All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Mudpitboarder
Hey gang,
Looking for advice on water ballast.
I'm getting back into HG after a long break. Picked up 3 used gliders to cover my re-learning curve. I fly in NW Wyoming, launching at 4-5000 AGL. I hook in at 180-185 pounds. I'm currently on a Falcon2 195 and she flies well. I do have an S2 155 for my next glider when I decide I'm ready for it. This is the high desert and it gets pretty bumpy to be hooked in at the lower end of the weight range so I decided to find out what and how you guys use water ballast. I'm very athletic, so I feel comfortable making a take off run with probably up to 20-30 pounds of water. I was thinking of making two carbon fiber aerodynamic containers that would Velcro at the centerpoint of my harness on each side, about a gallon each. Thank you forward for all advice.
Ati 307-272-6459
By red
Mudpitboarder wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pmHey gang,
Looking for advice on water ballast. I'm getting back into HG after a long break. Picked up 3 used gliders to cover my re-learning curve. I fly in NW Wyoming, launching at 4-5000 AGL. I hook in at 180-185 pounds. I'm currently on a Falcon2 195 and she flies well. I do have an S2 155 for my next glider when I decide I'm ready for it. This is the high desert and it gets pretty bumpy to be hooked in at the lower end of the weight range so I decided to find out what and how you guys use water ballast. I'm very athletic, so I feel comfortable making a take off run with probably up to 20-30 pounds of water. I was thinking of making two carbon fiber aerodynamic containers that would Velcro at the centerpoint of my harness on each side, about a gallon each. Thank you forward for all advice.
Mudpitboarder,

You might consider making or buying a backpack water container, maybe like a CamelBak. Aside from the weight, you can drink from it. Drinking your ballast water will not change your hook-in weight. :mrgreen:

You might want to try stowing the glider bag and straps in the harness, as a way to add consistent weight to your harness. You may need a large flat pocket added to the inside of your harness, , maybe across the back or legs, where you can store the cover bag folded flat, not rolled. A full-width zipper on that pocket will help.

For the time being, though, you might do better to avoid the mid-day turbulence entirely, in favor of the later afternoon thermals. Thermals will be bigger and friendlier then. If the mid-day air wears you thin, remember that you will be trying to land in that rowdy air, and fatigue is the enemy here - a real enemy that can ruin your fun. Launching later will allow you to stay up until the LZ (or desert) gets more reasonable. Then you won't be too tired to land well. Don't be in a wild rush to jump up and do battle with the angry mid-day sky. The sky will still be there when you are fully ready.

Spring is the wild and crazy time, Summer is the strong time, and Autumn is the mellow time. Choose your time and season wisely, young padawan. 8)

Two gallons of water will weigh 16.6 lbs. (7,57 kg). I would not want to land with water ballast aboard, so a mid-air dump system might be worthwhile.

My US$.02 worth . . .