This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By hgflyer
Andrew Vanis wrote:Ask Kent Robinson in Dallas. Last time I talked to him he had a lead on some good stuff he just installed on his winch.

He's a member here but no Idea what his username in on here.

I just got my roll of 5k!

Sorry Kent! Go Cardinals!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOb40IvdcM[/youtube]

Thanks Kent for your Guidance and support! I owe, I owe, so there I go....
By latunatexx
Hey Hgflyer, if you need a fat guy with a huge F225, to test out that new line of yours, I'm your guy :wink:
By waveview
Has anyone tried using 3mm or 1/8th inch 8 plait polyester curtain cord (parachute/bootlaces cord) for static line towing? It looks to have a 550lbs breaking strain, good abrasion resistance and it is only about $45 for a 3000 ft spool.

Even if the rope only last for 20 tows that's about $2.25 per tow.
By blindrodie
IMHO that's not strong enough and it has too much stretch.

8)
By TjW
Bob Loudermilk and I towed using 3/16 inch polyprop hollow braid. It let us get an enormous amount on the reel. It broke a lot, though. Fortunately, the hollow braid was easy to splice.

We were towing off the dry lake, so we weren't going for spectacular climb rates.
By blindrodie
3/8's poly has worked for us here in the flatland's for 30 years. We use a wide reel. YMMV!

8)
By AlaskanNewb
This all depends on what type of towing the OP is planning on.

I run a payout winch. Poly works great for that.