This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By HGXC
I was a wrestler in High School and earned a athletic scholarship for college. In those years I was 5'9" and about 160 lbs off season and wrestled 127lbs in High School and 134lbs in college.

What we did to pull weight in those years would make you hair stand! I lived in a plastic sweet suit and took my study halls in the sweet box next to the gym. I lived dehydrated.

It was worse in college as I started to fill out ( I'm broad shouldered and do not have a skinny frame...played linebacker in football).

Today I sadly am overweight and probably because of the torture memories of those years have a hard time with diets and a real addiction for IPA beers :mrgreen:

All that said i hope to lose 15 lbs over this winter. I think its doable.

Dennis
By Helix3
Bouyo wrote:...Excercise is the key. If you excercise then you don't want to eat as much, crazy!

The way to excercise WITHOUT EXCERCISING is to take up a competitive sport like Squash, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Badminton, Volley Ball to name a few. Then you'll work your ass off and enjoy it. Life it too short to be running on a tread mill.
Yes!
Used to play street hockey in NYC. *Fun* way to run 3 miles easy without even realizing it :wink:
By Jason
Bouyo wrote:Here's my two cents, as I skinny 30 something who never had to think about it so probably doesn't know anything;

Don't give up eating things you like. Drink beer, whatever. Just ADD veggies/carbs/fruit. You want to fill up on the healthy things, then you won't end up eating trash.

Excercise is the key. If you excercise then you don't want to eat as much, crazy!

The way to excercise WITHOUT EXCERCISING is to take up a competitive sport like Squash, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Badminton, Volley Ball to name a few. Then you'll work your ass off and enjoy it. Life it too short to be running on a tread mill.

Just my two cents.
im sort of in your boat.......32 and I' have been 155-165 pounds since i was 18, when i was running a lot i dropped to the 155 range, when i was lifting i went up to about 165......last night I think i was 161.......give or take a s---.......

a beer isn't going to kill you, however you do need to eat healthy.....I eat food, and i eat it often........my wife likes to run on treadmills and go to spin classes......I'll go with her to the spin classes, i don't necessarily enjoy them, and I can't do a treadmill for more than 6-7 minutes( a mile) to warm up.....I detest them

like dave, I like my bike, don't ride it enough, but i like it......if its tennis, play tennis, find something you like, and do it.....

then eat GOOD food, there is PLENTY of good healthy foods, sugar is the real enemy, and its EVERYWHERE, coke , dietcoke, coke zero etc etc etc........none of that s--- is good for you......

or see a nutritionist......they know more than most hg pilots......
By Felix
Good idea for a change in your life, Dan!
Like many others said here already, the main thing is a change in eating habits. From personal experience I can assure you this is the "secret". I started eating healthy (no processed foods, nu sugars, even no gluten) for different reasons and not for weight loss about 8 months ago. My body changed drastically. Again, I didn't do this for weight loss, but that surely did happen, as a side effect! Feeling healthier all around, including psychologically sure is nice :)
A goal for losing this much weight in this much time puts unnecessary stress on you and it'll make it seem like a hard task and will be psychologically draining... the very reason diets don't work in the long run. Once you lost that much weight your old habits will come back since you've "reached your goal, now you can reward yourself, and soon after go back to your old lifestyle"...A change in life habits is what's needed. May seem difficult at first, but once you're used to the new way of life you'll ask yourself how could you have lived any different way until now!
All the best, buddy! Hope to fly with you sometime soon :mosh:
By Jason
the one thing I will say is that people tend to DRAMATICALLY overestimate how much energy they burn (and then treat themselves)

recently I did a 3 hr 10 minute hike, 8 miles up to 13,000 feet, with 2500+ feet of climbing......its estimated I burned 1150 calories

oct 17 last year I did 102 milies and 7000 feet of climbing on my bike and burned 4500 calories

compare that with how many calories are in some meals, and you can see that an 8 mile hike is really just a burrito.......
By piano_man
Last winter there was one day I couldn't zip up my harness without a lot of help. I hadn't flown for a couple of months and at that time was eating too much junk in general and ice cream (my weakness). I'm usually at 175 lbs, but last winter was 185 or more and with winter clothes it made my harness way too small, LOL. So I started tracking my diet (every morsel consumed) and was quite surprised how carbs were my problem. With some daily but moderate exercise and cutting back on sugar and especially carbs I lost the 10 lbs within 6 weeks while eating very well - 3 square meals and 2 healthy snacks. One thing I like about <myfitnesspal> is how users can upload macro data. It was fairly easy to find everything I ate in their database. btw, I now stay between 170 - 175. I just weigh myself and if I'm 175 especially first thing in the morning I make it a point to avoid ice-cream, sugary snacks, boxed foods etc. If I'm at 172 or lower especially at night, I'll allow my self some cake and ice cream or whatever. All that said, I think what is really the issue here is not weight but shape. It's just easier to measure weight vs measure fitness. In other words, IMO how much you weigh is not nearly as important as to how much body fat you carry e.g, how many inches are around the waist line.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
By miraclepieco
I'm rooting for you fatties to lose some weight so us skinny guys will finally be able to find used equipment in our size! :thumbsup:
By patrick halfhill
so nice to know i'm not the only fatty in the sport. I was 250 lbs in January. I know about calorie deficit and exersice but I just couldn't put it all together. I got p90 from beach body and the best part of it for me was the eating plan. I've lost 36 lbs and feel great. If you don't have much time to exercise and want to lose weight check it out
By Darbbb
designbydave wrote:
Helix3 wrote:Tried cutting out all sugar but like Virgil's root beer + ketchup too much.
Absolutely cut out the sugary drinks 100%. That includes beer. So sorry guys.

Beverages with calories are in almost all cases empty calories and will just hamper your efforts. That includes sugary sports drinks. Gatorade, Vitamin water etc. If you are doing cardio over 1 hour or so, then yes, you may benefit from electrolytes depending on the activity. Otherwise just stick with water. When I go out for 1 hour bike rides I do only water no matter the intensity. Over 1 hour and I bring a drink mix.

Switch to diet soda. The transition sucks, but once you get use to it you will prefer it and regular soda becomes WAY too syrupy.

Also, try hard candy like Jolly Ranchers to get your sugar fix. Each one has only 23.3 calories and they last a long time.
Don't switch to diet soda. Switch to water. Diet soda is just as bad for you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... -study-fi/
By designbydave
Which is worse, the supposed small increase in the chance of developing diabetes that was found in this one study or the definite increase in the chance of developing diabetes as well as all the other major health complications that come from being overweight/obese?

If switching to diet soda helps you loose weight, switch to diet soda.
Darbbb wrote:
designbydave wrote:
Helix3 wrote:Tried cutting out all sugar but like Virgil's root beer + ketchup too much.
Absolutely cut out the sugary drinks 100%. That includes beer. So sorry guys.

Beverages with calories are in almost all cases empty calories and will just hamper your efforts. That includes sugary sports drinks. Gatorade, Vitamin water etc. If you are doing cardio over 1 hour or so, then yes, you may benefit from electrolytes depending on the activity. Otherwise just stick with water. When I go out for 1 hour bike rides I do only water no matter the intensity. Over 1 hour and I bring a drink mix.

Switch to diet soda. The transition sucks, but once you get use to it you will prefer it and regular soda becomes WAY too syrupy.

Also, try hard candy like Jolly Ranchers to get your sugar fix. Each one has only 23.3 calories and they last a long time.

By TomGalvin
I am only making two changes.

Reduce my intake of sugars and starches.

Increase my level of activity.
By Darbbb
designbydave wrote:Which is worse, the supposed small increase in the chance of developing diabetes that was found in this one study or the definite increase in the chance of developing diabetes as well as all the other major health complications that come from being overweight/obese?

If switching to diet soda helps you loose weight, switch to diet soda.
Darbbb wrote:
designbydave wrote: Absolutely cut out the sugary drinks 100%. That includes beer. So sorry guys.

Oh the deleterious effects of diet soda are much more extensive than just the possibility of diabetes, not the least of which is diet sodas cause you to gain weight. And those effects have been documented in many, many studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780952

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951976/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19151203

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4498394/

A little research goes a long way.

BB