Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By noman3
i have nothing against pilots who want to fly pg.My problem comes in when people want me to fly one.I think a pg can come in with speed to keep its canopy inflated through turbulence but only to a point.I just like the idea of a frame to make turbulence not as big of a issue.When it comes down to it we are all pilots.
By spork
remmoore wrote: Wow... OK. So, no actual response - just a written shrug.
Wrong. An actual response. You gave me your personal experience, and I gave you mine.
That's alright - you're far from the only one my comments were meant for. There are plenty of folks who understand and agree.
Yes, I'm well aware there are a lot of HG pilots that have an intrinsic hatred for PG's and PG pilots.
By old newbie
Well hating an inanimate object is an extreme waste of energy. Stereotyping and hating an entire category of pilot is not much better. Now if you want to hate pilots that are not smart enough to fly the best thermal site near the bay area, that's fine just stop feeling you need to invite them over. If they don't get it you probably don't want them there anyway.

Had a nice day there once on my bag with you and a bunch of others now I need my h4 so I can fly my hang there.

Steve Forslund
By UnTuckable
It's a albino polar bear calling the snow white situation to me.

Similar to the old : It's the behavioral traits that are close to ones own, but only recognized by the subconscious that disturb us the most.

Of all the aircraft's with a structure, the HGs have the most deadliest / dangerous pilot system around, vs PGs are just too deflatable.

Both have their faults, and room for improvements.

'It is strange how oblivious we can be of our own faults, and how clearly we can see those of others.'
By FPeel
"It doesn't matter what someone flies. A pilot is a pilot and a geek is a geek."

That's certainly not original; just my long time version of what should be an adage if it isn't already. It comes from knowing participants in many forms of aviation and recognizing that it can be applied irrespective of aircraft. None of the following is bias based on "mine is better than yours" as I am equally critical of anyone who commits aviation. Both wings in this discussion have their advantages. The differences have to do with the people and that is what I analyze most closely.

Proper training, the right mindset, awareness and good judgement help make a pilot. Just getting into the air does not.

Proper training can be lacking on both sides of the fence being discussed. We've all seen it, but based on their own admissions many PGs never learned the basic right of way rules and how to fly with other aircraft. PGs have a shorter, steeper learning curve than HGs, so they inherently get less instruction. But that does not absolve them from absorbing the associated knowledge. By "absorb" I mean internalize, not just remembering enough, just long enough, to pass a simple test. IMO, this is the biggest point of failure with PGs as it creates a weak foundation progression up the ladder of competence.

Mindset, judgement and awareness, are more innate to the individual, though they can all be improved over time through the influence of the communities surrounding the pilot-to-be. A quote of mine from a different thread: "Another difference between the groups that affects safety, and this does vary by locale, is that the HG old hands in general are more demanding of their proteges than their PGing counterparts. "Go back and do it right this time" vs. "Eh, that was good enough." Care to make a guess about which one produces the superior outcome?"

With rare exception we can all be better at what we do. Including influencing those around us in a good direction. In my opinion this is the root of what is being discussed here.

Well, that and the tendency of some people to view the world as a series of entitlements. But that's a whole 'nother discussion.
By spork
FPeel wrote: None of the following is bias based on "mine is better than yours" as I am equally critical of anyone who commits aviation.
You don't get to decide if you have biases.
based on their own admissions many PGs never learned the basic right of way rules and how to fly with other aircraft.
Really? You have data to back that up? Anything more than "one pilot mentioned that to me"?
"Another difference between the groups that affects safety, and this does vary by locale, is that the HG old hands in general are more demanding of their proteges than their PGing counterparts. "Go back and do it right this time" vs. "Eh, that was good enough."
And you reach this conclusion how?
Well, that and the tendency of some people to view the world as a series of entitlements.
Now you're talking about the pilots that think they control the airspace in front of the Funston ridge - and attempt to do so through intimidation?
By FPeel
FPeel wrote: None of the following is bias based on "mine is better than yours" as I am equally critical of anyone who commits aviation.
spork wrote:You don't get to decide if you have biases.
Of course I do! The only choice you have in the matter is whether or not to judge me as well. The difference in this case is that I'm working with a complete data set, whereas yours is quite limited.
FPeel wrote: based on their own admissions many PGs never learned the basic right of way rules and how to fly with other aircraft.
spork wrote:Really? You have data to back that up? Anything more than "one pilot mentioned that to me"?
What I reported is based on years of making inquiries after incidents to determine what happened and receiving that response dozens of times.
FPeel wrote: "Another difference between the groups that affects safety, and this does vary by locale, is that the HG old hands in general are more demanding of their proteges than their PGing counterparts. "Go back and do it right this time" vs. "Eh, that was good enough."
spork wrote:And you reach this conclusion how?
Again, via observation and experience. Just as I originally said. Sorry that you seem to need something else. I'm not writing here in any official capacity, so there is no database, no logs, just my very keen memory. If you doubt my ability to recall events, and I can appreciate that you might since you don't know me from Adam, I suggest simply asking around. You'll find I am not prone to exaggeration.
FPeel wrote: Well, that and the tendency of some people to view the world as a series of entitlements.
spork wrote:Now you're talking about the pilots that think they control the airspace in front of the Funston ridge - and attempt to do so through intimidation?
That was not a comment about Funston. I don't fly there so am not in a position to add anything about that specific situation.
By spork
FPeel wrote: Of course I do! The only choice you have in the matter is whether or not to judge me as well. The difference in this case is that I'm working with a complete data set, whereas yours is quite limited.
Fair enough. You do get to claim you're not biased. And by that same principle, everyone is a better than average driver and there are no racists. That's how self-evaluation works. It's why we use data in arguments rather than anecdotes from our personal experience. Ever hear of confirmation bias?
FPeel wrote: I'm not writing here in any official capacity, so there is no database, no logs, just my very keen memory.
Whether you're writing in an official capacity or not, people will often ask you to back up your claims.
...since you don't know me from Adam, I suggest simply asking around. You'll find I am not prone to exaggeration.
I don't feel I have to ask around. I feel I know you reasonably well. So perhaps my memory is better than yours - eh?
By FPeel
spork wrote:I don't feel I have to ask around. I feel I know you reasonably well. So perhaps my memory is better than yours - eh?
I doubt that your memory is better than mine. Kind of like your logic.
By spork
FPeel wrote:
spork wrote:I don't feel I have to ask around. I feel I know you reasonably well. So perhaps my memory is better than yours - eh?
I doubt that your memory is better than mine. Kind of like your logic.
Both my logic and memory seem to be working better than yours. After all, I seem to remember you - but not vice versa. Similarly, I understand the need for actual data to avoid the pitfalls of confirmation bias. Let me know if you need me to walk you through it.
By FPeel
I don't know anyone name "spork" , so will reserve comment for the moment. Enlighten me.