This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By davisstraub
I had dinner last night with Lauren. She was of course upset about what happened here. As her previous posts had not presented a problem, she didn't know that she was doing anything wrong. I'm sure that you can understand that.

She is using her low paying part time job to promote part time (as much as she can) hang gliding and hang gliding in Florida. She has raised the profile of hang gliding making it more of a destination activity for people coming to Florida for fun.

We are all into promoting hang gliding, and this seems like a good way to do it.

Why not encourage her instead?
By Fred Wilson
I for one thought the (ad) video was absolutely spectacular.

... And posted it elsewhere - just posted the wording a little different.
- long before this thread came up. Saying:

"This absolutely spectacularly positive video is just the sort of thing our sport needs to get everyone doing and posting everywhere."

So if people want a direct url to the non-commercial post of this, go (2nd post at)
http://www.westcoastsoaringclub.com/for ... php?t=7074

I have taken the liberty of posting it elsewhere too.
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By davisstraub
Okay, here I think is the deal.

Lauren gets to keep her job (which for us means that she gets to keep promoting hang gliding) if there are a good number of clicks on her posts to Visit Florida.

She doesn't get to keep her job and doesn't get to keep promoting hang gliding on the Visit Florida site if pilots click on the video at You Tube. Only if they click on the video on the Visit Florida site.

She doesn't have a way to pay hanggliding.org for her hang gliding advertisement. And Visit Florida has no interest in paying hanggliding.org for advertising.

So is the problem obvious?

Is the solution obvious?

Don't we want to promote hang gliding?
By davisstraub
Fred, see above.
By Fred Wilson
davisstraub wrote:Fred, see above. Re Lauren needing click counts.
Already starting to do this Davis. Lotta work.
Its splattered all over the place - in other languages too.
A whole whack are on (mostly foreign) Yahoo forums.

Fortunately I can delete those now (Yahoo has improved a tiny bit.) ... and repost.. time consuming.
By Fred Wilson
Dang it Davis. I can not find the direct url to her video now.
Email me at ftlwilson@REMOVE_THISshaw.ca (cutting out the obvious.)

Dang it SG
Just accept advertizing via revenue to you.
$50 - $100 per year - paypal to you. (example)

Then you add the ad to the banner.
- it (the header) is crap full of crap banners ads that have NOTHING TO DO with the sport.

or tell people how to go about this, hoping you make money out of it:
"Anyone can advertise on this site via the google adwords program

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/a ... er=1704410"

Dang it SG

Add some whiz kid techno dweebs who have proven themselves ultra valuable and good to the moderator list.
This forum is HUGE. Enjoy it. Don't work yourself to death on it.
We love it. LOVE IT.
By davisstraub
I think that SG could use a few donations.

Of course, he could always personally thank those who provide those donations to encourage more.
By davisstraub
Fred, you'll find the link to Lauren's URL on my site. Today's issue.
By Windlord
If Lauren was in on google adwords and I saw her banner advertisement above the header for HG in Florida,
I would be more likely to click on it rather than stumble upon it within a thread.
I believe the response would be farther reaching than just a thread that eventually will work it way off the board.
The adwords seems pretty straight forward to use.
By davisstraub
Indeed. Perhaps she can convince Visit Florida to use adwords.
By davisstraub
After all she is just a part time contact employee.
By lbunner
Wow SG, alot of emotion over this. Detracts from the joy of HG. I hope you've scratched your itch and can move on to promoting hang gliding again.
By davisstraub
I wonder why Larry would feel that way then? Ignorance?
By davisstraub
Trolling?

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Doesn't really seem to apply.