All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By once&future
Looks like there's a Mill for sale in the classifieds. I have no association with the seller, but 15 years after selling mine, still feel some nostalgia for flying it. After 3 years of flying the Mill exclusively I decided it wasn't for me and went back to flex wings, but it remains probably the most controllable foot-launched wing I've ever (or will ever) fly.

That said, I never could really get comfortable with the extra couple of steps it required on launch - particularly on the short, high altitude ramps of my favorite sites. Also, though the tip rudders allowed for spot landing with as much precision as I could ever manage in a flex wing, landing the wing on anything other than reasonably smooth terrain was something I never became comfortable with - a significant problem in the heavily brush strewn LZs I frequent.

I don't mean to denigrate the Mill at all. On tow it was far superior to any flex wing I ever flew. Even in turbulent conditions I never had a problem maintaining control either on aerotow or "bumper towing" from a static line on a ground vehicle. If I was a flatland pilot I'd probably still fly one (or perhaps have moved up to a SWIFT-lite). For the sort of flying I like to do, though, it just didn't quite work me.

I know Steve Morris, the designer of the Millennium, frequents this site and can offer all sorts of counter-examples (and cool videos) showing the Mill can do all the things with which I felt uncomfortable. Steve's a fine pilot, a brilliant designer (and an old friend) so I don't want to contradict him. I just wanted to offer a more "typical flex wing pilot's" impression of his baby.
By Helix3
Description infers there's a chute packed inside the wing. Where + how big is it?
By once&future
Helix3 wrote:Description infers there's a chute packed inside the wing. Where + how big is it?
One should ask the seller for specifics, but back when I flew mine a ballistic chute was mounted to the rear hoop/headrest of the hang cage. I used a Quantum 440 for my chute to give you an idea of total size.
By mlbco
No arguments from me Fred!

If I were 20 years younger I might take issue with some of the inconvenience factors mentioned but not at my current age. The caveat is, there are no flights I want to fly that I wouldn't fly my Millennium, which is too say I'm a very much toned down recreational pilot these days.

You were around at the beginning of all this when we conceived of and then designed the Swift (1985-1986). The logic for the Swift was that we would push the limit in favor of performance and safety, giving up ease of launch and ease of foot landing. The Millennium was supposed to be a "floater" version of the Swift but that changed when the Exxtacy was released and we needed to increase wingspan and reduce area to stay competitive. The glider is heavier, needs a bit more room to launch, and a smoother area to land. Many sites support this but not all areas do. If there is a clear chunk of slope with 5-10mph (or more) blowing up, I'll take a Millennium over any flex wing. On landing, I'm safer if I can use the wheel so I need a smooth area, no cactus or irregular creek beds for me! I also have no problem in extreme conditions like winds up to 30mph on launch. I never wanted to fly in that stuff in a flex wing but the Millennium made it much easier. I still take my wing to Marina beach once a year to prove to myself it works well in a confined area.

The way I look at this is: Would you like your hassles on launch and (maybe) landing but have a superior experience in the air, or vice versa? I suffered through years of " my flex wing does what it wants, not what I want" and opted for the Class 2 gliders I helped design instead. I would never try to talk someone into one of these gliders, aside from the Aeriane Swift, they aren't in production anymore, but I'm glad I started flying one 25 years ago.

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. The photos below show a production test flight day with 5 Millenniums present, 1999 (#5 flown by me taking the photo!) and also a launch from the ramp at Marina this year.
Attachments
Launch_small.jpg
Launch_small.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
5_Millenniums_6-10-99.JPG
5_Millenniums_6-10-99.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
By cdobsonus
I LOVE my Mill!

I also own a U2 and have owned and flown a variety of other hang gliders, but I love the Mill. My U2 only gets flown once or twice a year.

Convenience? Yes, it is heavy and I wouldn't want to have to carry it far to a launch or land too far from a road. On the other hand, I can set up and preflight while my flying buddies are still stuffing battens.

Performance? Crazy. The numbers I've seen published would tell you that unfaired as mine is, it's on par with the topless flexies. I beg to differ. I am NOT a great pilot, yet I find it pretty easy to fly higher, farther, faster, and longer (duration) than most others anytime I fly. And when I land, I am not worn out from rowdy air or a long time in the air.

Landings? I prefer to use the wheels, but I am confident I could foot land if I needed to. So far, I've never found I've needed to even while doing XC's. Because I am so sure I can put it down where I want, I find I am more comfortable on an XC than I was with my topless. Final approach glide slope can be so precisely controlled by deploying both rudders simultaneously, it's child's play.

Thank you Steve and company for designing and building what I believe is the best glider on the planet for my wants and needs! Although I haven't flown a Swift. Yet. :-)
By Toomb
Would anybody be willing to share a history of the millennium with a newbie? Why is such a wonderful glider no longer in production? Why were so few made? Just curious why such a great glider isn't being produced any longer.
By Helix3
Toomb wrote:Would anybody be willing to share a history of the millennium with a newbie? Why is such a wonderful glider no longer in production? Why were so few made? Just curious why such a great glider isn't being produced any longer.
Asked SM the same thing. If I remember correctly, he said there wasn't enough of a market. New those things cost over $10k.
By alexMill
Toomb wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:46 pm Would anybody be willing to share a history of the millennium with a newbie? Why is such a wonderful glider no longer in production? Why were so few made? Just curious why such a great glider isn't being produced any longer.
They are made in Russia. Conceptually similar, not a copy. It is called Egoist. Communicated with the manufacturer .... from 15K $
By Toomb
How ironic that this thread was resurected ? I was just watching old hang gliding videos from the mid 1970's , and saw someone fly a Mitchell wing and another fixed wing glider. Again i wanted to ask here why these designs have faded away. A millenium for $ 10000-15000 doesnt seem unreasonable.....
By miraclepieco
cdobsonus wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:43 pm Performance? Crazy. The numbers I've seen published would tell you that unfaired as mine is, it's on par with the topless flexies. I beg to differ. I am NOT a great pilot, yet I find it pretty easy to fly higher, farther, faster, and longer (duration) than most others anytime I fly. And when I land, I am not worn out from rowdy air or a long time in the air.

Yes indeed. Rigid wings turn sled ride days into soaring days, scratchy days into XC days, XC days into record days.

By BBJCaptain
I couldn't agree more with Fred and Steve!

Rigids is what got me back into HG and I wouldn't fly anything else! I just love my Millennium!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpY0v0h ... C4C0418E8D
By Eustaquio
Hi, Sirs!

Can anyone help-me with explanation on how to setup Brighstar Millenium harness?

I'm confused with many parts!

The harness connection by itself seems to be simple, though I can't understand the function of a hang strap existent on each shoulder.

But the suspension system, that used to hold the glider on shoulder for takeoff, I cant imagine where and how to connect it and how to join its parts!

Some pictures or a manual that contains information on this subject would be very helpfull to introduce myself to the Mill.

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Have good flights!
By cdobsonus
On my harness, you put your feet through the leg loops with the pad at the back. Pull it up until you can shrug into the shoulder straps, the buckle the chest buckle. The carabiners should be near each hip. I do all of this before getting into the glider.

Before getting into the glider, I move the shoulder straps that stay attached to the glider to each side so they are draped over the side rails above the hang loops. I then use one foot to separate the two halves of the seat and step in standing on the ground. It’s a bit of a maneuver, but try to get yourself seated on the ground between the halves of the seat. Make sure the shoulder straps are still draped over to the outside. This will allow you to clip into each hang loop. After clipping in, lean back into the seat back and pull each of the glider’s shoulder straps over your shoulders. The last step is to hook the bungee between the shoulder straps.

The glider’s shoulder straps are to lift the glider with. Once airborne they serve little purpose unless you pull negative G’s. As you become airborne, your weight is suspended from the two hang loops at your hips. This makes it a simple matter to raise your feet and rest them on the rudder pedal bar.

I hope this helps. If you need any clarification let me know. And if you’re ever in Utah, get ahold of me and let’s go flying,

Fly safe,

Cody
By BBJCaptain
Eustaquio wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:55 am Hi, Sirs!

Can anyone help-me with explanation on how to setup Brighstar Millenium harness?

I'm confused with many parts!

The harness connection by itself seems to be simple, though I can't understand the function of a hang strap existent on each shoulder.

But the suspension system, that used to hold the glider on shoulder for takeoff, I cant imagine where and how to connect it and how to join its parts!

Some pictures or a manual that contains information on this subject would be very helpfull to introduce myself to the Mill.

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Have good flights!
Sounds like you may be talking about the part of the harness that attaches to the chute bridle. It has 2 straps that join into one and should have a carabiner that attaches you and the glider to the chute.
By Eustaquio
Very interesting! Thank you!
I would never think about being necessary to connect both, the pilot and the wing, to the parachute.
Was it usual? I noted that theese two hangloops were not used. They were folded with an old tape.

Another important question that I have about this glider is the specs of the tape used to fix the sail to the leading edge (D cell).
Can I by it on the market? Is it used on sailboats?
Some parts of mine are damaged and need to be replaced.