This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to grow the sport of hang gliding. We will take a methodical approach to collect data and come up with implementable ideas on how to increase our numbers. This includes effective marketing, lead generation, site access issues, improving regulations, lack of instructors, lack of sites, etc

Moderator: mods

By remmoore
As I pulled it from the mailbox, I noticed it felt a little thicker and heavier that usual. The cover was an immediate turn-off, but I recognized that was gonna be the case half the time. Could the thickness possibly mean more content of interest to me - a HG pilot?

Nope, the mag continues it's quest to make HG appear increasingly irrelevant. I finished thumbing through it in a record 6 minutes. I'm sure PG pilots and the people who profit from their increase are quite happy.

While I'm generally supportive of print media, the eventual demise of this bag-rag won't hurt my feelings one bit. HG content has gone digital, and no one can hold us back!

RM
By Cloudhopper
I was equally disappointed. I can't remember ever being more excited about flying, and less interested in the magazine on my coffee table.
By Sky_Walker
The magazine content is generally user submitted. Apparently we aren't supplying enough content that is magazine worthy ???
By AIRTHUG
Sky_Walker wrote:The magazine content is generally user submitted. Apparently we aren't supplying enough content that is magazine worthy ???
I'm glad someone said it! :surrender:

I feel like the magazine is becoming the Ryan Voight hang gliding show.... surely other HG pilots could spend a little less time on this forum and a little more time writing an article or two, submitting some photos, etc...

You all do know they will send you a check ($$$ !) when they use your material, right?
By TomGalvin
AIRTHUG wrote:I feel like the magazine is becoming the Ryan Voight hang gliding show....
It's just like work parties. You seem the same faces, over and over again, and afterwards, hear the same voices each time complaining about how it's not done right.
By Andrew Vanis
I have a feeling its more of.....
Sky_Walker wrote:we aren't supplying enough content
because I have heard that Nick is really good at shaping up submissions if they need it.

So submit what you have. I have found that folks are generally better writers than they think they are.

"IF" it gets rejected, post it here, tell us why it was rejected, what was done to try to make it worthy and only then can we see what happened. (and then commence griping as warranted)
By Willmrx
Sky_Walker wrote:The magazine content is generally user submitted. Apparently we aren't supplying enough content that is magazine worthy ???
That's GD BS! Wake up ! USHPA is bias.

Will
By Fawkes
I still have some nice pink panties pics ... they dont qualify for "flying panties" I assume ... :run: :evil:
By fakeDecoy
AIRTHUG wrote: You all do know they will send you a check ($$$ !) when they use your material, right?
:shock:

What kind of image resolution do they need?
By Wes
remmoore wrote:As I pulled it from the mailbox, I noticed it felt a little thicker and heavier that usual. The cover was an immediate turn-off, but I recognized that was gonna be the case half the time. Could the thickness possibly mean more content of interest to me - a HG pilot?

Nope, the mag continues it's quest to make HG appear increasingly irrelevant. I finished thumbing through it in a record 6 minutes. I'm sure PG pilots and the people who profit from their increase are quite happy.

While I'm generally supportive of print media, the eventual demise of this bag-rag won't hurt my feelings one bit. HG content has gone digital, and no one can hold us back!

RM

I cant wait to see what you submit :thumbsup:
By noman3
Andrew Vanis wrote:I have a feeling its more of.....
Sky_Walker wrote:we aren't supplying enough content
because I have heard that Nick is really good at shaping up submissions if they need it.

So submit what you have. I have found that folks are generally better writers than they think they are.

"IF" it gets rejected, post it here, tell us why it was rejected, what was done to try to make it worthy and only then can we see what happened. (and then commence griping as warranted)

ya hes real good at fixing up content.I submitted a story about a year ago and its never made it into the mag.I also got my 1 moment in the spot light and won the ed levin speed gliding event and guess what,Nick could not even put my picture in the mag and there were plenty of pictures to put in there.Talk about incompetency or just hatred.The magazine just plain sux and so does its editor.Bias? hell yes! At least my name made it in there 2 whole times.If your not a ushpa golden boy,then your crap!How many times have you seen a comp where someone wins and there is magazine coverage and the editor does not put the top 3 in the magazine.I call bias bullshit
By AIRTHUG
fakeDecoy wrote:
AIRTHUG wrote: You all do know they will send you a check ($$$ !) when they use your material, right?
:shock:

What kind of image resolution do they need?
I think they SAY they want 8 megapixels or better... but people send in GoPro photos (5 MP's) and they run them.... I think they're so in need of hang gliding CONTENT that resolution is a secondary concern

:thumbsup:
By Andrew Vanis
I’m really interested.
noman3 wrote: I submitted a story about a year ago and its never made it into the mag.
Andrew Vanis wrote:"IF" it gets rejected, post it here, tell us why it was rejected, what was done to try to make it worthy and only then can we see what happened

Also,
noman3 wrote:Nick could not even put my picture in the mag and there were plenty of pictures to put in there.
If I recall correctly, that story was not by you. Did the author include the winner's photo identified as “this is the winner” Was it asked why this occured? Did they respond?
By AIRTHUG
Andrew Vanis wrote: If I recall correctly, that story was not by you. Did the author include the winner's photo identified as “this is the winner” Was it asked why this occured? Did they respond?
no, no, and no :rofl:

Let him have his soapbox.... gives him somewhere to put his speed gliding trophy :lol:
By noman3
chris valley wrote the story and yes he did identify my pic as the winner.Soap box hell i welded that trophy to the hood of my car with neon lights that read WINNER!
By Andrew Vanis
so the answer is

yes, no, no

Get back to us on #2 and #3

also, still curious what happened with the article that you submitted. should we expect a reply from you on this issue?
By Andrew Vanis
noman3 wrote:i welded that trophy to the hood of my car with neon lights that read WINNER!
Post the pic! I bet that one would make it in the mag.
By remmoore
Some folks may have missed my initial point.

The mag has never made a dent in the world of print media. Despite their promises that a combined HG/PG mag could have the heft to make it onto newsstands, it never happened. At best, the mag was something only a pilot could love, and I did love it back in the day.

Now, it's as irrelevant to HG pilots as it is to the rest of the world. What I once displayed proudly on my coffee table is now an embarrassment to me. What I once occasionally left at my dentist's office, I withold out of concern that readers might take up PG and wind up para-lized.

I have no interest in submitting to this mag. It's representation of HG is pallid compared to it's PG hype. I wish they would just wrap up their process of booting HG out entirely, quickly followed by their final issue.

Our strength is in the electronic media. BB's such as this, combined with YouTube and Vimeo are out there for public consumption, and I'm sure we get more notice electronically than the mag ever did. Here is where we keep ourselves updated, educated, and entertained. Here is where no editor can wave us away. The mag means very little to most of us now - only a little regret that we let this marginilization begin in the first place...

RM
By Andrew Vanis
remmoore wrote:the mag means very little to most of us now
yet the magazine continually, I am told, is cited as one of the best benefits by the members.

ask your RD for a copy of the survey(s) that apparently show this.