This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By ChattaroyMan
Wrote this story in the Spring and it ended up in the July issue of an Inland NW monthly rag called OutThereMonthly (http://www.outtheremonthly.com/). It's a great publication targeted to the outdoor recreation crowd around Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID. Lucky for us it was in the July issue when OutThere also sponsored a one day outdoor sporting event called Spokatopia (http://www.spokatopia.com). Our club had a booth at the event where we set up two hang gliders. The PR has paid off a wee bit so far in that we've attracted some interest and definitely righted some misconceptions about our sport while chatting with Spokatopia event goers. The publication is also free and I've stockpiled around 50-60 copies to hand out to wuffos whenever I meet them while out flying.

If you have any sort of area publications - especially the free ones - it is worth getting your pen in hand (or keyboard) and scratch out a story. In writing this story the Editor has asked me to write one on winter flying as well. Hear that Mike? We've got to do some winter Inkler's flying to get photos for the story :-) OutThere also wants a story for next summer too.
Attachments
MainStory.jpg
MainStory.jpg (258.4 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
StoryText.jpg
StoryText.jpg (211.15 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Last edited by ChattaroyMan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By blindrodie
:mosh: :mosh:

8)
By Skyvine
Nice job, Steve, and thanks for sharing.
By ChattaroyMan
blindrodie wrote::mosh: :mosh:
8)
Skyvine wrote:Nice job, Steve, and thanks for sharing.
Thanks you 2! Can't wait to do the winter story. My new Tracer has the 1/4" foam option & I have rest of winter gear. Just gotta hit a decent fresh snow day for the scenic quality :-) We gave winter flying a good go this past 'winter' but we had squat for snow at lower elevation flying sites. Might have to hit up a snowmobile club to take us higher up :)
By soarass
You have a nice turn of phrase in that article. I believe it's a bit more polished than your usual here on the forum. In a couple years when we are in your part of the country, after I retire and say goodbye to the Republik of Kalifornia, I will be flying more and maybe trying to emulate you by trying my hand at writing. There is magic lurking in the written language which is unapproachable any other way. Maybe by writing more, authors can encourage young people to realize and embrace the idea that reading is a survival skill and something to be striven for. I hope to meet you and your fellow pilots and fly with ya'll
By ChattaroyMan
soarass wrote:You have a nice turn of phrase in that article. I believe it's a bit more polished than your usual here on the forum. In a couple years when we are in your part of the country, after I retire and say goodbye to the Republik of Kalifornia, I will be flying more and maybe trying to emulate you by trying my hand at writing. There is magic lurking in the written language which is unapproachable any other way. Maybe by writing more, authors can encourage young people to realize and embrace the idea that reading is a survival skill and something to be striven for. I hope to meet you and your fellow pilots and fly with ya'll
Thanks! It really turned out better than my usual blitherings. I tried to write it to both capture how I feel about the sport and to get the interest of outdoor folks who really like challenging & rewarding endeavors. Mike's photo of the Columbia River on a 40-50 mi flight prolly opened some eyes too. Most people just do not know what we can do. Nothing I could write can capture what that photo imparts. I'm glad OutThere chose it for the main photo (I submitted around 20 photos). Each of us has a story or 100 to tell. Mine just sorta came out of me one morning as the deadline for the July issue was about to end. :mrgreen: