All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

I've searched the world o 'er and then I found tru love...Well that's a whole 'nother topic, in itself. I tell myself that I can't be the only one out here, with a big 'ole buckethead, who's into hang gliding, but then the more that I look, the more that I'm coming to the conclusion that, I probably am.
One night, my daughter and I were online shopping around for an XXL, helmet and measuring and re-measuring the circumference of my head (just to be sure). Finally, she asked me, "Dad, what's the reason that you need a bigger helmet?" and I replied, "Because the one that I have now, is a tad bit too tight on my head and it's hard to get on and most of my lower face hangs outside of it." Then she asks..."What size is your helmet?" and I say..."It's an Extra Large, the size is on the base of the back of the helmet." So she looks and starts laughing and says..." Well, I've got some bad news for you, daddy." "What?" I say... "This stamp on the back of your helmet says, XXL, I think you're going to need an XXXL." :roflcat:
By remmoore
So, what IS your head measurement - in centimeters? Different helmet manufacturers size helmets differently, so sticking with 'XL-XXL-XXXL' references won't necessarily get you what you need. I've got a 64 CM melon which is really hard to fit. Over then past few years, I've owned a number of helmets which worked for me - I only replaced each one with a helmet which was slightly better. I'm very happy with my current helmet, the Kali Shiva, which fits me well in the XXL size. DOT level protection in only 1000 G of weight.
Attachments
Kali Shiva Diablo 2-26-17.jpg
Add description
Kali Shiva Diablo 2-26-17.jpg (244.3 KiB) Viewed 349 times
By remmoore
I have an offer for you. I have a Kali Aatma helmet I will give to you, if you pay shipping. It's a DOT helmet, relatively lightweight at 1250 G, and has a flip-up face shield. I used it for about a year, before moving on to my Shiva. It's in great shape and would serve you well. This photo is from when I first started using it, so it's not quite as pristine, with a few scuffs and scratches, but it still looks good.

RM
Attachments
Kali Helmet After.JPG
Add description
Kali Helmet After.JPG (100.83 KiB) Viewed 333 times
By red
maximilionalpha wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm
My melon's 63 cm and probably growing...lol
Max,

My head is about that size, too. A size 4XL may not fit me, and for some makers, even a 5XL can be fairly snug. The motorcycle shops here won't even talk to me, if I'm in the helmet section. :lol:

Heads come in two basic shapes, blockheads and eggheads. :) I'm a blockhead. I don't doubt that those Kali 2XL lids will fit some people, but not everybody.

For anybody thinking of buying a new helmet, please check out the new MIPS helmet technology. Lots of the new helmet brands now use the MIPS protection system, together with their usual construction.

http://mipsprotection.com/helmets/

Following the Kali sizing, I bought (and then returned) a Kali XXL from an on-line bike shop. It was about impossible to get that Kali on or off my head, until I removed the snap-in cheek pads. It was still kinda small, across the crown of my head, but I could wear it for a little while before it started biting. Maybe Kali expects the padding to compress over time, or maybe they just plan to reshape your head to their liking. (Ouch, and ouch again!) Even then, I would have needed to buy 4XL cheekpads (if available). The bike shop took it back, free shipping, with no debate.
By remmoore
I’ve certainly had problems with cheek pads being too thick. A snug fit is one thing, but pain- even with the largest size pads can be a deal-killer for an otherwise good fit.
Every helmet I’ve ever owned required cheek pad modifications- or replacement. The easiest way to modify is to unsnap the pads, cut small holes in the backing, and pull out little chunks of foam until they fit right. I’ve gone as far as to make my own, using similar materials and fabrics as the originals.
RM

"When is the last time you provided assistanc[…]

Another cool day in the alps

Just flying, for enyone interested... Enjoy https[…]

GSSK 2018 vlog

Yes that's correct, any suggestions? Try somet[…]

THE FUTURE OF HANG GLIDING

Verily, it would be cool to see a P-51 thermalling[…]