All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By magentabluesky
Great Flying Professionals
Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are...

....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 12, 201
. . .

The same can be said of training hill hang gliding pilots. They experience the visceral feel of the air flowing over the wing and the fine techniques to control minute changes.

They feel the wind and the wing.
By kukailimoku2
Sheesh...a bit premature since the cause of the accident isn't known.
By magentabluesky
Sorry you missed the point.

The focus was not about an accident.

The point is about the difference between computer programmers and pilots. Just like the difference between being shot out of a cannon, launched off a cart; verses flying the glider on the training hill with both feet on the ground with the wind flowing over and under the wing.

The student learns and feels so much more in the latter.
In the event of decompression oxygen masks will drop down from a compartment above you
Untangling them will piss you off as you slowly pass out
. . . .
My very point about complexity.
By SeeMarkFly
kukailimoku2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 pm the cause of the accident isn't known.
yes, we do, he got too many votes. We don't know where those votes came from.
By waltspoint
>>The point is about the difference between computer programmers and pilots.
Hey monnn, I resemble that remark! What exactly is the difference? Can't one be both? Is Seni~or Trump either?
By jlatorre
Feeling the wind and the wing will only get you so far when you're flying a jumbo jet. Different kind of flying altogether. Airline pilots are systems managers as much as anything. And, yes, Donald, they sure are getting complex, but the pilots want them that way. Of course, I would certainly defer to the President's opinion, considering all the time he's logged as pilot-in-command of multi-engine aircraft, giving him an expertise matched only by his grasp of the complex issues of the economy, climate change, and umbrella folding.

The advice for training hang glider pilots, though, is still Obi-wan's advice to Luke: "Forget the instruments. Use the Force."
By DMarley
jlatorre wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:01 pm Feeling the wind and the wing will only get you so far when you're flying a jumbo jet. Different kind of flying altogether. Airline pilots are systems managers as much as anything. And, yes, Donald, they sure are getting complex, but the pilots want them that way. Of course, I would certainly defer to the President's opinion, considering all the time he's logged as pilot-in-command of multi-engine aircraft, giving him an expertise matched only by his grasp of the complex issues of the economy, climate change, and umbrella folding.

The advice for training hang glider pilots, though, is still Obi-wan's advice to Luke: "Forget the instruments. Use the Force."
Sorry, the experienced FO's with thousands of hours of experience don't want this automation. It's the airlines who want this, so that they can get rid of their very experienced, more expensive FO's and replace them with much less experienced, much less expensive pilots with around 200 hrs and assign them FO positions. Yeah. Check the cockpits lately as you're boarding? They are using pilots that are not anywhere near 30 yrs old most of the time. How comforting knowing your well-being is in the hands of a 20-something year old with very little experience in the real world.
By dbotos
DMarley wrote:...replace them with much less experienced, much less expensive pilots...
Yes! Despite the magic of flight, technological advancements, etc., at the end of the day it's still just a bus with wings and the airlines are still for-profit bus companies trying to make a buck (and maximize that buck where possible).

On the subject of training hill flying, I really enjoyed the little bit I've done. Making pitch and roll inputs with feet still on the ground was something I'd not really done before, but is obviously incredibly useful.

Doug - we need to hit Boomer this Spring - I've got a training harness gathering dust in my basement that's begging for some hill time.

David