Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Vinicius
What's up pilots!

I'm writing from Petrópolis, a hilly town in the countryside of Rio de Janeiro State. After 10 flights in a site many gallons of gas away, I managed to fly from one of the 3 sites of my city. This one have a small landing field and my instructor flew before me solo in his Falcon Tandem, so he could guide me by radio on my landing approach. The other site needs a glide ratio too great for a single surface and the third one needs a 4WD car. I made a mistake cuz' I unzipped at a good height only half, expecting I could open the rest just spreading the knees but it didn't work, so I had to do it in the final leg. I'm aware that my harness needs new ropes (and proper figure 8 knots), but I'm glad I've found one very rare, not backplate, used Rotor Harness that suits my size. Also bought a Lara 250 so I can give back one of my instructor's chute :lol: After all, I belive I made a proper launch, flight and flare. I'm open to critics so the next flight can be better and safer. Also, I'd be glad to hear your analysis on my landing zone (coordinates: 22º35'03 S - 43º11'07 W).

I learn a great deal from this forum and pilots, thank you very much. If you are travelling to Rio and want to fly away from the crowds of Pedra Bonita feel free to ask me or other more experienced pilots, we need friends to keep this sport alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gewQwpTjBVQ
By red
Vinicius wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 pmI unzipped at a good height only half, expecting I could open the rest just spreading the knees but it didn't work, so I had to do it in the final leg.
Vinicius,

That flight looks very good, from here. 8)

You may want to pull the pod zipper down far enough to get one knee out, and use that knee to push the slider down further. Then, spreading your knees should open the zipper fully. When you do this, use the other foot to push the foot of the boot out straight behind you, so the zipper has no folds or wrinkles when you move the slider with your knee. You can practice this technique while hanging in the harness, in the shop or under a roof.

It will also help if you rub a small block of hard wax (not candle wax) on the closed zipper teeth, to lubricate them. Hard wax (like carnauba wax) blocks are used for making fine furniture or rifle stocks. Candle wax is too soft and oily, for lubricating zipper teeth. More on my web page, linked below.
By Vinicius
Red, thanks for your advice! I read your site oftenly, just in case I could be missing something, IMO your information should be a starting point for anyone interessed in this sport and beyond :) I also like to watch Dietch's videos and read Voight's blog. Lots of good information in english language really! Pagen books are wonderful too!

Hey Windlord, this is indeed a very beautiful site, in a town on the mountain range. Temperatures here are not apocalyptic like in Rio de Janeiro city and it's just 65km by car. These days were very dry and foggy, but in a nice clear day you can spot the Cristo Redentor 45km away in a straight line across the Guanabara bay. I flown this site the again and got high above LZ just the time the train was departing, that was a fun chase from the sky!
By red
Vinicius wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:33 pmRed, thanks for your advice! I read your site often, just in case I could be missing something, IMO your information should be a starting point for anyone interessed in this sport and beyond :) I also like to watch Dietch's videos and read Voight's blog. Lots of good information in english language really! Pagen books are wonderful too!
Vinicius,

Your thanks are appreciated here. I like to help HG pilots who are just getting started. Dennis Pagen has been part of HG from the early days, and I learned a lot from each new book he wrote, then. I would read his books each year, and found new things that I missed before, every time I did that. He is still with us, if you can find his address in the USA.
By Vinicius
miraclepieco wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 pm You fly like a pro! Music was good too. It's always fun to fly home.

That LZ approach over the treeline looks like it could catch a lesser pilot unawares.
Thanks man! It's easy to look good with Flytec speed sleeves :mosh:

The music is from In Search of Sunrise 6 album, I really reccomend ISOS series by Tiësto, makes me want to fly!
By tdmotion
great