All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

Hi guys,

I am since yesterday proud owner of an "almost new" Mazda CX-5. The car is beautiful, but it does not have roof rails. It has to fix points to put two rack bars (how is this called in english?), so it will be a pain to put them on and off every time. I know for the US models there is a rail available, but I think it does not fit EU models...

So I thought maybe someone in the forum owns a CX-5 and has a good solution to share?

Regs
Jorge
By red
paicolman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 amHi guys,
I am since yesterday proud owner of an "almost new" Mazda CX-5. The car is beautiful, but it does not have roof rails. It has to fix points to put two rack bars (how is this called in english?), so it will be a pain to put them on and off every time. I know for the US models there is a rail available, but I think it does not fit EU models... So I thought maybe someone in the forum owns a CX-5 and has a good solution to share?
Regs
Jorge
Jorge,

The WIKI here has some good ideas. Hopefully you will find a suggestion or two there.

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/Car_Rack

Many European countries have overhang limits for the front and rear of the car, when carrying long cargo like a hang glider. What is legal in one place may not be legal in another place. Check with the local police first (and show them pictures of what you want), before you invest in something that gets you an expensive legal issue.

Your English is fine. Racks are racks. 8) You might have a front rack, or a rear rack, to be specific.
Hi Jorge

I have a CX 5.

I have these roof racks from whispbar (expensive but looks Nice and makes almost no wind noise) http://www.whispbar.eu/en_eu/product-ca ... ixed-point

In addition to the roof rack I purchased a US style trAiler hitch 2»x2» and a t-bar. I’ll find a photo later. However, AS mentioned about the overhang, police will give you a s--- about the eccessive overhang (not within EU regulatins. If you wanna be on the safe side you Should try and make some Kind of front rack. I will actually try and make somthing like this: https://youtu.be/CYKrcZV4rGg
Thanks for the infos, Red and flyfly!

Flyfly, I will buy something similar from Thule, I think, and use it with a ladder as with my old Mazda5. I'm only a bit worried about the total weight allowed, I read the CX-5 is allowed to load up to 50Kg (the 5 was up to 75Kg), so carrying two hangies would be tops. Any experience on that? Are two ok? Three seems to be too much anyways...

In switzerland, they are not so restrictive with overhang, you are allowed up to 5 meters behind the rear axis and up to 3 meters in front of the steering wheel. You just have to signalize it if it's over 1 meter behind...

Now where is that credit card again... :cry:
The poor Load limit is why I added the t bar in the back. If only using a roof rack with a ladder I would be careful to put more than a single Wing on the Roof. I’ve had both two and three, but It hets really wobly
Thanks for the info, flyfly!

I would really like to see your t-bar in the rear if you get a chance to make a pic of it!
I also thought to use the tow screw in the front to do something similar but at the front instead of the back...

Regs