All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

I mean come on! There they were standing up there on Launch, John and I think the Pilots Name was Anna. Well anyways just how hard is it? She could see the LZ from Launch. I am sitting here critiquing a Pilots Skill, or should I say lack of skill. By saying that I think that this Pilot is a TERRIBLE PILOT! This really goes against my grain. For I believe that if you are going to Stab someone. You stab them in the Chest, not the back. I have never met Anna , I most likely never will. I am sitting here typing this drivel. Do not think that my ranting on , and on about this terrible Hang Glider Pilot is a Male Pilot who has a problem with Female Pilots. That this is a Male really having a problem with female Pilots. No, NO it is not. For in my world, of hang Glider Pilots. I would say that the small percentage of female Pilots that I know. That these Female Pilots are BETTER Pilots than their male Pilots counterparts. I Mean look at Pilots that many of you know yourselves, or have heard about: Pilots such as Tammy Bucar, Kari Kastle, and others. hese Pilots are able to smoke when flying their Gliders. Why? Because their Minds work so well. Yes, I am not afraid to admit it: I am envious of Kari Kastles mind. Yes, I said it, here on the world wide Webb. I admitted to having a terrible case of "MIND ENVY" . Oh sure when it comes to doing something that requires a person to have a good strong Raw physical Strength. I could bury these woman. I Have bench pressed over a quarter Ton. But as to flying a Hang Glider. i these Females could destroy me. I can live with that. But just remember: That I am the Pilot who has a Bad Case of intellectual inadequacy compared to Female pilots.

Well I hope you enjoyed my little dissertation regarding my thoughts Both Female, and on Male Hang Glider Pilots.
Good By Chris McKeon CCMCK@GOLDSTATE.NET . . 925-497-1059
Chris, have you ever thought about purchasing an R/C sailplane and using that to let some of the flying-gizz out of your system? Something like a Radian. When I can't go to the mountain, and I see buzzards having a ball in the thermals over my farm, I whip it out and go fly with them. It's a blast.
I've also found that there are some very good R/C flying simulation programs that help you hone your skills before you go and crack up that new glider.
They're probably pretty good for the real thing, too.
No, I have Not given Flying a R-C much of a Thought. But then again, maybe I should. I want to say to every one of you that I truly appreciate your Kind Wiords, Thoughts and your inspirational thoughts. I think about what my Sister says to me every so often: "EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY." I have not tried my hand at flying a Sailplane for about two Months now. I want to get back into that Grobe ans see if I can get a handle on my tendency to P-I-Owhile the Glider is under Tow.
DMarley wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:28 pmChris, have you ever thought about purchasing an R/C sailplane and using that to let some of the flying-gizz out of your system? Something like a Radian. When I can't go to the mountain, and I see buzzards having a ball in the thermals over my farm, I whip it out and go fly with them. It's a blast.
I've also found that there are some very good R/C flying simulation programs that help you hone your skills before you go and crack up that new glider. They're probably pretty good for the real thing, too.
Chris,

I will second that idea. When I can't fly (maybe with a storm approaching, or very weak lift), I find that an hour of stick time on my RC is about equal to half an hour of real airtime, in the way I feel when leaving the hill. You get to feel like you are the pilot in control of that mini-sailplane. The RC hobby shops can get you going on desktop RC simulators, which are 'way better than crumpling your RC plane when you are still learning how. An experienced RC guy can fly it with you at first, giving you control until you need a break, then flying (and even landing) the plane for you, until you get good. RC clubs can help, there. RC pilots like to mentor the new fliers, just as HG pilots do.
I remember a pilot named Wayne Ostiguy, who worked at Pacific Windcraft when I did. He wanted to learn to fly and got his Hang I, so I loaned him my old Javelin for him to learn on. Well, we were at Marina Beach and I was sort of driving around the dune line, staying inside a weak, narrow lift band, just strong enough for me to make some turns and stay up.

So I see Wayne taking off what we called the Big Dune, where the students practice take-offs and landings. After he took off, instead of landing, he turned left and caught the ridge lift. He ended up staying in it and making a TWO MILE flight with me following him, wondering what the hell was going on. He landed just before he ran our of beach to land in, and carried the glider back. It turned out that he really wanted to soar but hadn't learned how to turn yet.... It was just like him to go from Step One to Step Four without bothering with Steps Two and Three.

He got to be an excellent pilot. If you competed in the Marina Steeplechase or the Funston Air Races, you probably flew against him, and if you were like most people, you probably lost.
The Pilot that I was thinking about is named Anna. I mean think about it. You have a Rookie Pilot who just happens to be flying on a Day, a day that turns out to be a Day that one should take advantage of the Conditions by flying X-C. I for one think that this is just so Cool!

O-K I imagine that some of you will think that I am hiJacking my own Thread here. I think of what I am about to say here as that I am: "Diverting My Own Thread"

Question Guys: What is it with Women? What I am asking you Guys is this: Why is it that we do not see more Women Pilots. Hell, Women have what one needs in order to fly as I see it. They have what is needed in spades. For One needs not have an excess of Body strength in order to fly. One needs to have a Brain that works well. I believe that a Women have brains that generally ooze with the ability to function at the level of intelligence that is needed in order to fly a Hang Glider. I just wonder why we do not find ourselves flying among more Female Pilots?

So, I guess you may indeed feel correct in labeling me a {MALE SEXIST PILOT}. So if any way wants to contact me directly. Here is my Phone number: 925-497-1059. Good by Chris McKeon