All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

Governance Proposal Re-Vote:
A Message from Alan Crouse, USHPA President

Hello everyone,

I’m writing to you from Golden, Colorado, where the USHPA spring board meeting has just finished. We expected to elect the new board based on the transition plan in the governance proposal after the normal meeting business of committee proposals and reports.

Unfortunately, the new board election didn’t happen. Thanks to an attentive USHPA member we realized that the ballot we sent out for the governance vote didn’t quite conform to the legal requirements. In particular, we didn’t state on the ballot itself what was necessary--in terms of a quorum and a vote percentage--for the measure to pass. This may seem like a small technicality, but after investigation, the elections team and USHPA’s legal counsel determined that it was important. Under California case law, this small oversight could have placed the organization in jeopardy.

The result is that we will soon be sending you a corrected ballot for a re-vote. This will be a do-over; the proposal and bylaws you are voting on remain unchanged. The many kinds of information about the proposal are still available at ushpa.org/govprop.

We apologize we didn’t catch this small yet crucial technicality, and again we are thankful a keen USHPA member had our back. Having learned of the problem, it is clear that it is in the best interest of the organization to correct it.

On the bright side, the voting process is simple and quick, and the re-vote will give even more members the opportunity to participate. Please vote when you get the new ballot. If you didn’t vote before, you have another chance. If you want to change your vote from the previous election, this opportunity is also available with the new election. In the meantime, we are continuing to operate with the old board of directors, with no loss of continuity. The existing board continues to work to help secure the future of free flight, focusing on training, safety, sites, instruction, our regulators, and most importantly on working with you, our members.

Thank you for your attention and patience.

Kind regards,

Alan Crouse
USHPA President

This is an official periodic E-Newsletter of the USHPA. The intent is to provide members with information pertaining to the organization and other aspects of the free flight community. Please send us feedback about this newsletter. Your comments are very much appreciated.

https://www.ushpa.org/member/governance ... -2018.aspx

Wow! :mosh:
How much did this mistake cost the membership? I don't mean social capital, division, trust- I mean actual US dollars. What is that number for the entire first vote round, including publication and retention of the vote tabulation and integrity agency? How many 10's-of-thousands? How much additional membership contributions will be used to fuel a second vote? What other costs are there? Lawyers fees, etc? I'd like a grand total and itemized brake down for what this has cost us.
It happened. Most know about it. Yes it will cost us. So what? Are you just pointing fingers and if so for what purpose Christopher?

8)
blindrodie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:11 pm Yes it will cost us. So what?
Accounting (figurative and literal) is fundamental to the integrity of our association, as a basis for judging leadership, and for assessing the worth of the proposition. How much money is the restructuring worth to us? We have to be able to weigh the costs to the benefits if we are to make that assessment. This figure should have been part of the initial proposition; now that there are added costs, those must be made plain as well.

I don't care to fly blind.
By blindrodie
I don't care to fly blind.
If you don't want to fly then by all means don't! :twisted:

Mistake was made, discovered, corrected. That costs money. Asking how much was just poking the the bear
in the eye and you know it...

All those big words for an issue that was discovered and dealt with don't make you anything but an instigator.
You, of all pilots know this! Should you complain? Maybe. Maybe not...

It's not how you do it, it's was it really necessary. :shark:

8)
By Mavi Gogun
blindrodie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 am All those big words for an issue that was discovered and dealt with don't make you anything but an instigator.
I wrote what I meant, not some fantasy you've concocted for reasons I don't care to fathom. Venues such as this are predicated on presumption of good faith- and yours is an example of why so many leave this space for more civil discourse. It's absurd, really- you want to hold both sides of a conversation, only becoming more petty and belittling when denied that role. Don't like the topic? Then don't read it. It's that simple. This tact of attempting to demean folks into silence is really, really warn out.
:lol: Simple question- simple answer...

Yet you can't give me one. Huh.

Usually writers leave because no one wants to read all the diatribe polluting the threads. It's tough to get an answer sometimes. I figured you were up to the task.

I do like the topic. That's why I commented. If what I wrote was belittling and demeaning you have thinner skin then I
guessed, especially after I read all the other "topics" you use to comment on- until you chose to move on.

I read your comments about Tiki. They are great! Why so sensitive about your pointing fingers and making a big deal over the re-vote? Admit you were doing that and we're done. Anyway........

8)
blindrodie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm Simple question- simple answer...

Yet you can't give me one.
Anyone can scroll up and read a substantive and considered answer to a question that may have been made in good faith. Rhetorical non-questions do not warrant address. You may very well care about some aspect of the vote- but on this, Rodie, your interest seems to be to disrupt by focusing on imagined motive/destructive purpose; I don't care to be drawn in to that. If you want to talk about how the vote was contrived or executed, or the import of that to the Association, I'm happy to have that conversation.
I'd like a grand total and itemized brake down for what this has cost us.
So just who the hell are you to demand such accountability in this simple matter!? I was going to make other quotes from you but they are too absurd to do so, for example:
How many 10's-of-thousands?
:lol:

And you think your paragraph from above is not to incite unrest and propagate dissension? Are those big enough words?
Rodie, your interest seems to be to disrupt by focusing on imagined motive/destructive purpose;
My interest is to show you that, in this instance, what you are doing is unnecessary!
If you want to talk about how the vote was contrived or executed, or the import of that to the Association, I'm happy to have that conversation.
BULLSHIT!!

8)
By Mavi Gogun
I wrote:I'd like a grand total and itemized brake down for what this has cost us.
blindrodie wrote:So just who the hell are you to demand such accountability in this simple matter!?

The accounting of our association is no secret; reviewing spending is within the purview of the membership.

blindrodie wrote:And you think your paragraph from above is not to incite unrest and propagate dissension?

I believe critical review is essential to our cohesion. In this matter, you don't- and that's fine. What isn't OK is this tirade, fueled by a ridged adherence to what you imagine. I don't care to be a prop for your monologue.

blindrodie wrote:My interest is to show you that, in this instance, what you are doing is unnecessary!

You've only repeated a proclamation- I have seen no attempt to demonstrate anything other than your feelings.

I wrote:If you want to talk about how the vote was contrived or executed, or the import of that to the Association, I'm happy to have that conversation.
blindrodie wrote:BULLSHIT!!

Here we are, post #10. You've made clear you don't think this should be talked about. You've attacked me for wanting to talk about it. You claim that I lie. I don't doubt your earnest passion, Rodie- but you haven't summoned the basic level of civility and respect necessary to have a conversation with those you disagree with. You believe you are righteous, that I am not, and use that to justify your behavior. I'll leave you with the last word on this digression:

blindrodie wrote:Usually writers leave because no one wants to read all the diatribe polluting the threads.
By blindrodie
Post 11: You complained. I called you on it. You did not answer my question. You are now putting words in my mouth. Funny you mention lies...

Fact is, a liar tends to use a lot of words. So I'll just conclude that I was right. You were just attempting a circljerk (like we now have here). :thumbsup:

Thanks to Mark Forbes for answering the issues surrounding the unfortunate mistake on the vote process.

8)