This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By deeprecon1
I have no experience and don’t claim this is the fix all for others who are looking to fly in the seated position for comfort or medical reasons.

I talked with a 30yr plus pilot who has been flying in a Exofit harness made by Sala. The harness is designed for industrial safety “fall protection” with an addition seat. The set up looked simple, no need for a spreader bar.

I asked him to share his set up with HG community …. Hoping this will help someone out there who is unable to fly prone.

Exofit Tower Climbing Vest Style Harness (1108650)

http://dbi-sala-safety.com/fall-protection/sku-1108650/

By peanuts
glider rigged differently for seated flying. little thing called cg
By Alan
peanuts wrote:glider rigged differently for seated flying. little thing called cg
If the seated harness is hanging from the same point as the prone harness, why would the CG change?
By peanuts
ok. too fast an answer. how about rake of cb. perhaps that would be easier to understand
By zamuro
Alan wrote:
peanuts wrote:glider rigged differently for seated flying. little thing called cg
If the seated harness is hanging from the same point as the prone harness, why would the CG change?
The problem is the position that your arms end up relative to the hanging point and control bar. It would be different if you are seated, prone or supine. Also if you are seated (or supine) you cannot go through the control frame.as you can when prone (or suprone).
By Alan
OK that makes sense.

Is there a way to set up a glider to easily convert from prone to seated harnesses, or do the nose/rear wires actually have to change length?

It also occurred to me that with a seated harness the CG might be lower than with a prone harness. If so the main effect would be that control inputs would be stronger. Is this right?
By Nicos
Thanks for the post.

I really want to go supine without modifying the geometry of my glider... is that possible while still having good control for launch/landing??
By pec1985
Just bend the down tubes forward, a lot! :crazy:
That would cool for beach flying!
By Avnav8r
Hey,

Go suprone...supine over the bar with a paragliding harness. You still launch as though you are flying prone (bar is in the same position as prone). Once you are in the air, you can go supine over the bar. About 15 years ago, there was a slight fad towards this type of flying and was call "skyfloating".

John Stokes
By Avnav8r
deeprecon1 wrote:I have no experience and don’t claim this is the fix all for others who are looking to fly in the seated position for comfort or medical reasons.

I talked with a 30yr plus pilot who has been flying in a Exofit harness made by Sala. The harness is designed for industrial safety “fall protection” with an addition seat. The set up looked simple, no need for a spreader bar.

I asked him to share his set up with HG community …. Hoping this will help someone out there who is unable to fly prone.

Exofit Tower Climbing Vest Style Harness (1108650)

http://dbi-sala-safety.com/fall-protection/sku-1108650/

Hey,

Looks like that harness can be worn with ass-less chaps. Maybe Malcolm Jones can get one of those strippers that get free flights for flying naked to model one :lol:

John Stokes
By zamuro
There was a thread a while ago of somebody in oz (I can't remember) that describes his experience adapting a litespeed for supine flying.
By david888
Avian the UK hang glider manufacturer offer seated options on a number of their gliders
By Cal Glider
hmmm, looks cool. Lot better than the swing seat I had. no joke it was plastic from a Sears swing seat like ones you see in backyards everywhere. Eipper made a vary basic (still had the yellow Sears seat), but better harness for the old Quicksilver M.
and yea it's more a move the bar for comfort thing.
thanks for info...is there a video of it flying? Because my broke my spine (I miss my predator) a long time ago.
By DarkAgesHGPilot
Alan wrote:OK that makes sense.

Is there a way to set up a glider to easily convert from prone to seated harnesses, or do the nose/rear wires actually have to change length?

It also occurred to me that with a seated harness the CG might be lower than with a prone harness. If so the main effect would be that control inputs would be stronger. Is this right?
In the 70's we modified a lot of gliders to be able to fly seated or prone. If you are interested in how, I might be able to find an old drawing.
By SupineHG
zamuro wrote:There was a thread a while ago of somebody in oz (I can't remember) that describes his experience adapting a litespeed for supine flying.
The post "Supine conversions on Airborne Fun 190 and Moyes XT 165" details some of my experience of successful transition to supine flying. Now having experienced the comforts of it I would not fly any other way.
I am not able to post the direct link to post as the following message appears trying to insert a link. " SORRY, new users cannot post messages containing http links util the admin verifies they are not spammers "

SupineHG from Downunder
By red
SupineHG wrote:
zamuro wrote:There was a thread a while ago of somebody in oz (I can't remember) that describes his experience adapting a litespeed for supine flying.
The post "Supine conversions on Airborne Fun 190 and Moyes XT 165" details some of my experience of successful transition to supine flying. Now having experienced the comforts of it I would not fly any other way.
I am not able to post the direct link to post as the following message appears trying to insert a link. " SORRY, new users cannot post messages containing http links util the admin verifies they are not spammers "
SupineHG from Downunder
SupineHG,

If you make just two more posts, to any topic on this site, you will not see that "spam" message again. There is no minimum requirement on the content of these new posts. "I agree" or "Nice video" would be enough to count as a post.

:mrgreen:
By SupineHG
red wrote:
If you make just two more posts, to any topic on this site, you will not see that "spam" message again. There is no minimum requirement on the content of these new posts. "I agree" or "Nice video" would be enough to count as a post.

:mrgreen:
agree once