This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By mark_m
FMAN wrote:On the thought of using solar it might be a money saver to find some panels that are used, some of the high demand commercial buildings go through an upgrade and the old panels still have many years of service. They wouldn't be as efficient but would be at least half cost or less than new panels, I think batteries would be smarter to find new. There are also codes for water and electricity in the same ditch. You could rent a trencher and make two trenches or buy a used trencher and sell it later, that way if you run into big rocks you don't have to worry about a late fee. A plus to renting is if something breaks you don't have to fix it as long as it was being used properly. Having power from the utility company means you'll need a meter and inspections every billing cycle. I haven't ever been to this site, just some suggestions that might work.
Solar panels are generally rated for around 20 years. What that means is that after 20 years they'll still put out something like 80% of their rated capacity. Check with the mfr. but you if you buy used panels you can just add an extra panel or two on a small installation and you should be fine...
By tom emery
Having lived off the grid for years aboard my cruising sailboat I reccomend giving serious consideration to a solar installation. If you need more power on an intermittent basis, incorporate a Honda EU 2000 watt generator. This system, properly maintained, will last several years. Add a wind generator and you have the perfect all round system and a built in wind indicator to boot.