All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Roadrunner71
HELMETS: We must protect our number one Asset, our BRAINS! I would love to know Just what Helmet being manufactured today if you were to have the carse where you would need Said Helmet to lessen the shock resulting from an impact, being thus transferred to the wearwers Brain. Just what Helmet would protect the wearers from the shock loading the best in regards to Helmets that are on the Market.
By remmoore
DMarley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 pm...there is a limit to the energy absorption of any helmet. Past that point, marked cards aren't' gonna help.
Completely true, but there are many options available which will provide much better impact and rotational force protection than EN-966 helmets such as Charly and Icaro. If Chris (Roadrunner) had been wearing a Kali Shiva instead of his Charly Insider, his near-fatal head injuries may well have been lessened. Even most downhill and BMX helmets provide better protection than HG helmets.

RM
By Roadrunner71
Guys the mere fact that I am sitting here at my Computer typing away putting up this post. For it bears bears a testament to my Bodies ability to recover from that severe injury that my Body took 8 years ago. but now today for me to put my Head in motion. With the possibility of my skull and my brain experiencing a sudden stop. Weather that situation occurs as as result of my Flying my Predator, My ridding a Jumping Horse, my ridding of a Bicycle, whatever activity that I am to engage in. I need the Finest Helmet made. I just am not sure what Helmet that is. It very well might be a Kali Silva. Or maybe another Brand. What ever Make Helmet that would be appropriate for me. I want one.
By remmoore
waltspoint wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:50 am Where would I find these Kalis in stock to try on? Would motorcycle shops carry them? Push out, /jd
First off, I don't formally represent Kali in any manner - I'm just a huge fan of their primary focus, which is to create better helmet protection. That may sound funny, but I'm convinced many helmet manufacturers are only interested in making flashier helmets that increase their sales bottom line. No consideration for improved safety - Icaro certainly comes to mind in the HG world. I've met with Brad, Kali's principal designer and co-owner, three times and our discussions about improvements in helmet safety were really eye-opening . This rocket engineer (yes, really) became so interested in improving helmet safety that he set up his own company to design and build them.

So, to your question - you can go to Kali's website and find their dealer locator. I've heard that the dealer-finder component of Kali's website has been funky at times, and folks have called direct to their sales department for dealer assistance.

RM
By Roadrunner71
Guys: This is great I see that you guys have a genuine interest in keeping your selves protected. I hope that that there is even more interest displayed upon this Subject.
By remmoore
Roadrunner71 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 am Guys: This is great I see that you guys have a genuine interest in keeping your selves protected. I hope that that there is even more interest displayed upon this Subject.
Me too, buddy. If something good can come from your horrific ordeal and years-long struggle to recover, maybe it can be that many more pilots think about helmet safety and reconsider what they are using. More than anyone, you know just how painfully difficult it is to recover from a HG injury to the brain.

RM
By Roadrunner71
What I would really like to see is: Some new Technology Regarding Protecting One's Brain from being subjected to being in the situation where because of the Pilot having experiencing a Head Strike. Well the Helmet i hope to see is: A Helmet that would absorb the Shock loading that would normally with the Helmets that we have now. Well the Helmets we Have now when push comes to shove. Well in the event that I am talking about is an unwarranted Strike. We need a Better Helmet. We need said Designers to start with a fresh sheet of paper. We need a better Mouse-Trap.
By idahoDal
That's a *fantastic* deal. I have a large but its a bit tight so I may take advantage of this to snag an XL. Anyone that has been on the fence about getting a proper helmet should jump on this.

Looks like its on sale because Kali has a new version? Its so hard to understand the difference between helmets on Kali's site...
By remmoore
Kali supplies helmets to Motorfist - a snowmobiling apparel company - which re-lables Kali's Shiva helmet as the Motorfist Alpha. Kali also has come out with the Shiva 2, so the Shiva is sometimes available at a reduced price.

RM
By remmoore
BTW, here are a couple of photos of my Shiva. One of them is a comparison shot of my XXL Shiva next to smaller-sized Charley helmets. You can see that through advances in technology Kali has managed to make their DOT rated Shiva similar in size to HG helmets. Even with the face shield, mine is just over 1000g which isn't much more than the Charley No Limit according to my measurements.
Add description
Add description
DSC00165.JPG (6.41 MiB) Viewed 1351 times
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Shiva Comparison 3.JPG (790.57 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
By Roadrunner71
I'm really thinking that for me to risk putting my skull in a moving situation such as in a activity such as Hang-Gliding. I will need to protect my Brain. For I have come to learn that a second TBI is considered Catroscoppic. I am saying that a first Brain injury is catroscoppic. I never thought that I would experience a Bad landing such as I did on March 28th 2010. I wonder if say from the drive to protect Football Players From TBI's if there will be a push forward in Helmet Technology. I must protect my Brain. If you Guys are wondering if I am some sort of a Hack Badlander, Well Maybe some of my friends will chime in here and say that I can indeed land a Hang Glider.

It is not just Hang-Gliding that is in Jeopardy of being an activity that engage in. It is anything that puts my skull in motion with a possible sudden stop. That would be riding my Bicycle, Skateboarding, snowsking, Anything.

So, any of you have any thoughts, or information?
By remmoore
Chris,

You've made an excellent point and lead to another.

Yes, you had very good landing skills, and were able to put it down in small places with apparent ease. While we're never going to know exactly what happened to you on that day, the more compelling point is that if it happened to a highly-skilled pilot like you, it can certainly happen to others. We absolutely shouldn't wait until a major impact happens to consider if our current helmet is enough.

From our post-crash discussions, I know you hadn't really given much consideration to the quality of your Charley Insider helmet. It's been a standard for HG pilots for some number of years and has the EN-966 certification for air sports. Of course, anyone who has compared the EN-966 to something more relatable like DOT (what motocross helmets require) can tell the EN standard is quite low. Looking at a HG helmet when compared to a MC helmet is downright scary, and thinking about how a tumble from a dirtbike could easily compare to a HG crash like yours makes me wonder why anyone would leave themselves open to the level of pain and long-term suffering you've endured.

Chris, I've noticed a significant number of you flying buddies change their helmets for something more protective. They've seen what inadequate helmet protection did to you, and are looking for better protection for themselves. In posting on the .ORG I'm hoping to further spread the word, trying to convince others to seriously consider getting away from typical HG helmets. Yes, I'm a big fan of Kali, but there are many other options which are at least better than Charley, Icaro, etc when it comes to head protection.

When will a helmet be designed to protect a seriously TBI'd individual like yourself? I don't know, but I hope it happens. Meanwhile, the rest of us should try to protect against TBI in every way we reasonably can - including improved helmet protection.

RM
By Roadrunner71
Robert you and I know how smoking hot a Pilot I am at landing a Glider. That is why I am desperate to get Protection that will work for me. For I want to fly my Predator again. I was talking to John Heiney one Day. I said to John: "I was am so good at flying a Hang Glider, I must fly again. John replied: "Yes you are". But all this is simply patting myself on my Back. I can sit here and Talk about my abilities to fly and land a Hang Glider all day long. i can talk like some sort of half cocked Braggart. But the simple fact is that without proper Brain Protectection. I will not ever be able to risk my Skull going through an event that causes the rapid deceleration. I will never be able to ride my Bicycle, Ride my SkateBoard. Nor will I ever be able to risk crashing jumping a Big Old Warm-Blood Horse, or Thoroughbred Horse. I will have to say goodby to the thought of my Jumping a Horse 7' .
By Roadrunner71
X so if this Kali Helmet had the ability to shield my Brain from experiencing being subjected to an excessive G-Load. I would be: Like right now standing in line to buy one. But you and I know it would not lessen the G-Load from an impact. I bet there is not been research done regarding from say a twenty G impact. the kali helmet will lessen the g load that would reach the skull down by X amount of G's