[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 264: mysqli_fetch_assoc(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 326: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
How do you tie/strap glider on roof? - Hang Gliding Org
All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Hillbilly
I'm not talking about the padding or the rack itself. I want to know what you are using to actually tie it down and hold in place. Strap? rope? Bubblegum?
Looking for a better way that obviously holds glder to rack, but also is wide enough that the pressure doesn't hurt the wing. Quick and easy is a bonus.
By USHPA7
I quit using bungees back in the 70's after an Eipper standard unloaded itself on the 91 freeway (in CA) on a Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately it spun into the center divider and was not damaged. Also fortunately, no highway patrol officers saw me come back, pull into the center and pick it up.

Lesson learned - don't use bungees!

Frank
By red
Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 pmI'm not talking about the padding or the rack itself. I want to know what you are using to actually tie it down and hold in place. Strap? Looking for a better way that obviously holds glder to rack, but also is wide enough that the pressure doesn't hurt the wing. Quick and easy is a bonus.
Hillbilly,

Use straps like these (see attached), at least one inch wide. This type of buckle features push-button release, one size fits all, reliable, not expensive. I can't vouch for the other types of buckles. A six or eight foot (2m~2.5m) long strap is about the right length.

Run the strap over the glider, under the rack, back over the glider, under the rack, and join the end to the buckle.

All IMHO, of course.
Attachments
strap.jpg
strap.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
rack.jpg
rack.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
By yoepaca
Hey Dude,
The best I came up with for me is a wide semi stiff thick shipping padding with a cinch strap. I use a padded ladder as a carrier with studs sticking out horizontally on both sides at the tie down points to put the end loops over. During construction I threaded the strap through a slit in the padding a few inches from the end and out the middle of the end so the straps stay attached permanently, shown in second photo. Once the rack is on the car and the glider on the rack it takes me about 30 sec to install the two hold downs. Put the loops over both studs and cinch it down. Sorry for the double photo, I can't figure out how to remove it.
Blue Skies to ya,
Paul
Attachments
strap.jpg
strap.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1013 times
strap1.jpg
strap1.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1012 times
By Wonder Boy
Metal buckles can dent / scratch your roof.
If you have an Atos, you sure dont want to toss a buckle on a D-cell or flap.
The widest strap you can use will have a larger contact area, more holding power and less chance for creasing the mylar.
11 years and counting using 2" seatbelt straps with 2" buckles.
No damage.
By Karl_A
https://www.nrs.com/product/1445/nrs-15 ... own-straps
https://www.nrs.com/product/1446/nrs-15-padded-straps
https://www.tapplastics.com/?gclid=EAIa ... gLYj_D_BwE

The first ones I got were the padded ones but the pads were too thin for me so I now I get unpadded ones and sew on pads made from 1/32 (0.034) plastic I got at TAP Plastics.

The 9 foot straps are good for 2 flexwing gliders.
By yoepaca
How does another pilot throw on with you?

Legit question. I have a second padded ladder for the other side. This allows for a second glider. Next short padded bars (4) that slide into the holes on the side of the second ladder where the rungs are. this fills up the space between the two ladders for a third. However, anyone throwing a glider up there is responsible to tie his/her own glider down as they see fit. I carry extra padding and normal straps if they need them. I double check to make sure all is secure before driving.