This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By javadd
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this great forum for a while and I've found it very useful. I thought I introduce myself and our group.

My name is Javad and I am learning hang gliding in Iran.

There is a small but growing number of hang glider pilots in Iran. hang gliding started in Iran in 1970s and boomed in 1990s. After the nineties there was a decline in the population of pilots in Iran, but it's been a few years that a new wave of pilots have joined this fantastic sport.

We have some good pilots and nice flying sites and I think it would be great if we could get in contact with pilots from around the world.

so looking forward to hearing from you guys! :)
By DAVE 858
AWESOME! I am just curious as to what the Airspace Rules are in Iran?
By javadd
Thanks Windlord and Dave

As for air space rules in Iran, as long as you don't enter urban territory or military facilities, you are generally ok to fly anywhere you want, I will post some pictures of our flying sites soon.
By snowbird
Welcome to the forum!
My wife and I lived in Isfahan from 1977 to 1979. Built a textile fiber plant but were forced to leave because of the revolution. The plant is up and running ( as far as I know) a beatiful country with great people. I wish you the best with your hanggliding adventure!
By AlaskanNewb
Post some pictures of your sites.
Would love to see this.

Thanks for posting.
By javadd
snowbird wrote:Welcome to the forum!
My wife and I lived in Isfahan from 1977 to 1979. Built a textile fiber plant but were forced to leave because of the revolution. The plant is up and running ( as far as I know) a beatiful country with great people. I wish you the best with your hanggliding adventure!
Thanks a lot,

Yes, some Americans did great job helping industrialize Iran in that period and I have heard from many people that Americans were kind and generous. I hope one day the good relations between the two people restores to its friendly past. I am still doing hill training and so far I have had good progress and I hope to become a solo pilot soon :thumbsup:
By javadd
this first site is called "Farim" and is located in northern Iran. it does not have a high altitude but beautiful scenery. the pilot is my good friend Farzad:
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (77.35 KiB) Viewed 13713 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (119.24 KiB) Viewed 13713 times
By javadd
This one is called "Sharan" and is located west of Tehran and has a great view of the city. pilots are my dear friends Sohrab and Hadi. I'll post some pictures and videos from our other sites soon. :thumbsup:
Attachments
Shahran.jpg
Shahran.jpg (56.72 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
Shahran2.jpg
Shahran2.jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
Shahran3.jpg
Shahran3.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
Shahran4.jpg
Shahran4.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
Shahran5.jpg
Shahran5.jpg (112.03 KiB) Viewed 13710 times
By Flyingseb
Wow, I like this!
Iran has always had my interest as a tourist destination. There is so much here to be seen, and I follow the recent improvements with attention. One of my colleague at work was Iranian, and I had a very good connection with him.
I would love to fly there also. As a 10 years + experienced pilot, it could be a good opportunity to help local pilots to avoid mistakes, and enjoy their flights ( I'm not an certified instructor).
By Mr Pou
Very nice, I love the pictures of flying over Tehran, what great views of the city.
By javadd
Thanks Flyingseb and Mr Pou,

You are most welcome to come and fly with us. We'd love to exchange experiences with good pilots from around the world. I have a great instructor here who is both very experienced and knowledgeable, But the more contact we have with pilots from around the world, our knowledge base will be richer and as you said will helps us enjoy our flights more and we also love to share our sky and joy of flight with fellow pilots.
:) :thumbsup:
By garett21b
Welcome to the club! I'm also new here. Nice pics you have there.
By javadd
Thanks Garret, I always find myself checking hanggliding.org several times a day and I love this forum. :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
By Jason
Looks like you guys are having a good time.

:thumbsup:
By zamuro
Love the pictures with Tehran in the background . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By red9823
javadd wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am Thanks Garret, I always find myself checking hanggliding.org several times a day and I love this forum. :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
Javadd, are you still active flying in Iran? A Iranian contacted me that wants to learn hang gliding. Where or whome should he talk to about that? Thanks!
By EricoSchmitt
red9823 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:39 pm
Javadd, are you still active flying in Iran? A Iranian contacted me that wants to learn hang gliding. Where or whome should he talk to about that? Thanks!

There are pilots.
https://www.instagram.com/hangglidingiran/
https://www.instagram.com/kahani.hadi/

and I think https://www.instagram.com/windfried0866/ has more contacts there.