All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By DAVE 858
I have seen several videos of LMFP where someone is holding the keel of a launching glider. Why do they do this?

for example, the above video.
By Lucky_Chevy
It's done mainly for new pilots to help them set the proper angle of attack and avoid popping the nose. It seems to have merit during a pilots first few mountain launches.

The practice seems to work ok when it's an instructor that passively holds the tail as shown in your video. At times I have seen some well-meaning souls shove on the keel in an effort to "help" the pilot develop speed. That can cause the pilot to stumble.
By NMERider
In many cases it's necessary for someone to hold the keel in order to prevent the glider from being pulled forward by ramp rotor or ramp suck. It varies by wind and location. Many places it's unsafe to hold the nose wires and the keel is the only good option.
By Love2Glide
There was a time when that seemed like a good idea. I'm past that :)

If it's so windy I truly need a keel person to safely launch, I usually leave the glider in its bag.
By NMERider
Love2Glide wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

If it's so windy I truly need a keel person to safely launch, I usually leave the glider in its bag.
Funny you should mention this since a friend of mine chose to fly from a popular R/C DS slope site yesterday in DS conditions and according to his post-flight report soon regretted his decision to launch.

I used to fly an 80' bluff in Michigan that would generate really bad ramp suck in just 15-18mph winds. It was easy to get pulled over the edge with your nose too high and if you lowered you nose the wind would get under you sail from behind and send you off the bluff when you weren't ready.

Somewhere there is a long thread on the forum about ramp suck.
By DAVE 858
Lucky_Chevy wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm
It's done mainly for new pilots to help them set the proper angle of attack and avoid popping the nose. It seems to have merit during a pilots first few mountain launches.

The practice seems to work ok when it's an instructor that passively holds the tail as shown in your video. At times I have seen some well-meaning souls shove on the keel in an effort to "help" the pilot develop speed. That can cause the pilot to stumble.
The ramp suck thing makes sense. Ive had it happen to me at the beach, but this was usually when there was terrain close behind me. Ive never flown at LMFT so I don't know if there is ramp suck there.

I fail to see how physically intervening in someone's launch is going to "help" anything.
By miraclepieco
Love2Glide wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

If I'd followed that rule, I'd have missed out on many of the best flights in my hang gliding career.

By blindrodie
Ive never flown at LMFT so I don't know if there is ramp suck there.
First time I was on LMFP's "old" ramp and without a wing, the ramp suck was so strong I wouldn't let my kids get near the edge. :shock: Was wishing I had a wing for sure... :shock: :ahh:

8)

Fun after work flight! https://www.youtube.com/wa[…]

Tough day, finally got a climb out only to get flu[…]

Fun day at the hill. A few others showed up. Nice […]

Another day at the local site, bald eagle and a fe[…]