Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By dievhart
Terry,
That system should work, but I would drop 2 or 3 more gigs of RAM into it if you can......
I went and got Magix Movie Edit Pro 12....installed it, played around...and un-installed it....too cheap and not enough features for me...but that was 12.

I'll say it again....download a trial or Cyberlinks PowerDirector, bring in a video, edit it up a little and do a render "Produce"....
PLEASE just try it...
You to hpyatcldbs

Diev
By LW
Terry from Toronto wrote:
$!>< wrote:[ ...... HD editing can be very demanding and there are plenty of people that buy an HD camera without realizing their editing environment is not optimal for creating videos.
Yeah, I'm rapidly realizing that.

My machine isn't too bad ...

Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
HP Pavilion Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2.80GHz , 0.99 GB of RAM
Display adapter - Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
Lots of hard drive space.
Bought it new in May of 2006

......... and I don't mind waiting as long as it will eventually do it right without crashing.

Speaking of which .... VideoPad works pretty good but (big but) the audio gets separated from the video .... shifted in time. Wierd! Anybody else run across this??

Geek factor: 7/10

TR
I think you should be able to do basic editing on that machine, it will be slow but doable. If you wanted to spend a little money on anything it could be ram.

When your audio gets off sync with the image it usually has something to do with frame rate settings. Make sure your edited vidoes and projects are using the same frame rate you are recording with on the camera. 30fps for everything is the best for sharing on the web.

There are some great websites that will walk you through all of this. Google is your friend, and there are some good videos on Youtube and Vimeo on this subject, way better than what we can do in writing. Don't get suckered into buying anything yet, you can get all the advice you need and software to do what you want for free.

Hint: you don't need to know what codec is or how it's used. In fact some of the best video editors probably don't even understand the difference between a codec and a wrapper. The techno terms don't unlock the secrets of the software, you can do everything you need with very simple steps. :thumbsup:
By $!><
Terry, my machine is a year older than yours but I have twice the memory and a decent (at the time) graphics card compared to your integrated graphics adapter.
Ultimately, it is going to just require you to find the right modern video editing software(s), some determination and time. (additional memory wouldn't hurt either)
Put away the hg video and go make a short hd clip with your camera. Screw around with the small file first, learn how to manipulate it, and then when you get the basic idea tackle the hg videos.
You will accomplish a lot more using the little clips because you will see the results of your work faster than waiting hours for the HG vid to process.
You are due for an upgrade to a new machine (as am I) and if you stick with PCs, get a gaming computer. Until then, time and persistence is all you need.
By rickl1
Terry from Toronto wrote:I've got this great video from Valle De Bravo from a wing mounted GoPro but I can't edit it to save my soul.
1 - GoPro outputs in *.mp4 file format but none of my editing software can "see" an MP4.
2 - I've tried Pinnacle Studio 10; Windows Movie Maker; and Muvee. ... No luck.
3 - If I convert the MP4 to WMV or AVI it takes forever and the size of the file increases dramatically.
4 - Movie Maker is very easy to use but, when I go to save, it craps out.
I want to send a 4 minute clip to my friend but the file is 30 meg and the email system refuses it. And the picture is so small (320 pixels across) it's useless.
I'm hoping to get a 5 minute video of 720 pixels across in a reasonable size file.
Any hints?
What Video editing software do you guys use?
If this thread has already been covered, please gimme a reference.

Terry (tearing my (already thin) hair out) from Toronto

PS: And I haven't even started to add music. :-(
Hi Terry,
My PC is 5+ years old. CPU P4 2.8 / RAM 2 GB / with WIN XP 2002 service pack 3. I edited all my gopro video with this old machine without any problem. The step by step procedure shown as below and hope it help.

1. Copy the raw file from the SD card to the desktop.
2. Download MPG Stramclip from GoPro website (Free download)
http://gopro.com/support/rotate-stream-clip/
3. Use MPG Stramclip export file to MPGE-4 (MP4)
4. Use VideoPad Editor program (Free download)
http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html
5.For the player, I use KMP player (one of the best free media player)
http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/

Youtube have a tutorial video show how to use VideoPAD Editor. very easy to use.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... d+Editor+t

This is my Vimeo and youtube channel link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rickskater#g/u
http://vimeo.com/user2316236
Last edited by rickl1 on Fri May 06, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jimrooney
:ditto:

And yeah... a little more ram wouldn't hurt.
Put away the hg video and go make a short hd clip with your camera. Screw around with the small file first, learn how to manipulate it, and then when you get the basic idea tackle the hg videos.
Super advice.

Jim
By Avolare
Well, I bought a MacBook Pro, and still can't (easily) edit my videos. Because I can't drop MP4 into iMovie. I haven't tried in a while, but I think I used quicktime to export to iMovie, and that took a loooong time. I'm sure there is an easier method.

Suggestions please?
By Terry from Toronto
relate2 wrote: ...... Have you tried the FFDshow codec pack yet?
Yeah, ... tried is the operative word alright. I went to that site and there were 8 or 10 choices. (I hate choices.)
Then it said something like pick the one you need and save it in the appropriate directory. ..... ???
Lost!

So the simple answer is "no".

Now I'm considering buying Power Director 9 Deluxe - $69.95 I'm hoping it will have all the new/required codecs to open and edit and save MP4s.

Learning so much more than I really wanted to know,
TR
By jimrooney
Remember, you can download a trial version and make sure it does what you need before shelling out cash for it.

I suspect that Power Director will fit the bill.
Either way, good luck
Jim
By relate2
Hi Terry,

1. Go to this link (same as my first one)
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ffdshow.htm

2. Click on the green text "Download FFDShow MPEG-4"

3. Then click on the first green choice "Download [ FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2011-03-28 ]"

Lastly PowerDirector 9 deluxe is different to PowerDirector9 Ultra. Sorry more choices. :-) to make it easier if you are not working on full HD, blu-ray or AVCHD the Deluxe should suit you.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_GB.html

Cheers

Robert
By dievhart
Avolare wrote:Well, I bought a MacBook Pro, and still can't (easily) edit my videos. Because I can't drop MP4 into iMovie. I haven't tried in a while, but I think I used quicktime to export to iMovie, and that took a loooong time. I'm sure there is an easier method.

Suggestions please?
Sell it (return it)... then take all that cash and buy a PC and PowerDirector 9... :thumbsup:
:punch: :punch: :punch:

sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Diev

(you could get a Windows emulator for your mac...and then get PowerDirector......ok ok I'll stop)
By jimrooney
Sell it (return it)... then take all that cash and buy a PC and PowerDirector 9
:roflcat:
By axo
Avolare wrote:Well, I bought a MacBook Pro, and still can't (easily) edit my videos. Because I can't drop MP4 into iMovie. I haven't tried in a while, but I think I used quicktime to export to iMovie, and that took a loooong time. I'm sure there is an easier method.

Suggestions please?
MAC or PC, video editing is going to take time and transcoding, etc. Imovie kind of sucks when working with large video files, although the live preview feature is nice, it lags with big files.
I use handbrake to convert the videos to a format that imovie can read.
download it here:

http://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file=H ... x86_64.dmg

Until you find some other software editor that lets you work straight with mp4.

Good luck
By jimrooney
MAC or PC, video editing is going to take time and transcoding
This is the hidden beauty of AviDemux
No transcoding.

It's not an end all be all... it's a tool. It helps you prep your clips so they're easier to work with... that's it. BUT, holy crap is it good. ZERO re-encoding (aka, it's FAST).

Anyway,
Yup... Handbrake rules... on both ends... mac or pc.
It'll put your stuff into a format that your editors can work with and it'll put your end product in whatever format you need... whether you're putting it to DVD or YouTube.

Jim
By ChattaroyMan
Get Apple's QuickTime Pro for PC or Mac - not just QuickTime Player but the PRO version ($30). You'll be amazed what it will do - especially opening and saving video in all sorts of formats. Latest cool thing I learned that it can do is flip my video from upside down to right side up. I no longer have to adjust the GoPro's preferences when I change camera positions on my glider.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/
By ChattaroyMan

Suggestions please?
iMovie should open up all videos that are in iPhoto. Once you connect your camera to your Mac iPhoto will open and ask you if you want to download the camera's files. If you OK this they'll end up in iPhoto. When you open iMovie it reads all the videos in iPhoto and has them ready to work with. Or, like I do, you can first drag the video from iPhoto onto the QuickTime application (QuickTime Pro: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/). I do rough editing (mainly cutting stuff out, adjusting brightness/contrast, etc.) with QuickTime Pro then fart around with it in iMovie. I'd venture to say that QuickTime Pro is a must if you want to speed things up using iMovie on a Mac. The Pro version is also available for PCs.
By rafaelcjr
Terry, I use PowerDirector for all the new Florida Ridge Videos - it's probably the cheapest / best video editing program out there.

Now if you did have WINDOWS 7 installed - there is a new MOVIE MAKER LIVE that is free from Microsoft - I just used it here in the Park's computer (windows 7) to edit and upload to youtube the robkells footage - it's leagues ahead of the old Movie Maker this new MMaker LIVE is a breeze to use.

One Issue tough is that if you plan on editing video regularly it would be good to have a computer with a dedicated video card - not an integrated (part of the motherboard) video chip/card
Meaning you buy a good video card that fits in one of the open slots in you machine and disable the integrated video - usually a bios or jumper setting.
By relate2
Thanks for the heads up on Windows Live Movie maker. I just downloaded it and am taking it for a drive.

My first problem is it will not allow you to natively edit GoPro videos. You have to let it process the video first which can take a looooong time. Which is not such a bad thing if you have a slow computer which doesn't have the horsepower to handle modern video formats. Well I just did a test with a 3.9 gig go pro video and it took just under 10 minutes to convert the video for editing. I have to say though I have a very fast computer, your experience will vary on the speed of your computer.

PowerDirector has the same option called "Shadow files" which converts your videos to an easy format for your computer to handle. It then uses the instructions you have made to produce your final video in the format you want.

I will say at least Windows Live Movie maker won't even allow you to start until it has finished converting the video. PowerDirector lets you start editing even if it hasn't finished converting which can cause problems for people who can't wait till it is finished.
By nothing0829
I also have a gopro video and convert the gopro video to wmv for editing on windows with higosoft gopro video to wmv video converter
By nothing0829
I believe everyone will like gopro!
By Tigouille
at hpyat
see my avatar? i qualify as the worst dumbshit.
recent computer, no hD so time/speed is no problem
i am still here but lying low... :surrender: