Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By NMERider
My canning jar thermometer/hygrometer indicated 24°F & 28% RH @ 8,000'MSL. I was hoping to get above 10K where it was forecast to be 12°F so I came dressed for it. I was lucky to even get a ride up with the Windsports truck who had a first-time tandem passenger. Let's just say I was a good salesman in the decision to go ahead with the 1:00PM truck and later I heard the passenger had a great flight and was thrilled. He is a 27-year old skateboarder from the East Coast and to me represents the future of our sport. Here was a young man who understands the meaning of practice and commitment and what it's like to be involved in a niche sport. I gave him my card with YouTube url so he can see what was possible yesterday and maybe get his skating buddies interested. I was a skater in the 70's/80's and I know there are many currently active skaters in the sport.

Another reason I wanted to come out was to fly my 2010 Sport 2 155 and contrast it to the pre-production Sport 3 155 before I get my article written. The good news is that there is nothing but the pilot holding back a ~240hr old, soft Dacron sailed Sport 2 155. I will admit that I employ custom raked tips which seem to aid my glide and definitely help the handling. One day I'll write about getting more from your existing glider.

Here's the 34.4-mile 2:14hr flight... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytA0O6JQEQc
Very nice Jonathan. Been below freezing everyday for three weeks at ground level here.
Dog definitely doesn't like it. Could be tolerable if there was some sunshine now and then.
Great video sound track, puts you right in the mood.
Challenges in cold temp flying, other than staying warm. Comfort level on the Tenax 3?
Windlord wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am Very nice Jonathan. Been below freezing everyday for three weeks at ground level here.
Dog definitely doesn't like it. Could be tolerable if there was some sunshine now and then.
Great video sound track, puts you right in the mood.
Challenges in cold temp flying, other than staying warm. Comfort level on the Tenax 3?
Thanks Walt. No sunshine? That's really cold of nature.
My Tenax 3 harness is a lot warmer than my open-back cocoon (obviously). The foam liner acts like insulation and it's well-sealed around the neck and arms which keeps the air from passing through which is great in the winter and terrible in the summer. During the summer I have to fly with the harness unzipped whenever I can or I sweat badly.
Bar Mitts are the main thing for winter flying but the ones I use were made for smaller gloved hands. I bought materials 5 years ago to make my own mitts with a better shell and insulation then like pretty much everything else in my life, never did it. :oops: :oops: :lol:

EDIT - I neglected to mention that I fly with a hygrometer/thermometer on my pod and have found it very useful. Humidity has a far worse effect on pilot comfort than just temperature alone. My last flight got down to 34°F and 28%RH at 6600'. 28% is a nice low humidity that keeps the cold from getting all the way to your bones. Had that been 60% RH or higher I would have been suffering. When the RH gets really low, like 10% it's good to know because this means dehydration risk and loss of electrolytes which can lead to neurological issues that afflict our ability to fly safely.
I use this inexpensive humidor thermometer/hygrometer and it works great.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hot-sel ... 38407.html