All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

I wanted to share my experience with other pilots that may use the Wills Wing Covert harness. I have not yet heard of other owners having this same issue, so it may be isolated to mine. Either way, I feel as though it is important for other owners to inspect their equipment.

After a recent inspection, I noticed excessive wear at the base of the main suspension strap. Looking closer at the wear, it appears that it is happening when the slider is at its most forward position. This is the only position where the fabric of the main can come into contact with the inner edge of the slider channel. (see pictures) One thing about this main is that there is a secondary strap that attaches directly to the harnesses inner webbing in the event of main strap failure. This type of redundancy is one of the many reasons I believe this harness was so well designed.

What I have done to hopefully correct this issue is filing down this portion of the edge to a more rounded and smooth surface. Once I have the replacement main from Wills Wing, I will continue to inspect the harness regularly to insure this fixes the issue.

Feel free to contact me for further info or recommendations.
Attachments
20180926_113256_resized.jpg
20180926_113256_resized.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 843 times
20180926_095838_resized.jpg
20180926_095838_resized.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 843 times
20180927_144752_resized.jpg
20180927_144752_resized.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 843 times
Great catch dude. In all honesty, and not to be a d--- about it BUT I would recommend you try really really hard to smooth out your filing! :wink:

8)
blindrodie wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:36 pmGreat catch dude. In all honesty, and not to be a d--- about it BUT I would recommend you try really really hard to smooth out your filing!
Gottafly,

I can agree, there, but try using emery cloth (it comes in all grades, from coarse to fine) by hand, rather than using steel tools. Finishing up with the finer grades of emery cloth will give your work a professional look and feel. Put cellophane tape over the slot, before you start, so metal dust and abrasives don't get in there.
:mrgreen:
red wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 pm
blindrodie wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:36 pmGreat catch dude. In all honesty, and not to be a d--- about it BUT I would recommend you try really really hard to smooth out your filing!
Gottafly,

I can agree, there, but try using emery cloth (it comes in all grades, from coarse to fine) by hand, rather than using steel tools. Finishing up with the finer grades of emery cloth will give your work a professional look and feel. Put cellophane tape over the slot, before you start, so metal dust and abrasives don't get in there. Vacuum the area clean, after the work is done.
:mrgreen: