All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

Hi Guys:

I am as usual for me since I had the Brutal experience Pounding mky Predator upon my landing on March 28th 2010. I have been in the Fight, The FIGHT of my measly little life ever since I pounded in upon landing my Predator after a short X-C Flight from Mount Diablo. Since then I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely must find adequate Skull-Brain protection. I started my own Blog here regarding my trying to locate some form of Skull-Brain Protection. For with out some sort of a Helmet that offers Me more Brain Protection. The Days of my having my brain move through Space with the possibility of my Skull encountering a sudden stoop are OVER! I mean I will have to never ride my Skate-Board again. Nor will I ever be able to ride my Bicycle again. Also there are some other Activities that will elude me also. I want to Ride a
Warm-Blood Horse. Who I will take a stab at jumping Said Horse Seven Feet or More. Don't Laugh. I watched a Appaloosa at San Francisco's Cow-Palace, I saw Crocodile Clear a 7'2" Jump.

So Guys, Can anyone lead to find the Helmet Manufacturer of a Helmet? A Helmet that would Perform. I have had a Helmet that does not Perform. Guys, My coming back from my T-B-I has been one Brutal ordeal. This I do not want to contemplate doing again.
By hgldr
Modern helmets don't seem to have an effective de-acceleration method, or "crush zone". Both my full face HG helmet and my bike helmet lack this important feature. Instead, what we have is stiff styrofoam which does not deform.
Last Friday the handle bar of my mountain bike touched a tree at a good speed (maybe 15mph?) and slammed me into the rocks. BAM, in less than a quarter second the helmet with my head inside hit the rocks. The sudden de-acceleration left a ringing in my ears for the next 10 minutes. A familiar sound because about 6 years ago I let my base tube catch on a bush on landing; BAM, helmet & head stopped suddenly at the keel bar.
Instead of stiff styrofoam I think we should have some sort of shock-absorbing substance. A 2-inch de-acceleration distance would be much better than a zero-inch distance.
Has anyone else found such a helmet?
Darrell Hambley
H4 , 44196
Wichita, KS
Yes, Yes. YES! We have a Problem. For the Helmets that we use do not address the Problem of softening the G-Load that Our Should a strike happen upon a Strike while Said Skull is in motion. ou might think That a severe Head Strike could never happen to me. Heck that's what I thought myself. But I got my Reality Check. Granted I nearly failed I nearly failed my Reality check. But now it is up to me. Yes it is up to me to recover. I get closer to the Day when I will know that I am One Hundred Percent recovered.

So, in closing. I said that I was in the fight of my life. I intend to win my Fight.
Given that you are alive it appears you are winning. Keep up the good work.
Suggest you try contacting some helmet manufacturers. I talked to some people at Kali Protectives (CA) and decided to get their Alpine helmet for a few reasons: #1. very light for its ratings, #2. has their form of MIPS type shear protection, and #3. the outer shell is designed to deform slightly in a crash rather than being totaly rigid. Their type of shear protection has a set of several elasotmer fingers that compress and bend prior to the typical foam protection compressing. They also have a replacement policy in case you have a strong impact with the helmet.
Suggest you do your own reseach to see what is out there. So far the Alpine fits well and the lighter weight seems to have reduced neck strain.

Shade made it tough for Tony and I. Lift was very […]

Tough day at the hill. Mike S launched 10 min befo[…]

Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I love flying!!! (I[…]

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. No, I do it manually.[…]