All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By SkippyBall
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have been flying for a while now in Europe.
Recently I bought a great harness for a good price, but since I am not very fond of the color pink, I was wondering if I could color my harness in a way that it does not have bad impact on the durability / safety of the harness.

Does anyone have good suggestions for me if it is possible and what kind of paint ore ink I could use?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards,

Skippy
By remmoore
There's another pilot on this forum who used some type of fabric paint, but wasn't too happy with the results. The problem was the original color could be easily seen through the new painted color.

If I were to try to color my harness, I would use Plasti DIp. It's a spray-on rubberized coating that looks very much like paint, but can be easily built up in successive coats to give really good coverage. Porous materials work the best, so harness fabric would work quite well, IMO. I've used it on my harness boot, and it's still working very well after 10+ years. I've used in on flying gloves to change the color, and reduce porosity. I've also used it on other fabrics, just to change color. I think if I were to use it on a pink harness, I might use the red Plasti Dip, jus to ensure any residual pink shade isn't obvious. Black Plasti Dip would also probably work, but maybe a bit more risky.

RM
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
By remmoore
A few years ago, after I had success with Plasti Dip on my harness boot, a few other pilots used it to repair abrasion holes in their harnesses. I haven't heard more from them, but I expect their results were as good as mine.

If I were to use Plasti Dip only to color a harness, I would use only a many (or few) coats as needed to mask the original color. While Plasti Dip looks and feels like paint for the first few coats, it can be built up to fill all the voids in the fabric, and make a more solid finish. That might be undesirable for the flexible areas of the harness, and the coating might fatigue over time. I would expect to only need 2-3 coats to change the harness color, and not effect the fabric's structural appearance.

As I stated earlier, I've had great success in changing the color of nylon-covered flying gloves, which of course are very flexible. I've now had these gloves for about 5 years, and the coating appears to be holding up very well.

RM
By miraclepieco
Probably be better off to send it n to a harness repair shop and have them sew colored panels on the exterior. Doesn't have to be total coverage, just predominantly your color.

I've used Mar-hyde fabric color spray on auto upholstery. It works very well except on the high wear areas, where it eventually wears away.
By SkippyBall
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the feedback ! I have been checking a lot on youtube regarding the Plasti Dip. Thx for the tip!
I will buy a spray can and will do a test on the external radio pocket.

If this does not satisfy, I will let someone sew it with light-weight dark cloth. :goodidea:

Best!

Skippy
By thermaleo
You could use a dye to color the harness. What color do you want it? I imagine you could fairly easily dye it black or red for example, though yellow might be more difficult. You could also try to first remove some of the original color, using a non chlorine bleach. I have dyed lots of things - it's not hard. Google it.

Leo Jones
By Avnav8r
Hey,

Spray shoe paint works pretty well. I once bought an ugly lime green CG1000 and painted it purple. It turned out pretty well and looked a whole lot better than the original color!
By Avnav8r
Hey,

Spray shoe paint works pretty well. I once bought an ugly lime green CG1000 and painted it purple. It turned out pretty well and looked a whole lot better than the original color!