All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By magentabluesky
Someone went hang gliding over a forest fire and you shouldn’t do that

A hang glider was spotted near the Red Canyon 2 Fire burning east of Wolcott.

Author: Allison Sylte
Published: 11:19 AM MDT July 9, 2018
Updated: 11:40 AM MDT July 9, 2018

KUSA – Unfortunately, over the past few weeks, 9NEWS has gotten more news releases about forest fires in Colorado to count. There was a line in one – an update on the Red Canyon 2 Fire burning two-and-a-half miles east of Wolcott -- that piqued our interest.

“No Fly Zone: Aerial operations are ongoing, please refrain from hang gliding and paragliding in the area. Additionally, please refrain from flying drones in the area. Remember, if you fly, we can’t.”

STORY | Red Canyon 2 Fire near Wolcott grows to 26 acres

This came from a Monday morning update sent by the U.S. Forest Service. Drones, unfortunately, are a known problem for firefighters. But hang gliding and paragliding?

“It’s a new one for me as a public information officer, for sure,” said Kate Jerman, the spokesperson for the White River National Forest.

Jerman said a hang glider was spotted above the Red Canyon 2 Fire on Monday. This is a no-no, because a type III helicopter is conducting water bucket drops in the area.

RELATED | Information about the multiple wildfires burning in Colorado right now

She said the area is popular for hang gliding, but while firefighters are working to protect people’s homes, Jerman is asking that adrenaline enthusiasts refrain from flying above the fire zone.

If you’re wondering about the difference between hang gliding and paragliding is, there’s an explainer here: https://bit.ly/2zkU9As

A half dozen people and two horses were evacuated Sunday afternoon due to the Red Canyon 2 Fire. The blaze started above the Eagle Springs Golf Course in Wolcott, and has since burned 26 acres of mostly sagebrush.

Link to Article

If You Fly, We Can't

FAA TFR LIST

Be Smart - Save Part 103
By magentabluesky
The Plot Thickens

Vail Daily Article

No fly zone

A Type 3 helicopter dropped water on the fire through the late afternoon and early evening Sunday and most of the day Monday.

Earlier Monday morning, someone was hang gliding or parasailing near the fire.

The pilot was flying in the normal way and along the same route that parasailing pilots fly in the Wolcott area — not directly over the fire, but near enough that if the helicopter had been flying, it could have been a problem.

It's more common for people to fly drones over or near fires, said Kate Jerman, public information officer with the U.S. Forest Service, who added that in her tenure with the Forest Service, she'd never seen anything quite like it.

"That's why we tell people, 'If you fly, we cannot,'" Mayville said.
Vail Daily Article Link

Rocky Mountain Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association

Wolcott Site Guide Link

Wolcott Ridge

The Vail Valley's mid-day to evening flying site. It faces west and is generally flyable from noon to sunset. We find the evening is the best time to fly this site as conditions become perfect for hours of soaring and high altitude gains of 1,000 to 8,000 feet above launch level. The road to launch is a rough 4-wheel drive road, and you must access this site with a local pilot. The landing is on private property, permissible through an agreement between the Vail Soaring Club and the property owners. This site offers the best situation for cross-country flights, and there have been numerous cross-country flights from 5 to 50 miles. It is located 30 minutes from Vail.

Radio Frequency

151.955 MHz

Directions

From Denver head west 120 miles past Vail/Beaver Creek to Wolcott turn on hwy 131 to Steamboat about 3 miles up turn right to the Eagle county landfill.

Takeoff parking requires permission and gatecode from Vail Paragliding Club. Also requires 4x4 vehicle with great undercarriage clearance.

Contact Vail Valley Paragliding 970-376 -0495 for more information.

I Love Part 103
Attachments
Red Canyon 2 Fire.JPG
Red Canyon 2 Fire.JPG (122.71 KiB) Viewed 928 times
By airtimeabove
There was no TFR in place for this fire. That doesn't mean the pilot was smart or should have flown near a fire but he was not in violation of air space.

Fire fighting operation and air space should always be respected to keep our right to fly and never endanger any one else on the ground or in the air.

Again a TFR is not mentioned in the news articles you are eluding to and there was no TFR for this fire.
By DAVE 858
No TFR means no rules were violated. We have the same s--- going on here at Woodrat for the 2nd year in a row. They put a helicopter fire base in the field west of the main LZ and launch. They have approached the club and asked that we refrain from flying. The club and USHPA have decimated social media notices and emails asking the membership to honor the requests of the fire fighters.

My problem with this is that it creates a situation, where through negligence or flat out defiance of authority, someone is going to violate this request. This is what happened here last year and it sounds like what happened in this case in colorado. There was no TFR just activity near by and someone flew, which was completely legal. My problem is how the forrest service goes about handling this problem. They spin it up to be something it isn't and get the press involved and make the flying community look like a bunch of yahoos, which we are, but still! I do not understand not expanding the boundaries of the TFR to include the launch and LZ if it is that big of a concern. Does a TFR cost money? Is there some kind of beaurocratic red tape and hoops to jump through??? I don't understand how it works, but I imagine they have to justify the need for the boundaries of the TFR to the FAA for approval. The TFR not only effects us but all of general aviation, so they are probably only allowed minimal boundaries and I'm guessing that pesky hang gliders and paragliders are not enough justification to expand the TFR boundaries. Again this is just a guess. Please enlighten me as I don't know what hoops and tape are required to enact a TFR.

I personally will honor the requests of the forrest service and will refrain from flying until conditions improve. After all I have to live here and get along with people and Im not about making waves especially when it comes to site access. I just wish they would be more cut and dried about it, & I don't mean USHPA or the club, as they essentially have zero authority over anything.
By Roadrunner71
Reading this causes me to think about my situation. For on March 28th. 2010 I really do not know what exactly happened regarding the pounding I took. But during the Landing process I caused myself to fly through rotor caused by a Euptilyptis Tree Line in High winds of approximately 30 MPH in strength. Well when I regained consciousness In Kaiser Hospital Vallejo. I remember Pilot-X came to see me. Well one of the first thoughts that I had was that being that I had Begun my Flight from Mount Diablo. That somehow I had jeopardised flying from our Beloved Mtn. Mount Diablo.
By remmoore
DAVE 858 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 pm
I fail to see how the story u have told over & over again in multiple threads has any relavance to the topic at hand.
Maybe not so much to this thread, but as a regular reminder of how decimating TBI can be. We have a brother who struggles every day to return to the person he once was. The underlying message - don't fly with a poorly designed helmet.

RM
By Roadrunner71
While it is true that I do indeed struggle every Day to fully recover, I am recovering. I think that None of you realize how much I appreciate the fact that I will achieve a full recovery. I was attempting to make the point that I was very concerned over the possibility that I might have jeopardized Flying from our Beloved Mountain. Dave you seem to me at least to have used the appropriate word when you responded to my post. How you FAILED. Yes You Failed to see in my response as to how a pilot Me, had flown from a site and had flown in an area that would jeopardize flying at the Site. You Failed to see how my experience was relevant to the Topic at hand.

Dave: Flying is the most positive experience of my entire Life. Just as it was with my not wanting to jeopardize flying from our Mountain. I do not want to cause any of you any striff. Therefore I will cease to put up any future Posts on this Forum.
By DAVE 858
I am sorry Chris for reacting the way I did. I just got frustrated that a discussion which was originally about TFR was changed into something else completely off topic. A forum moderator's job is to stop stuff like that from happening, I have voiced concerns over this in the past and they have fallen on deaf ears.

I appreciate your contributions to the forum and am inspired by your recovery from your accident. Please don't leave the forum because I am an just an asshole, as I am sure many will inform you. So please Chris I offer my apology in hopes you accept it.

Respectfully

Dave 858
By Roadrunner71
DAVE 858 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:01 pm
I am sorry Chris for reacting the way I did. I just got frustrated that a discussion which was originally about TFR was changed into something else completely off topic. A forum moderator's job is to stop stuff like that from happening, I have voiced concerns over this in the past and they have fallen on deaf ears.

I appreciate your contributions to the forum and am inspired by your recovery from your accident. Please don't leave the forum because I am an just an asshole, as I am sure many will inform you. So please Chris I offer my apology in hopes you accept it.

I'm doing a test here

Dave 858
By DMarley
Chris.... please refrain from refraining! We love you and appreciate your comments. Dave is an asshat (not really, but...) so take his apology and laugh along with all of us (including Dave).
You're a BIG part of our brotherhood. The .ORG would not be the same without THE BIG GUY.
:thumbsup:
-doug
By Roadrunner71
Hi Guys:

First off: I want to say thanks to those of you who have had kinder words to say about me than I deserve. Hey Dave what I just said means you also.

Chris
Snowy peaks at Villa, everyone soared

... Great to see Villa Grove with autumn scenery a[…]

I tried to run the Python script but it only gener[…]

Merely theorizing here, again... (beware of specul[…]

Burning Desire to Fly on Friday

Wow, those guys get in close with their big birds.[…]