This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By ryder115
designbydave wrote:And here we are again, everyone talking about how they would gladly put money into supporting video projects, yet only 60 people have put their money where their keyboards are. -
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... oject#home

These guys are doing exactly what we need to do. The only thing we can do that is affordable and effective at promoting hang gliding.

Less endless forum speculating / armchair promoting, more actually supporting.
I totally agree with Dave here, this is the kind of thing we need. I gave some money and am super excited to see something like this happen, but I still think that the only people who know about the Rhythm of Flight project are current pilots, so I don't know how much good its doing for spreading the sport to the general public. Maybe this is where those commercials would come in handy?

OverloadUT wrote:
I am personally a contradiction to this. Anecdotal evidence of course, but I always knew I wanted to fly, but had no idea that hang gliding was what it is. I nearly took up wing-suiting because of ads that I saw. If I had seen a hang gliding ad instead I would have taken up this sport a lot earlier.

I've talked to many others that were the same: they just plain didn't realize that hang gliding was even an actual option, because they were never exposed to it, or the only exposure that they had was in popular media which was usually negative. My idea would expose people to the positive stuff and do it where they are already visiting.
I had a similar experience here; I have been interested in aviation since I was very young and at the time that I took my first hg tandem, I thought that I wanted to get my airplane license and become a commercial/military pilot. It wasn't until I was exposed to Kitty Hawk's commercial advertising that I even knew that hang gliding was a thing. I mean, I'd barely even heard of it! After taking dune lessons followed by a tandem, only THEN did I start looking for videos of hang gliding online. And the video that got me super hooked? Ryan Voight's Willard with Smokes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sgP9G3H9xI

Like littlepilot was saying earlier:
littlepilot wrote:I was thinking something a little more spicy though....
custom gliders
aerobatics
at least for someone my age, seeing this kind of thing brings on a strong interest.
By littlepilot
Ryder is again onto something....

Willard with smokes is a HUGE attraction for young people....why? cause its COOL!!!! Daves films are super super cool and unbelievably well done but the one thing they lack is some jacked up hardcore aero sessions and people going crazzzzzzyyyyyyyy.....like ryan does
i cant even tell you how may times ive watched the big sur dreaming awake....because i love this sport!!!! but they only loop once!!! if you get some amazing footage with a heli of people going nuts....that is a public eye catcher....

now i know what most of you are gonna say

"Well then everyone thinks we are crazy....."

Maybe,,,,but follow it with a bunch of smooth beautiful flying with perfect landings and nondramatic stuff....

I know Im 17 but.....ive seen plenty and flown plenty and I know what young people like...we play violent video games for a reason....

THEY ARE EXCITING
By red
designbydave wrote:
red wrote:I'd send some money to support good video efforts, but only by SnailMail. Any video aces needing funds might consider having a mailing address available, for people who want to avoid putting money on the Internet.
That's nice of you to offer Red, but time to get with the 21st century bud. Use a credit card and your transactions are secure.
Dave,

I do not insist on sending my money anywhere, but I would insist that the fewest possible number of people or organizations see it go by.

No problem here, bud.

:mrgreen:
By Nicos
littlepilot wrote:Ryder is again onto something....now i know what most of you are gonna say

"Well then everyone thinks we are crazy....."

Maybe,,,,but follow it with a bunch of smooth beautiful flying with perfect landings and nondramatic stuff....
I get your point and am glad to see someone actively promoting HG, though I try to always present some excitement mixed with serenity, something that doesn't present it as a crazy thrill-seeking dangerous activity. That way you might attract the 5% rather than the 1% who might may be more likely to endanger the sport by doing crazy chit all the time. It will always be a fringe sport.

Something like this perhaps?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r4gB0urNUI[/youtube]
By uvflyer
As far as I see I'm on the young side as well (23), but would find it great if more people of my age join the sport.

Unfortunately most people of my age are studying or are paying their study debt, don't have cars, don't have room for storage, don't want the hassle and simple don't have the money. Trying to get some friends involved and I'm progressing greatly, but no one so far has joined :cry:.
By Mr Pou
Takeo77 wrote:
blindrodie wrote:Hay Takeo77 that Ashley is a natural in my book.

GET HER SOME EYE WEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)
I have suggested that to her. I fly with glasses, but I've had enough crap in my face to order some prescription ballistic lenses (hey I can use em for shooting too k?) so that's in the works.

She flies very well.
In some ways I'm quite the cheap bastid. I've been using these for years and have a pair in each vehicle as well as several scattered about the house and garage. Optically excellent and safety glass rated. And at $5.96 a pop, you don't cry if you lose them or sit on them. I see absolutely no reason to spend hundred$ on fancy name brand shades. I wear them all the time as sunglasses and give a rats arse what people think of the "3M" on the temple. :lol:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Prot ... ifications
By ryder115
Nicos wrote:
I get your point and am glad to see someone actively promoting HG, though I try to always present some excitement mixed with serenity, something that doesn't present it as a crazy thrill-seeking dangerous activity. That way you might attract the 5% rather than the 1% who might may be more likely to endanger the sport by doing crazy chit all the time. It will always be a fringe sport.

A promotional video like this with cool aerobatics as well as maybe some serene soaring footage, then give a link at the end to a website with more info. I think it would be super helpful to have a site aimed at people who have never flown before and know nothing about the sport. For example, there could be vids with interviews sharing flying/training experiences from all age and skill level pilots, detailed examples of all the different training types available (scooter tow, foot launch, aerowtow, etc.), a break down of what it takes cost and time wise to train, and where to find the closest school to at least give a tandem a try....
By littlepilot
ryder115 wrote:
Nicos wrote:

A promotional video like this with cool aerobatics as well as maybe some serene soaring footage, then give a link at the end to a website with more info. I think it would be super helpful to have a site aimed at people who have never flown before and know nothing about the sport. For example, there could be vids with interviews sharing flying/training experiences from all age and skill level pilots, detailed examples of all the different training types available (scooter tow, foot launch, aerowtow, etc.), a break down of what it takes cost and time wise to train, and where to find the closest school to at least give a tandem a try....

see now ryder is making some damn good points....thats an idea i think everyone could get behind
By blindrodie
I think we can all get behind good exposure for the sport of hang gliding. Getting it done however, is very time consuming and costly. This is where the "buck" stops...

8)
By davisstraub
I very seriously doubt that hang gliding videos will move the needle at all when it comes to nation-wide growth in participation in the sport.

That does not mean that I don't financially support the production of hang gliding videos, I do. I also produce them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/davisstraub

I have also been publicizing hang gliding since 1996.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ht-project
By Roadrunner
Hang Gliding, just like say flying any other Air-Craft is a "DO" activity. It seems that young people today have taken to activities that Challenge them in ways that you and I can not imagine. Because their time is being taken up some other way when they do have free-Time to spare doing activities other than say work, or going to School.
By Marcos70
It really is not even the issue because "Leaders" of the sport seem completely oblivious to very expensive nature of the sport. I blame the way professional instructors often make the experience of learning and getting rated to cost thousands of dollars, to say nothing the push to sell new gliders, new harnesses, new instruments. I fully support the idea of amateur instructors that may be compensated nominally, but where their whole livelihood is hinged on how much coin they can milk out of every student whom more and more rarely walk in the door. I learned when I was 21 and there is no way it ever would have happened without non-pro instructors and mentors that taught for the love of the sport and not how they'll pay the bills. Maybe coops could form where shared gliders to train on could be formed and clubs could share the time burden to go to training hills and observe. Sharing transportation and fundraising by clubs could help too.
By Dave Gills
My other sport is auto racing and it is much more expensive.
There are fewer tracks than launch sites so there are many hours spent on the road.
There is nothing fun about towing a trailer.

There are many times more auto racers than HG pilots in my state.
I'm not buying the logistics & money argument.

Yea...We have a problem in Pa.
I've been living here my whole life and didn't know there were any active pilots around.

All our glider bags should say...
"ASK ME ABOUT LEARNING TO HANG GLIDE"
In big letters down the side.

Many times when I stop to buy something with that car behind me I get asked qustions about auto racing.
(I have an open trailer so you can see the racecar)

People are curious and when you let them know that they are welcome to ask questions, they will.

Same goes for sports like SCUBA & skydiving.