All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By cookieflyer56
Looking to move up to a U2C. However, at 183 lbs. (not hook in weight), I am above the optimum body weight of the 145 size, and at the extreme low of the 160 size. Currently fly a Sport 2c 155, with "fits" my weight very well, and the glider weight is perfect.

Typically fly in light to moderate wind conditions, and not interested in heavy wind anymore (too old for that).

What's the consensus on pilot weight vs. glider size? Thoughts?

I'm sure this will generate lots of different opinions!
By Tormod
It's easier to add weight than to shed it. I don't mean to get fat but a heavy harness or ballast would enable you to fly a bigger glider.
By NMERider
cookieflyer56 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm Looking to move up to a U2C. However, at 183 lbs. (not hook in weight), I am above the optimum body weight of the 145 size, and at the extreme low of the 160 size. Currently fly a Sport 2c 155, with "fits" my weight very well, and the glider weight is perfect.

Typically fly in light to moderate wind conditions, and not interested in heavy wind anymore (too old for that).

I flew an early Mylar sail U2 160 when I weighed only 160# and hooked in at 180# in the conditions you are describing and it gave me a very satisfying set of flights with no issues. I can only imagine that the 2018 version is that much easier to handle than the '09 model. If you are patient I believe that WW will be introducing a larger version of the Sport 3 135/155 series. I put some serious mileage on the S3 155 last week at 195 to 205# hook-in and it proved to be a fantastic glider that weighed the same as my 2010 Sport 2 155 which I appreciate.
By cookieflyer56
NMERider wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm
cookieflyer56 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm Looking to move up to a U2C. However, at 183 lbs. (not hook in weight), I am above the optimum body weight of the 145 size, and at the extreme low of the 160 size. Currently fly a Sport 2c 155, with "fits" my weight very well, and the glider weight is perfect.

I flew an early Mylar sail U2 160 when I weighed only 160# and hooked in at 180# in the conditions you are describing and it gave me a very satisfying set of flights with no issues. I can only imagine that the 2018 version is that much easier to handle than the '09 model. If you are patient I believe that WW will be introducing a larger version of the Sport 3 135/155 series. I put some serious mileage on the S3 155 last week at 195 to 205# hook-in and it proved to be a fantastic glider that weighed the same as my 2010 Sport 2 155 which I appreciate.
The Sport 2c 155 I fly now is actually perfect size for me and does very well. However, the U2's I fly with seem to have a better glide.
Yes, I had heard noise about the Sport 3, and am very interested in what I saw due to the "affair" I have with the Sport 2 (ha) and the light weight of the glider. Still assuming the S3 would not be in the same glide performance as the U2?
By jcsaal
I agree with Jonathan, if you want to stick with WW then look at the U2C 160... It is 15 squares bigger than the 145 but it never felt overpowering to me.
I never owned a U2 but did borrowed several on both sizes, the 145 will carry your weight just fine but everything will happen faster as the wing-load will be higher, but, if most of your flying happen under the conditions you described, then the 160 will give you a better sink rate.

I was in the same predicament in 2016 although my motivation was the opposite... I wanted to step back from a Topless to a more mellow glider, I owned a WW Sport2 155 before moving to an Aeros Combat L137 (that is 13.7 sq meters)... and was looking at the U2 160 vs the Moyes Litesport 4, and, to be honest, those two are not an apples to apples comparison.
The Litesport is not an intermediate glider, it is indeed a high performance glider with a kingpost... some people assume is just a step above the Sport-2... it is not! The Litesport is as demanding as a Litespeed and also a heavier glider than the U2.

After much debating I finally went with the Moyes Gecko 155 with the Technora sail, and, for my current allotted time to fly and flying conditions I know I made the right decision... The Gecko also comes now in the 170 size.
My 155 Technora Gecko with zero VG is as mellow and forgiving as the Current Sport2, and with VG tight is very close to U2 performance, which to me is like having 2 gliders in one single package, easy enough to boat around and land in restricted fields and with enough glide to fly XC.

I would highly recommend you test fly both the Gecko 155 Technora and the U2C 160!... Both will be a step-up from the current Sport-2 in performance... also, if you can wait a little... the upcoming Sport-3 might have enough improvements... it looks like the VG on the S3 is much better and the yawing when pulled in is a thing of the past.

Good luck on your quest...

J
By TjW

I'm about 180, nekkid on the bathroom scale, and I fly a U2 160. I like it. But I've always chosen to fly on the lighter wing loading side, so maybe I'm just used to it.