All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By miraclepieco
Join us for
Wills Wing Demo Days
Tryout their new Sport 3

What a great way to spend Cinco de Mayo. Representatives from Wills Wing, the oldest and largest hang glider manufacturer in the United States, will be setting up gliders at Fort Funston in San Francisco starting at 9:00am. They will be bringing their new Sport 3 as well as their standard set of first-rate gliders.

Oh wait, there's more ..

May 5th the Fellow Feathers H.G. club will be hosting a Vintage Day event at the Fort.. Hamburgers, hotdogs, soda and water will be provided (and a few Vegan/vegetarian dishes as well) You! Please bring a side dish for 15 people or more..

There will be a number of pilots bringing vintage gliders to set up for a group photo (if you have one, please bring it). Also, there will be a Spot Landing Contest - 1st place wins $100.00 cash. 2nd & 3rd place wins mystery prizes. Contest entry is $25 and you get 3 attempts.

No RSVP is necessary but you should plan on being there to beat the rush and get into the air while the conditions are best. The forecast for Saturday looks great!

Parachute Clinic at Mission Soaring
Learn about one of your most important pieces of safety equipment - your parachute. Discuss the practical aspects of deploying a parachute and then actually deploy your chute - experience man-made turbulence while you hang in your harness in the shop and practice throwing your chute. This alone is worth the price of admission. Also, you'll have the opportunity to observe a parachute repack.

All customers who have bought a parachute from Mission Soaring are welcome to participate in one parachute clinic at no charge; otherwise, the charge for the clinic is $80. Details:
Parachute Clinic
Saturday, May 19
9:00am - 1:00pm
Mission Soaring Center
1116 Wrigley Way
Milpitas

Contact the shop to get on the participant list.

Our mailing address is:
mission@hang-gliding.com
By SlopeSkimmer
We put 23 adults and a few kids on the Big Air Hang Gliding simulator yesterday. We picked up 5 new students and gave out 40 business cards. What a great day for growing the sport of hang gliding! Special thanks to instructors Paul and Andy for helping out.

By waltspoint
Agreed! Lots of fun and flying. Conditions were great, tons of people got hours of airtime. Thanks Rob for cooking us all delicious burgers! It was amazing to see some of those old gliders flying. The Antares was truly a weird contraption, and the Raven actually stayed up quite well! I'd have liked to see one of the two Stratus 5s fly, but they didn't launch. A very striking opportunity to compare the old and new gliders. Everyone who flew the Sport 3 raved about it. And it got flown by a lot of people, so that's a lot of raves! Thanks Fellow Feathers, a club full of nice people and a well run flying site.

Push out, /jd

ps. Flying conditions today were great as well!
By red
Campers,

I guess I see a glider on some jackstands, but I really don't see a HG Simulator. I suppose anything is better than nothing, huh?

This HG Simulator is in the WIKI here:

http://youtu.be/qZzQ9nWNkyw

For this Simulator, you can use a three-axis trike connection instead of the Heim connector on the end of the boom, if you wish. There is no need for that "anti-yaw" gadget at the rear. The student can stand on stair-steps (or any solid platform support) to hook in; there's no need to move the truck each time, to lift the student.

I really encourage the use of three-axis HG Simulators, for any teaching scenario. Any old glider will do, for this use.
By SlopeSkimmer
red wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 pm Campers,

I guess I see a glider on some jackstands, but I really don't see a HG Simulator. I suppose anything is better than nothing, huh?
That is a nice one. I may have to build one of those. The one that we have in the photos above articulates in roll only. This simple design is great for teaching roll inputs and how to not cross control. There is no set-up time, you can simply throw any glider up on it and put the keel support pole in place.
By red
SlopeSkimmer wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:03 pmThat is a nice one. I may have to build one of those. The one that we have in the photos above articulates in roll only. This simple design is great for teaching roll inputs and how to not cross control. There is no set-up time, you can simply throw any glider up on it and put the keel support pole in place.
SlopeSkimmer,

Any glider would work with the Mantis-type Simulator, but you want to take the time to "trim" that glider for hands-off flight. This is easy, by using a second hang loop (set at the right spot) for the Simulator, and maybe moving the trike fitting on the keel, if using a trike fitting. You may also need to tie a sandbag on top of the nose, to get the hands-off trim correct. Once you do this, it will be easy to duplicate those "adjustments" at any time in the future.

When I had one set up in the Denver shop, the local HG "aces" would come by to scoff, but soon they were practicing their aerobatic routines, eyes shut tight and grinning from ear to ear.
8)
The "feel" is that good.