY of my other posts, anywhere else, have to do with this situation? This is called a “diversion”.
(trying to lower my credibility too)
I like the ending on this paragraph:
AIRTHUG wrote:Life's too short and I've got better things I could be doing...
Life is too short to stop and laugh at something funny?
Life is too short and you need to keep working so you can afford a nice casket?
Life is too short so you shouldn’t have EVEN clicked on this topic (more wit folks)?
Life is too short so you shouldn’t have EVEN answered me on this topic?

You’ve got better things to do than what you are actually doing here (then why are you here)?
Or you’ve got much better things to do but you have to do THIS instead (following orders)?

I boil this paragraph down to “This is crap, I am busy”.

So far you have "said":
I am busy, this is crap.
This is crap, I am busy.
(NOT much funnier than me YET)
AIRTHUG wrote:all of the participants have a good understanding of how to teach/how people learn... and how to teach hang gliding in a safe and progressive manor.
Is this an actual response to me or are you trying to sell something to someone? It doesn’t seem like you are talking to me at all.
Could it be that NORMALLY you talk (or type) like a Madison Avenue advertising salesman?
AIRTHUG wrote:I'll let ya'll decide who did more for the sport this weekend
OUCH!
Except that I’m NOT in the hang gliding business. I don’t extract my profits from the participants of this sport like you do.
I do whatever I want to do because I like doing it, NOT because rent is due and inventory is not fully paid off and paychecks might bounce if I don't sell, Sell, SELL!
You are comparing apples to oranges.

To summarize your post:
Ryan translator wrote:I am busy, this is crap.
This is crap, I am busy.
Slightly used Superman for sale, cheap!
Apples and oranges.
Now THAT took wit.
(Thank you, thank you, thank you. Don't throw flowers, just send money)

OK your turn.

OR

Should we talk about Mike?

OR

Now that this topic is in the basement, you're USHpA assigned PR job is finally finished?
By liftlover
Has anybody else noticed mike's jury is made up of Pat Denavin's Friends ? He should be judged by people not associated with mission soaring center. This has become a personal vendetta for dave wills, people reporting directly to him from ed levin park anytime mike shows up.
By FPeel
liftlover wrote:Has anybody else noticed mike's jury is made up of Pat Denavin's Friends ? He should be judged by people not associated with mission soaring center. This has become a personal vendetta for dave wills, people reporting directly to him from ed levin park anytime mike shows up.
While in agreement that those sitting in judgment should be as impartial a group as is possible, I have serious doubts about Dave Wills having a personal vendetta against anyone. The assertion simply doesn't jive with my knowledge of and experiences with the man.

But like I said, we're in agreement that the participants are maybe just a tad too closely aligned with the greatest recipient of Mike's demise. There may not be a smoking gun, I sure don't have one, but the appearance of impropriety is there.

Of course, that sort of thing has never changed anything before, so why would it now? That's just business as usual in the South Bay.
By SeeMarkFly
SeeMarkFly wrote:
Jason wrote:Mark doesn't believe in making sense to anyone
All generalities are false, how's THAT!
FALSE

(My statement "All generalities are false" (in order to be TRUE) is false).
I am surprised at you for missing that one Jason.

Some generalities are true (The dead are dead).
By day dreamer
Wing Man wrote:Remember this thread!

Notice how many views it has, and how few have responded.

The"Powers That Be" are afraid of it and putting pressure again.

Remember this thread!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: now fast forward to the irony. Wow, the very people you call out you have become. Yea I remember. You should take your own advice. Hypocrisy 101.

I had the local Auckland Gliding Club airfield to […]

Well that was worth the wait! Mostly clear air m[…]

Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

Well mate you just flew above those walls :lol: […]

involuntarylist

Ive had enough. More than enough agitating peopl[…]