All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By miraclepieco
It seems that so many paragliding crashes are reported as hang glider crashes that we find ourselves in the unenviable position of possibly having more reported hang glider crashes than we actually have hang glider pilots.

https://www.kxly.com/news/north-idaho-m ... /772087228

At least this media outlet corrected their error, after the damage was done, of course:

Editor’s note: This story was changed on July 25, 2018. A previous version misidentified the type of glider Croft had been using, due to a source’s error.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/j ... dent-on-s/

The mis-reporting in no way diminishes our respectful condolences to the pilot's loved ones. I'm sure EVERYONE wants the media to get it right.
By DMarley
Editor’s note: This story was changed on July 25, 2018. A previous version misidentified the type of glider Croft had been using, due to a source’s error.
Ha. Most likely the reporter's error.

Perhaps we should modify 'hang glider' to 'Delta Glider,' or 'Delta Wing,' and call ourselves 'Delta Pilots.'
'Hang glider' holds a very negative connotation to most zombies. Not that I give a rat's arse about zombies, but there are some living souls out there that would like to learn HG if only their families / spouses would condone it. I am very fortunate in that my wife was not so opposed to me flying HG and encourages me to go flying (perhaps I merely chose the best woman in the world). I'm bettin' that if our sport was referred to as 'Delta Gliding,' it might have been easier for many people to enter this sport, and perhaps pg wouldn't be as prolific. But then, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...
It'd be interesting to hear why the French began calling these 'Deltas' rather than the established term HG. Did they cringe at the word 'Hang?'
Proly far too advanced in the game to change the name now.

(all kinda tongue-in-cheek) :wink:
By red
miraclepieco wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 pm
It seems that so many paragliding crashes are reported as hang glider crashes that we find ourselves in the unenviable position of possibly having more reported hang glider crashes than we actually have hang glider pilots. At least this media outlet corrected their error, after the damage was done, of course The mis-reporting in no way diminishes our respectful condolences to the pilot's loved ones.

I'm sure EVERYONE wants the media to get it right.
Campers,

I strongly disagree with the last statement. The PG schools and PG instructors have a VESTED (money) interest in making sure the media gets it wrong. I have heard them insisting to the media that the latest incident was a Hang Glider crash, even while looking at the crumpled PG canopy on the ground.

Deflecting attention away from the deficiencies of PGs will just be a matter of money, to them. To anybody interested in preserving our HG sport, I would urge that every such case of "mis-identified" accidents should be clearly brought to the attention of the responsible media outlet. THEY do not want to get it wrong, in my experience.

I would offer condolences to the family and friends of the fallen, and support to any survivors, of course. Too many PG pilots seem to think that deploying a reserve parachute is just a normal part of personal flight. How to convince PG pilots otherwise, I do not know. At least, put the correct facts out there for them. We need to do that.

All IMHO, of course.
By Paul H
red wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am
miraclepieco wrote:
It seems that so many paragliding crashes are reported as hang glider crashes that we find ourselves in the unenviable position of possibly having more reported hang glider crashes than we actually have hang glider pilots. At least this media outlet corrected their error, after the damage was done, of course The mis-reporting in no way diminishes our respectful condolences to the pilot's loved ones.

Campers,

I strongly disagree with the last statement. The PG schools and PG instructors have a VESTED (money) interest in making sure the media gets it wrong. I have heard them insisting to the media that the latest incident was a Hang Glider crash, even while looking at the crumpled PG canopy on the ground.

Deflecting attention away from the deficiencies of PGs will just be a matter of money, to them. To anybody interested in preserving our HG sport, I would urge that every such case of "mis-identified" accidents should be clearly brought to the attention of the responsible media outlet. THEY do not want to get it wrong, in my experience.

I would offer condolences to the family and friends of the fallen, and support to any survivors, of course. Too many PG pilots seem to think that deploying a reserve parachute is just a normal part of personal flight. How to convince PG pilots otherwise, I do not know. At least, put the correct facts out there for them. We need to do that.

All IMHO, of course.
Who are these PG instructors and schools making these claims? I have never heard a PG pilot claiming that after an incident. If you have personal knowledge of this, you should name names.
By NMERider
Paul H wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:46 pm
red wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am
miraclepieco wrote:
It seems that so many paragliding crashes are reported as hang glider crashes........
......The PG schools and PG instructors have a VESTED (money) interest in making sure the media gets it wrong. I have heard them insisting to the media that the latest incident was a Hang Glider crash, even while looking at the crumpled PG canopy on the ground.....All IMHO, of course....
Who are these PG instructors and schools making these claims? I have never heard a PG pilot claiming that after an incident. If you have personal knowledge of this, you should name names.
I agree with Paul H.
I see the following contradiction:
I have heard them insisting to the media that the latest incident was a Hang Glider crash
&
All IMHO, of course
Either red heard something or red opined something or is it a little of both?
That's a very serious fallacy and if it's a fraud or deception it needs to be exposed to the very same media that was mislead. That would make it a scoop and a chance for the HG community to go on the record of being deliberately undermined by a group who knowingly allows students to be needlessly injured. However, I am dubious of the validity of the 'IMHO' and making false accusations only makes the HG community look like the ones who should be shunned rather than the other way around.
By red
Campers,

I don't win a dime by saying what I heard. If I could name names, I would, but it was a few years back. I knew the people involved as being PG pilots, but none of their names. "IMHO" just refers to my disagreement with the statement that
and what I thought about that, not referring to what I actually heard.

..It happens, make no mistake.
Snowy peaks at Villa, everyone soared

... Great to see Villa Grove with autumn scenery a[…]

I tried to run the Python script but it only gener[…]

Merely theorizing here, again... (beware of specul[…]

Burning Desire to Fly on Friday

Wow, those guys get in close with their big birds.[…]