Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

This is Sunday's thoroughly delightful flight with the new Wills Wing Sport 3 155 Race version. This follows from the previous day's flight at Sylmar discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=35946
On this flight I go into a great deal of descriptive detail on what I want from a glider and how this glider performs and handles in that respect. I hope pilots find it informative.

http://youtu.be/X8YvPsx4VoQ
By TjW
Probably the most noticeable thing is the additional double surface.
Sprogs are entirely internal now, and you can insert/pull the undersurface battens from behind, without crawling around on the ground.
Only having watched them at Crestline, they seem to be considerably zippier than the S2, but that's a subjective opinion, probably influenced by the fact that most people don't really wring out their S2s on a daily basis.
uvflyer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:59 am Nice! Just wondering what the differences are between the previous model and the sport 3, anything on that?
Far greater double surface. internal sprogs, sprogs set much lower for high glide speeds and less bar pressure, much greater VG range and lower pulley ratio for easier pull on the rope, improved sail cut, raked tips, quick release keel stinger for easier setup and breakdown. Better handling with little tendency for the nose to hunt. Glide polar seems greatly improved.
None of this stops me from having great flights on my 2010 Sport 2 155 however I added my own raked 5tips to my Sport 2 which improved the handling a great deal.
Holy cow, you looked like a pinata at times in that Spring turbulence. Great going.

I'm amazed by your high speed gliding. Is it too early to compare the S3 to other know metrics like the S2, U2, or T2 on the glide performance and handling spectrum?
Lucky_Chevy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:36 am Holy cow, you looked like a pinata at times in that Spring turbulence. Great going.

I'm amazed by your high speed gliding. Is it too early to compare the S3 to other know metrics like the S2, U2, or T2 on the glide performance and handling spectrum?
Thanks. I only showed the tolerable turbulence and left out the really nasty bits that I fled from while still climbing fast. There will have to be a lot of side by side flying by many different pilots at different sites to really sort that out but both the standard and race S3s are a significant improvement to the S2. I can do everything I want on this glider and I'm pretty demanding.
I returned the glider after this photo was taken and it's on the way to Wallaby Demo Days right now and has already been sold AFAIK to a LMFP pilot. There will be more coming. The tips here are my own experimental tips and not available. The factory tips are a different design but weren't available to me at the time I demoed this wing so I used my own. I re-tune my own gliders to match my own flying style. This glider was re-test flown the next day by WW before its trip East. Hopefully, I get to demo the next sail fabric combination. I thought this glider was fantastic the way I flew it with or without raked tips. The fun factor is huge.
Attachments
2018-03-29 S3 Tips (2) Org.JPG
2018-03-29 S3 Tips (2) Org.JPG (422.77 KiB) Viewed 2399 times