All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By NMERider
Cloudbase Mayhem w/ Gavin McClurg:
http://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/episode- ... the-magic/

Show Notes:
  • Dustin discusses a few scary but super memorable flights flying in gust fronts and tornados
  • How to increase performance/ reducing drag
  • The origins of the Cloudbase Foundation
  • RC flying and the crossover to flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes
  • A brief history of hang gliding and some of the technical aspects of the craft
  • Finding the magic
  • Comp flying, sponsorship, passion
  • The world record in Texas (check out this AWESOME article in the NY Times) and chasing world records and the incredible end of the day eeking it out over Jonny
  • Stepping back for safety and perspective and coming back from some discouraging comps
  • Moving from Moyes gliders to the Wills Wing Team
  • What’s happened to hang gliding in the last decade and the loss of the community
  • What PG pilots can learn from Hang gliders
  • Finding good lines, avoiding sink, working light lift, using cloud streets, flatland techniques, etc.
  • Speed to fly, macready, bar…how fast should we fly? The importance of staying with the lead group and the dangers of trying to outsmart the guys early in a race
  • Checking the ego
  • Overcoming lulls in the love of flight and the importance of flying the good days- and skipping the bad
  • What would you change if you could?
One of the best Cloudbase Mayhem podcasts if not the best! :mosh: :mosh: :thumbsup:
Send Cloudbase Mayhem w/ Gavin McClurg a dollar folks...great interview.

Dustin is a really genuine guy. Met him at the Midwest comp a few years ago. Humble. Talented. Real down to earth. Well at least when he's not flyin'! :P

8)
Yeah,great interview...."do what I say, not what I did :lol: "...I liked Dustin's honesty and his unpretentious nature ,I also thought how cool it would have been if they wanted to land together and share their accomplishment without a "winner" :punch:... I can relate to sharing a world record afterall because I share two world records with another current hg pilot.....I hope our records will be beaten but I have my doubts :wink: .....Go on , somebody ask :roll:
Thanks for asking JD,well....just hold on a bit longer,i see Jonny in a Gecko and Jan Tupy in a soaring chute went 377km on Tuesday....Beechmont is 70km as the crow flys from my area and the sky really looked special..i know the reason why but doesn"t the day ALWAYS look better when you can not go flying!...Now you can"t hold your breath any longer sooo, what are the two world records i share with another current hg pilot ,i started hg in 1975 with a mate Dan and my twin brother Brian.There is just my twin and i still flying today and i reckon we would be the worlds longest flying hg twins, and for the second world record {man i loved typing that line :lol: }seeing how were 62 next year i reckon we would also be the worlds oldest hg twins :sleep: So beat that you long distance freaks :wink: