All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By wrath2
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new UK HG pilot and completed my elementary pilot qualification last Summer. I have just modified my car to carry a HG and bought a Calypso as well to start with the next part of my training, the club pilot qualification. I live in London and therefore do not have a garage, but do have a garden and was thinking of ways to store my HG outside in a waterproof environment.

I saw that PTFE tubes are a good fix, however would anyone know where to acquire a "15 one? I am a student so if anyone had any cheaper alternatives please do share!

Wrath2
By Nigel Hewitt
I googled and the size seems to be 300mm or 450mm. I found this.
Not cheap though but it is 6 meters long.
I suspect it would need supporting because I doubt that it's designed to take much weight just be laid in a trench.
By red
wrath2 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 amHi all,
I'm a relatively new UK HG pilot and completed my elementary pilot qualification last Summer. I live in London and therefore do not have a garage, but do have a garden and was thinking of ways to store my HG outside in a waterproof environment. I saw that PTFE tubes are a good fix, however would anyone know where to acquire a "15 one? I am a student so if anyone had any cheaper alternatives please do share!
Wrath2
Wrath,

In the USA, we can get High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE) drainage pipes. The double-wall rigid black pipe is smooth on the inside, and corrugated on the outside. It is the only "shipping tube" that I trust for the commercial shipping of a HG. The plastic end caps are expensive, but round metal drain pans can often be found which will act as stronger end plugs or end caps. In the USA, such a tube for a glider will typically cost ~US$150.

HDPE pipe can be found in home improvement stores, landscape shops, concrete supply yards, and farm supply stores. Often you can get a substantial price reduction on a tube with some minor end damage or other defects which would not affect our uses. Bring your glider to the sales yard, to check the fit of the HG in the tube. See my web page, linked below, for more about drains, rodents, and other pests.

:mrgreen:
By wrath2
Thank you very much for both of your responses.

Nigel - that looks really good! Although as you say is quite expensive, will try and look for a cheaper alternative
Red - your website was v helpful. Will have to give this a thorough thinking through before I commit and buy anything

Cheers!
By flyingcat
If storing the glider on your garden doesn't happen, another thing we do here in The Netherlands, where space is very limited, we either
  • As a HG buddy that has got a garage to store it for you. Normally they don't mind.
  • Store it in a barn. Some farmers are willing to store your glider for you. Just make sure that there are no rats problems 'cause they like the sail of your glider and will eat it and nest in it as well!
  • Store it in a yacht club. They have these big hangars where they keep their yachts dry. You could rent a space in there.
For renting space at a barn/yacht club, here in NL people pay between 5 and 10 euros a month.
By TjW
PTFE is generic for Teflon, and a 15 inch diameter PTFE pipe would be very expensive.
PVC would be a lot cheaper.
Corrugated fiberglass or aluminum roofing over plywood could probably be made to work.
By thermaleo
The problem with storing a hang glider outside, especially in the UK (I lived there and did this), is that you have to watch out for mildew growing on the sail. Try to make sure it's not wet or even damp when you put it away, and make sure you take it out and check it at lest every couple of weeks- mildew forms very fast. If you do get any mildew on the sail a dilute bleach solution will not harm the sail - spray it on and use plenty of water and a scrubbing brush to get it off.

Leo Jones
By red
thermaleo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 pmThe problem with storing a hang glider outside, especially in the UK (I lived there and did this), is that you have to watch out for mildew growing on the sail. Try to make sure it's not wet or even damp when you put it away, and make sure you take it out and check it at lest every couple of weeks- mildew forms very fast. If you do get any mildew on the sail a dilute bleach solution will not harm the sail - spray it on and use plenty of water and a scrubbing brush to get it off.
Leo Jones
Campers,

Be sure to avoid any Chlorine-type bleach, which can harm the Dacron sail. Check the label carefully. With any cleaner, do not use a concentration stronger than you need to do the job. Two sponges (one on each side of the sail) working together may do the job, without needing a scrubbing brush. A soft-bristled wide house-paint brush may be enough, just cut the bristles shorter until you get a brush that is soft enough, and strong enough.

I agree, use plenty of water to rinse, rinse, and rinse again. 8)
By thermaleo
"Be sure to avoid any Chlorine-type bleach, which can harm the Dacron sail. Check the label carefully. With any cleaner, do not use a concentration stronger than you need to do the job. Two sponges (one on each side of the sail) working together may do the job, without needing a scrubbing brush. A soft-bristled wide house-paint brush may be enough, just cut the bristles shorter until you get a brush that is soft enough, and strong enough.

I agree, use plenty of water to rinse, rinse, and rinse again."

Well try soapy water first for stains, but you need to kill mildew - it's a fungus. I have used dilute chlorine bleach many times from a spray bottle to remove mildew, bird s---, sheep s---, and grass stains on dacron sailcloth. I scrubbed it with a nail brush and washed it off really well after a few mins. It did not seem to affect the dacron at all, but it did get the stains out.

Leo Jones

apparently the BB Taliban have forbidden the use of the word ess h eye tee - lest it frighten children - sorry