This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By ChattaroyMan
Howdy group - I'm making some hang and para stickers for each state and currently researching foot launched and tow site names for Texas. I use paraglidingearth.com, YouTube, the site wiki on the org, etc. to find site names. So far I have the following:

Indian Creek Airpark
Packsaddle
Lees Lookout
Lake Conroe
Zapata
Big Springs
Agave Hill
Hearne Municipal Airport
Wharton
Leakey

Comments? Any others?
By blindrodie
In Kansas:
Vern's Hill - foot launch (non- insured, no ushpa membership required)
Hardy's - foot launch (non- insured, no ushpa membership required)
Cloud Street - tow launch (the actual name of the tow road - non- insured, no ushpa membership required)

The PG guys and Gals have really helped to improve and re-open local sites there. Pilots still have to prove abilities.
One can not just show up and fly as the FL sites are behind locked gates and have only been used by locals for 40+
years and the tow road use will get you a quick visit by locals to see if you are playing by the "rules"...

Thanks Steve.

8)
By blindrodie
I might put a small tornado graphic on the Kansas sticker
I think that would be appropriate Steve!

8)
By Nate
My $0.02

Packsaddle has not been a site since 2011. Leakey is the only foot launch in Texas that lies in Central Time Zone. It is still open too! The others are 10 hours west in El Paso.

Some of the tow sites are used once a year or less. In 2016, 2017, and (hopefully) 2018 there is a group that (aero)tows regularly out of Smithville.

Don't forget my Texas favorite. :mosh: Refugio, TX :mosh:
By ChattaroyMan
Nate wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:02 am My $0.02

Packsaddle has not been a site since 2011. Leakey is the only foot launch in Texas that lies in Central Time Zone. It is still open too! The others are 10 hours west in El Paso.

Some of the tow sites are used once a year or less. In 2016, 2017, and (hopefully) 2018 there is a group that (aero)tows regularly out of Smithville.

Don't forget my Texas favorite. :mosh: Refugio, TX :mosh:
Is Smithville a location different from the others I've listed (does it have more than one name)?