This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By hgflyer
Does anyone know where I can get some tow line for a good price? I'm currently looking at amsteel blue or something as good or better.

Thanks
By Andrew Vanis
Ask Kent Robinson in Dallas. Last time I talked to him he had a lead on some good stuff he just installed on his winch.

He's a member here but no Idea what his username in on here.
By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:Ask Kent Robinson in Dallas. Last time I talked to him he had a lead on some good stuff he just installed on his winch.

He's a member here but no Idea what his username in on here.
Thanks Andrew for the lead. I talked to George H. in Sacramento. His supplier is all sold out!

I'll contact Kent through Ushpa members...

Anyone else know of anyone who can help tow the line to find some tow line? :lol:
By Andrew Vanis
hgflyer wrote:I'll contact Kent through Ushpa members...
I would have given you that link but Kent is not in "Pilot Connect" which is probably just an oversight on his part since he's one of the friendliest persons I know.

Just remembered Kent is a WW dealer. from - http://www.willswing.com/dealerListing.asp

CLOUDSTREETS HG
2404 Oak Grove DR
Plano, TX 75074 USA
Voice: (214)-244-4494
Kent Robinson
map

side gripe - I have an issue that USHPA members can't easily contact other USHPA members. I do think the current batch of RDs and the Executive committee is open and working on better communication.
By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:
hgflyer wrote:I'll contact Kent through Ushpa members...
I would have given you that link but Kent is not in "Pilot Connect" which is probably just an oversight on his part since he's one of the friendliest persons I know.

Just remembered Kent is a WW dealer. from - http://www.willswing.com/dealerListing.asp

CLOUDSTREETS HG
2404 Oak Grove DR
Plano, TX 75074 USA
Voice: (214)-244-4494
Kent Robinson
map

side gripe - I have an issue that USHPA members can't easily contact other USHPA members. I do think the current batch of RDs and the Executive committee is open and working on better communication.
OK?
By Andrew Vanis
I think I understand your "?"

my post would have made more sense if I was replying to this statement
hgflyer wrote:I'll contact Kent through Ushpa
I thought you wrote about finding Kent through - https://ushpa.aero/member_directory.asp

there ushpa members can only get contacted by other ushpa members only if they opt-in for "Pilot connect" which most ushpa members don't even know is an option they can opt-in to.
By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:I think I understand your "?"

my post would have made more sense if I was replying to this statement
hgflyer wrote:I'll contact Kent through Ushpa
I thought you wrote about finding Kent through - https://ushpa.aero/member_directory.asp

there ushpa members can only get contacted by other ushpa members only if they opt-in for "Pilot connect" which most ushpa members don't even know is an option they can opt-in to.
Thanks again Andrew for posting his contact info. I'll give him a call today. :thumbsup:
By hgflyer
j120bowman wrote:7/64" (1,600 lb strength) Amsteel is available from Seattle Marine for $0.14/ft.

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcar ... 74#details
That is exactly what I was looking for JB. Thanks for sharing this :thumbsup:

I spoke with Kent this morning...I have 5k of towline heading my way in a few days.

Thanks again guys! I'll let George in Sacramento know of the Amsteel deal.
By lostgriz
You might contact Steve Wendt at Blue Sky in VA. With all of his scooter towing, truck towing and winch building, I am sure he probably has a source nailed down.
By Andrew Vanis
hgflyer wrote:I have 5k of towline heading my way in a few days.
Glad it worked out.

So what did you get from where and why?

Let us learn from your experience.
By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:
hgflyer wrote:I have 5k of towline heading my way in a few days.
Glad it worked out.

So what did you get from where and why?

Let us learn from your experience.
Thanks again Andrew and thanks to Kent for being really cool and helpful.

I've been shopping for tow line for a couple weeks now. Here are a list of things I wanted in tow line.

1)light weight

2)durable

3)stretch resistance

4)small diameter

5)easy to splice

6)minimum 1,200 lbs load strength

7)inexpensive

Knowing the Amsteel blue is my first choice and preference. It is expensive for a start up operation such as mine. The tow line currently on my spool is an older type (ultraline) polyester twisted 3/16 diameter. I can run more tows with the current line, but I just want everything to be fresh for my first test tows. Here's the kicker and why a chose to follow Kents advice. The type he is excited about and uses is a double braided, hollow, polyester, 3/16. 5k feet for a little over 200 bucks. For now...this fits my budget. This will be my first experience using and testing this type of tow line. The only areas I maybe compromising is weight and line stretch. I'll find out next week once I start initial preliminary testing. If everything goes well under light load testing, Bill Cuddy plans to make a trip from Reno NV to help put a payout clinic for me and a handful of others in the S.F. bay area.
By blindrodie
double braided, hollow, polyester, 3/16
That length PP will stretch like a b----!

8)
By Dan Harding
I'm not seeing a listing for "Spectra", the link takes me to a page for "Amsteel", is that the same as what you all call spectra?
By Andrew Vanis
hgflyer wrote:5k feet for a little over 200 bucks.
thanks only $0.04 / ft about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the price of the other stuff.

where did you get it from. I understand it is quite abrasion resistant.
By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:
hgflyer wrote:5k feet for a little over 200 bucks.
thanks only $0.04 / ft about a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the price of the other stuff.

where did you get it from. I understand it is quite abrasion resistant.
The price for this strength line is worth it. I have 5k of it, and I will find where I can utilize it in it's most effective application (s). Kent also shared with me it's durability while dragging on the ground or through shrubs. This was a good selling point as well.

If I use it as a drag leader and or spool filler? I'll be more than happy with it in these applications. For my purposes...1,500 agl tows should be more than efficient.

It doesn't show up on their website, so you have to let the manufacturer know what your looking for. They were very good in meeting my needs by the way.

http://www.phoenixrope.com/

Cheers
By Andrew Vanis
Phoenix rope .... in Joliet, IL

Owner must be a snowbird.