All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By CSquared
Man, what a great day of flying yesterday. I finally figured out landings: six scooter tows, six stand up landings. Not the prettiest ones maybe, but I'll take it. One step closer to the mountain sites!
By red
CSquared wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 amMan, what a great day of flying yesterday. I finally figured out landings: six scooter tows, six stand up landings. Not the prettiest ones maybe, but I'll take it. One step closer to the mountain sites!
CSquared,

Step by step . . . enjoy the journey! 8)

It will help you learn faster if you can get videos of each flight; even cell-phone videos by a friend will be very worthwhile. The glider should almost fill the frame at launch, and most phones can zoom in, as you get farther away. Video cameras are fine, of course, but any record is better than no record.

You will always want to look back at your flyin' lessons just for fun, too.
By CSquared
Thx, Red! We usually have two cameras on the glider for my lessons. One is mine and one is Mark's. I'm going to start running one on the keel too. They are fun to watch! But really good for learning too. I've already watched yesterday's videos five or six times, and noticed things on them that I need to work on next time.
By CSquared
Thanks, everyone! On to H2!
By flybop
Congrats!!! You have all the other "Firsts" to look forward to. Just wait until your first soaring flight... when YOU make a conscious decision to go and land. Mind blowing, life changing!
By DMarley
flybop wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 pm Congrats!!! You have all the other "Firsts" to look forward to. Just wait until your first soaring flight... when YOU make a conscious decision to go and land. Mind blowing, life changing!
Yes!... and the first time that you can't get down, even in a spiral dive with all the fricken wonder-wind lift! And you're thinking to yourself "Where's the sink?!?! I can't find any stinking sink!! And the sun is nearly below the horizon!!" Then it dawns on you to fly over those trees, and you find your hole in the floor. Still, you have to pull in hard and spiral down because the lift is still there, trying to push you back up. Oh the frustration and tension! But, you put the icing on the cake by making a perfect landing in the smooth surface conditions.
Priceless!
(This was my first soaring flight -- 2.5 hrs, and found it quite challenging to get down! What a blast!)
By USHPA7
At the Annie Green Springs meet in Sylmar CA, Fall of '73, I had the prototype of my soon to be Colver Vario for my son Matt to use. This "first off" was two different packages and had to be duct taped to the control bar.

About mid afternoon Taras K asked to borrow it for a flight on his Icarus 5. I don't remember how long he was "skyed out" but when he finally landed he told me he was using the vario to find sink so he could get down. 8)

Frank Colver