All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By DanJ
Hi all,
What is a good configuration for storing a glider in a garage? For 3 support points, can anyone recommend a good padded arm hanger that is big enough for a glider in its bag? Or do you use some other way/make your own?

Home Depot sells this one:

Are there bigger/better ones out there for hang gliders?

And do you also leave the bag unzipped a little to make sure no moisture gets trapped in to create mildew? Anything else we need to know about winter storage? This will be my first winter with it and I need to start preparing.

Thanks
Dan
By red
DanJ wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 pmHi all,
What is a good configuration for storing a glider in a garage? For 3 support points, can anyone recommend a good padded arm hanger that is big enough for a glider in its bag? Or do you use some other way/make your own? Are there bigger/better ones out there for hang gliders?
And do you also leave the bag unzipped a little to make sure no moisture gets trapped in to create mildew? Anything else we need to know about winter storage? This will be my first winter with it and I need to start preparing. Thanks
Dan
Dan,

I make my own glider storage shelves, but not with padding. I use two of these brackets to support a 1"x12"x72" board.

https://www.amazon.com/Alise-J5207-4P-S ... ckets&th=1

Each pair of brackets will be about 48" apart, with the shelf board centered on the pair. I make one such shelf for each end of the glider. These two shelves are at the same height, and about 40"~50" apart horizontally. Each shelf holds half of the glider's weight. It will be easier to load or unload the glider if the storage shelves are a little less high than shoulder height, but suit yourself. No padding is needed; padding holds moisture.

Tack a guiding string-line horizontally and tight across the wall where the glider shelf will be. Make the string-line as long as the glider. Using the guiding string-line to keep your shelves straight; pre-drill the wall studs for the heavy mounting bolts that will hold the shelf brackets. Use 1/4" or 5/16" thick lag bolts to attach the shelf brackets to the wall studs. Put the shelf board on top of each bracket. Use short Allen-head wood screws (less than 7/8" long) from underneath to attach the shelf to the bracket. A power-drill with an Allen Apex bit can drive these short screws without pre-drilling.

If moisture is a concern, you can get Silica Gel desiccant packets. For storage, distribute at least two dozen of these packets inside along the length of the glider bag, then close the zippers.

https://www.amazon.com/DRY-Premium-Indi ... +desiccant

When good, these crystals are bright blue, and ready to absorb moisture. When saturated, the crystals will turn pale, white, or even pink, so you will know when to replace them. These packets are renewable; just bake the saturated packs in an oven at about 200 F (94 C) degrees for about three hours. They will change back to bright blue crystals again, ready to work again. Store the blue crystals in an airtight container, when not in use. Check the color of the crystal packs now and then in your glider bag, and replace any packets that are not blue.

Do not let liquid water get on or under the glider bag, of course.
By idahoDal
Those things will work fine. Get 4 of them, rip a plank of plywood the full length (probably have to join the rips in the middle somewhere) and you're good. No need for padding if its supported along the full length. I used 2x4's screwed onto these things in the past too: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-12 ... /202034281 they work great as long as you're screwed into studs in the wall and are super cheap.
By remmoore
You could also bolster the thin padding you have on the arm hangers by adding pool noodles. You would probably need to slit the noodle to get it onto the arm but it would make the arm nice and cushy.

RM
By DanJ
Thanks for the info all and thank you Red for the detailed write up.
I just went to Home Depot and checked out all these options. I'm going to use the 12"x 48" and/or 12"x 60" plywood instead of padded brackets. The brackets looked long enough for a glider bag, but If it's going to sit for 5 months of the year and time in between flights, I'd rather use boards instead of 3-4 padded contact points. I think boards would be much better for the glider long term.

I saw the slimmer Everbilt brackets too, they should work just fine if there are 4 of them. The label says they support up to 200 lbs per pair.

Thanks all!
Dan
By red
DanJ wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm Thanks for the info all and thank you Red for the detailed write up.
I just went to Home Depot and checked out all these options. I'm going to use the 12"x 48" and/or 12"x 60" plywood instead of padded brackets. The brackets looked long enough for a glider bag, but If it's going to sit for 5 months of the year and time in between flights, I'd rather use boards instead of 3-4 padded contact points. I think boards would be much better for the glider long term. Thanks all!
Dan
Dan,

:thumbsup: . . . :thumbsup: . . . :thumbsup: . . .
By DanJ
Just an update. Now that the season's ending, I ended up putting in a nice shelf using two 6'x12" boards and the brackets shown below, with a pict of the matching screws.
Thanks for all the help guys, it feels great to have this. Instead of storing it at one site, now I can keep the glider with me and fly at different sites if I choose.
Attachments
bracket.jpg
bracket.jpg (82.2 KiB) Viewed 506 times
hg_shelf.jpg
hg_shelf.jpg (632.92 KiB) Viewed 506 times
bracket-screws.jpg
bracket-screws.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 506 times
By TrikeTrash
Since you're in a garage, I'd recommend setting out mouse traps. The little buggers love glider bags! The passive traps that set along the wall with no bait are best, IMO.
By Wonder Boy
DanJ wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 pm Hi all,
What is a good configuration for storing a glider in a garage? For 3 support points, can anyone recommend a good padded arm hanger that is big enough for a glider in its bag? Or do you use some other way/make your own?

Home Depot sells this one:

Are there bigger/better ones out there for hang gliders?

And do you also leave the bag unzipped a little to make sure no moisture gets trapped in to create mildew? Anything else we need to know about winter storage? This will be my first winter with it and I need to start preparing.

Thanks
Dan

I do leave the bag unzipped.
I use these.
31IL-KW35FL.jpg
31IL-KW35FL.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 453 times
I attach a 1x4 to the top and 1" padding on top of that. Then some tarp material to cover it.
3 brackets
Attachments
20191013_140131.jpg
20191013_140131.jpg (730.02 KiB) Viewed 453 times
20191013_140114.jpg
20191013_140114.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 453 times
By dbotos
Wonder Boy - I like the padded 1x4s on top of the brackets to give it more bearing area. I've got my Falcon resting on four padded 2x4 supports that I attached to the open joists in my basement:
Add description
(31.54 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Here's the first one I put up. Pad (not shown) is some 1.5"-thick closed-cell shipping foam, tied on with lacing tape. I hung from each of the four brackets as I put them up and they are pretty stout.
Add description
Add description
first_HG_ceiling_bracket_inst.jpg (360.95 KiB) Viewed 348 times
By blindrodie
DAMN - hella beams in your basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

8)
By dbotos
They span about 26 feet from wall to wall and have a section depth of about 20 inches. There are no support columns, so it's uninterrupted floor space (minus the 20 tons of crap I have down there). :wink: