All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

Personally, I'd file charges against the PG pilot, assault and reckless endangerment. Sounds like that's what the injured person is doing. From his Facebook page:

If anyone knows or sees a MOLLY MILAGROS REINHART please notify her she is wanted for hit and run on the launch site of Mount 7 in Golden, B.C. yesterday July 15, 2018. Her reckless flying of a paraglider over launch nearly killed me and injured or killed others. I was impacted hard and injured. There is film footage. She flew off without contacting anyone or returning to the scene of the accident. She is wanted by USHPA and HPAC and should contact them immediately and take responsibility, as any decent human being would, for her extremely dangerous flying antics.
I've seen a spectator ALMOST hit by a HG ramp buzzer. The guy is a great pilot too but had he hit a spectator and hurt them, I would say it would have impacted our entire HG existence locally. Everyone saw it and nothing came of it. No harm; NO Foul I guess. ??? :chair:
WhackityWhack wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 am I've seen a spectator ALMOST hit by a HG ramp buzzer. The guy is a great pilot too but had he hit a spectator and hurt them, I would say it would have impacted our entire HG existence locally. Everyone saw it and nothing came of it. No harm; NO Foul I guess. ??? :chair:
USHPA's dicklessness along with the hand-wringing and head-in-the-sand attitude of the free-flight population at large combined with its opacity lead to the loss of our outside liability insurance and will eventually bankrupt our RRRG placing the sport back in the early 70's or worse. It's only a matter of time. Glad I no longer rely exclusively on HG for my outdoor recreation and have many other interests.
Supposedly, Martin Palmaz has been in discussions with USHPA member 100799, Molly Milagros Reinhart. Boo Ya to that. As if meaningful discipline will even be meted out or she and similar USHPA pilots will change their arrogant ways? I'm certainly not holding my breath.

EDIT 11:04AM PDT - I believe that the pilot and wire man may be in contact and hope this gets resolved amicably and something good comes out of it.
Last edited by NMERider on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Paul H
NMERider wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm
WhackityWhack wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 am I've seen a spectator ALMOST hit by a HG ramp buzzer. The guy is a great pilot too but had he hit a spectator and hurt them, I would say it would have impacted our entire HG existence locally. Everyone saw it and nothing came of it. No harm; NO Foul I guess. ??? :chair:
USHPA's dicklessness along with the hand-wringing and head-in-the-sand attitude of the free-flight population at large combined with its opacity lead to the loss of our outside liability insurance and will eventually bankrupt our RRRG placing the sport back in the early 70's or worse. It's only a matter of time. Glad I no longer rely exclusively on HG for my outdoor recreation and have many other interests.
Supposedly, Martin Palmaz has been in discussions with USHPA member 100799, Molly Milagros Reinhart. Boo Ya to that. As if meaningful discipline will even be meted out or she and similar USHPA pilots will change their arrogant ways? I'm certainly not holding my breath.
Interesting post from the guy who has repeatedly posted videos of himself violating the FAR's and then attempting to justify those violations with BS explanations.
Paul H wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Interesting post from the guy who has repeatedly posted videos of himself violating the FAR's and then attempting to justify those violations with BS explanations.
Dear Paul,

I did not make this serious incident about ME but you seem to have little difficulty making this incident about YOU and your personal frustrations regarding my flying style. If YOU have a legitimate issue with ME then YOU need to take it up with ME in another forum along with any USHPA official responsible for the SOP enforcement and with the local FAA FSDO.

Best Wishes!
Jonathan
Back to the video.

I don't care how SORRY this pilot is! She is an ASSHOLE! There was a Tandem setup on that ramp also! If she had caught their nose wires (only a couple feet further away from hitting the guy), it would have been a disaster for everyone! I think she should lose her ratings and NEVER be allowed to fly again! :cuss:
By Rotor
Sounds like USHGA has become much more relaxed then it was in 1990 when they stripped my Hang 4 down to a Hang 2 just for doing inverted flight on a hang glider at an airshow after those running the airshow forbid me to do a loop. After I landed they quickly let me know I was in deep s---. Dam I hadn't hurt no one. Sounds as though the democrats have taken over down at USHGA :popcorn:
Today in Yoga our yoga instructor, Mary, said something quite profound;

“Listen to the silence in between the sound”.

So when I Googled both Jeff Buziak and Molly Milagros looking for “the video” other news stories came back on the search. Both have a life path taking them to the moment in time on the mountain in Golden. Even the site Golden has a past.

Knowing the back ground stories, it is hard not to have empathy for everyone involved. I think as a community we should have compassion for people, but still maintain strict standards for acceptable behavior.

Given the history at Golden, it is wonderful to see people taking the responsibility to insure safe operations in launching the tandem flight. Those people were vigilant on Molly’s first flyby. When Jeff is hit and walks away hurt, the left wire man takes the nose wire position, filling in. Another person checks on Jeff. Our craft binds us together as a community. Because free flight can be life threatening, the bond is that much tighter.

There was a responsible caring community on the launch site, concerned for safety.

Jeff Buzaik’s actions and life experience shows positive light, we can hope Molly’s life experience takes her to the light also.
"If a man dwells on the past then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past." - Master Po
“Listen to the silence in between the sound”.
I have been flying Hang Gliders for twenty three years. Way back when I was a Hang Two I took my 225 Falcon to mingus while I was down in Arizona on other Business. It was a Week Day Well I drove up to the Top of Mingus Mountain with My Falon on the Top of my truck with my wife. Well, the idea was for me to launch and then I believe that there was an Airport that I would have landed at below. Maybe someone will put up a post indicating that My memory is indeed longer than my Arm? Airport? So there I was there up on launch. Yes, it was just Me a rank Hang two, with my wife Jenny, with my Falcon. I'm telling you that I was so intimidated. I mean here I am shaking to the ground sweating my impending launch. I'm telling you guys that there were these big old Monster Thermals rolling through. like There were on a Secluded Time Clock. I so wanted launch and fly that week day at this killer Mountain called Mingus Mountain. There I was set up, I had preflighted my Glider I had my Harness on. I had performed a Hang-Check . So there I was a Rank low Air-time Hang-Two along with my itotal unlearned Wife-With My Wife Jenny trying to assist me by being my Wire Help. Well sat the Time I felt like a weenie. But looking back on it I was wize. I had no business being up there on top of that Big old Mountain, by myself. I did noyt even have a local Pilot there to give me some guidance.
By Paul H
NMERider wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 pm
Paul H wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Dear Paul,

I did not make this serious incident about ME but you seem to have little difficulty making this incident about YOU and your personal frustrations regarding my flying style. If YOU have a legitimate issue with ME then YOU need to take it up with ME in another forum along with any USHPA official responsible for the SOP enforcement and with the local FAA FSDO.

Best Wishes!
Jonathan
Awww, did I bruise your fragile ego by calling you out as a hypocrite?
I'm not making this about me at all, you are making it about everyone with your sweeping ad hominem attack on pilots and USHPA members.
You are nowhere near having any significance in my life to be able to cause me any frustrations. Get over yourself.
As far as having a legitimate issue with you and your BS attitude about your blatant violations, the whole point is not to be on the FAA's radar. Getting them involved because of one dumb ass would not be beneficial to hang gliding. We can only hope you don't cause an incident that would force the feds involvement. I've been involved with the local FSDO here about a hang gliding incident that involved two hang gliders and some commercial airliners and that is not the kind of attention that does our sport any good.
By TjW
WhackityWhack wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 pm Back to the video.

I don't care how SORRY this pilot is! She is an ASSHOLE! There was a Tandem setup on that ramp also! If she had caught their nose wires (only a couple feet further away from hitting the guy), it would have been a disaster for everyone! I think she should lose her ratings and NEVER be allowed to fly again! :cuss:
I'm pretty sure this is Canada. Assuming she flies mostly in Canada, I'm not sure exactly what the USHPA could do to prevent her flying.

And as several people active on the forum are fond of pointing out, not having a USHPA rating doesn't prevent you from flying.
Paul H wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:43 am....We can only hope you don't cause an incident that would force the feds involvement....
If this has been your concern all along then rest assured that I've never even come close to having an adversarial encounter with the FAA for any reason. I have a very good working relationship with various FAA offices and personnel. I been involved in or contributed to meetings and communications that promote public safety and preserve our freedom of free-flight. If you or anyone else is doing the same then I certainly respect that.

4-1/2 years ago I chose to deal with a serious incident with pilots who not only chose to fly past midnight while drunk on beer and in front of 6 students but bragged about the stunt on social media where they received numerous pats on the back from other pilots. This potentially threatened one of the most import sites in the U.S. I preserved all available documentation and provided it to the appropriate club officials who then promptly declared it was a personal matter between me and the offenders and proceeded to identify me to the pilots and gave out my cell phone number. I brought it up to the local RDs and again received the royal blow-off. I went to USHPA and raised holy hell. I learned that there were far worse problems that were being pussy-footed around. Not long after this came the fatal HG tandem crash at Jean Lake that ended our outside liability insurance. Do you see a pattern here?

Eventually discipline was meted out and one pilot cleaned their act and is now an asset to the entire community. The other pilot never changed and went one to have several crashes that royally fucked up other pilots' days. Luckily I was there during the last crash and shot a photo sequence that I provided to the USHPA safety analyst. That pilot lost several rating permanently including a tandem rating. We are the eyes and ears of not only USHPA but of the FAA and even local law enforcement and if we don't clearly document and report it then nobody is any the wiser other than the offender who takes it as a sign to keep up with their behavior.

There have been numerous other incidents that involved a real and direct threat to public safety in which I persevered the documentation and brought it to the attention of the local USHPA official responsible. I have had several good outcomes including the production of a club safety video. In my case I do push my limits beyond was is reasonable but I have never, ever recklessly endangered a member of the public. There is always the prospect of having to land on a rooftop or hit a parked vehicle. Nothing like this has ever happened to me since but I'd still have to pay for repairs if it did. I've never damaged crops in an out-landing where I needed to pay the farmer for the loss of revenue. Many pilots have to do this and it's a risk of X/C flying.

Where we all need to draw the line on ourselves and one another is flying that poses a threat to another human being. This just isn't being done as it should. Not only ate too few pilots reporting public safety threats and incidents but the USHPA discipline process is opaque and my experiences have been generally disappointing and frustrating to the point where most pilots stop giving a rat's ass.

The FAA doesn't have time for us Paul, unless we fail to exercise 'See and Avoid' and fail to get out of the way of approaching aircraft which results in a near-miss report or evasive maneuver that injures passengers. There is a famous case of an airliner on approach to ORD that made a sudden evasive maneuver to avoid striking a sailplane that had no business lingering in a well-established glide path. That raised a shitstorm and it happened after I repeatedly and specifically warned SoCal TRACON that this was coming but they ignored it. I was taken seriously after that folly but to what end? Drones are now f---ing it up for everybody and we in the free-flight community are ultimately going to pay for their sins.

Until ADS-B transponders are affordable and registered for Free-Flight use there is really very little we can do other than study glide-paths and stay vigilant at all times.

If I remain a thorn in your side, then so be it.
I have, and will fly any Aircraft given the Chance. I have Primarily flown my Beloved Predator for the last 20 years or so. I have recently begun flying Sailplanes. March 28th 2010 I experienced a blown landing approach in 30 mile an hour winds that crash almost killed me. I was in a coma for Months, unconscious, effectively I wa dead to the World. I remember when my friend Pilot-X came to see me. One of the First thoughts that I had was to ask "X " if by my blowing my landing had I jeopardized our ability to fly off our Beloved Mountain. It would have killed me to jeopardize our ability to fly that Mountain.

We all know how much Guts a person must have in order to fly a Paraglider. But the thought never ever entered my Mind That in order be on a launch that I would need defensive skills in order to remain un injured by a contact encounter of the Paraglider Kind. Paraglider Pilots really have pure guts.
I think it’s easier to read without all of the unnecessary quotes. Especially when someone is responding to a previous comment directly above. Too much scrolling guys..
By red
bickford frederick wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pmI think it’s easier to read without all of the unnecessary quotes. Especially when someone is responding to a previous comment directly above. Too much scrolling guys..
Hey,

A World Manager has issued orders to you here, so just fall into formation, listen up, and NO independent thinking!!
:roflcat: