All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By su27sushka
Cloud Chaser. I am pretty happy with it.
Attachments
cloudchaser.JPG
cloudchaser.JPG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
By Roadrunner
OH HELMETS:

We had a Kali Helmet representative come to our W-O-R Club meeting. I wanted to go to the meeting. But, my flying friend Pilot-X told me in an E-mail. He voiced his concerns to me saying: . . . "You would dominate the Discussion with your personal Topic" .

What is my personal Topic, you might be thinking. I would have inquired as to how well thee Kali Helmet would protect my Brain from being shocked in a High-G load due to my head striking an object.

In other wqrds I would have asked this Kali Rep. Just how good of a job would your Helmet do in reducing the Resulting High G-Load due to a Head-strike from reaching my skull.

But I felt it was better to stay home and avoid stressing out Pilot-X by my asking these unreasonable questions of this Helmet MFG Rep.
By remmoore
This isn't meant to be a personal venting thread, but more of a poll. Pilots can state why they like their helmet of choice if they care to, but it's certainly optional.

More helmets, please!

RM
By JR
I've been using a Charly No Limit for a few years and recently retired my original one and replaced it with a new one. I love the face-shield, especially in the cold weather.

JR
By idahoDal
I use an Icaro Skyrunner. I want a Kali but for the money it bugs me that I'll have to spend more money to paint it so that it doesn't look like a clown threw up on it.
By dherrick
I have always used a full face Charley Insider. During my worst 'incident' many years ago I was sorry that I had a full-face helmet as my chinpiece was caught, which rotated the helmet down causing cuts on my nose and face. I got a smaller replacement helmet which hopefully would not rotate in the same way in similar circumstances.

As someone once said, tell me what type of accident you will have and I'll tell you what type of helmet you should have.

Don
FlyRigid
By miraclepieco
Thread hijack for blatantly commercial purposes! Selling my super light full face. Always wore a balaclava so lining has never touched human skin. Like new inside and out. $95 US. See classified section for details.
Attachments
DSCN1418 (Small).JPG
DSCN1418 (Small).JPG (102.28 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
By remmoore
dherrick wrote:I have always used a full face Charley Insider... I got a smaller replacement helmet...
Don, I'm not clear - was your "replacement helmet" an Insider, too?

RM
By dherrick
Yes, my replacement was also an insider. I had concluded that the main reason for the rotation was looseness of fit of the first one.

Don
By Karl_A
Arai VX-PRO3, modified for better upward visibility.
By AstraNme
miraclepieco wrote:There appears to be some terminology confusion on this thread.

The first helmet below has a VISOR.

The second has a FACE SHIELD.

You probably don't want a visor on a hang gliding helmet, as it would restrict your forward and upward vision.

(No doubt someone can post a photo of a helmet for sale with a face shield that they are calling a visor but, as with many things on the internet, it would be wrong)
Actually both of your examples are visors.
By miraclepieco
AstraNme wrote:
miraclepieco wrote:There appears to be some terminology confusion on this thread.

You probably don't want a visor on a hang gliding helmet, as it would restrict your forward and upward vision.

(No doubt someone can post a photo of a helmet for sale with a face shield that they are calling a visor but, as with many things on the internet, it would be wrong)
Really? So when you order your new helmet with a "Visor," how do you know what you'll get? Will the manufacturer send you a "visor" or a "face shield?"
Admittedly the terms are becoming blurred through repeated misuse by uninformed individuals but, like many things in hang gliding, there are times when you have to get it exactly right.

And this is what I love about these forums: newbies correcting Master pilots :roll:
By AstraNme
miraclepieco wrote:
AstraNme wrote:

Really? So when you order your new helmet with a "Visor," how do you know what you'll get? Will the manufacturer send you a "visor" or a "face shield?"
Admittedly the terms are becoming blurred through repeated misuse by uninformed individuals but, like many things in hang gliding, there are times when you have to get it exactly right.

And this is what I love about these forums: newbies correcting Master pilots :roll:
Yes really... It has nothing to do with "blurred" misuse. It all depends on what the manufacturer is calling it. Both of your examples are are visors but only one is a face shield.

What I love about these forums is the so called "Master" pilots who assume to be all knowing and post untrue garbage. Then they resort to calling people newbies when someone points out their error. It's kind of irresponsible for a "Master" pilot adamantly claim something as fact when it is not.

Good day
By remmoore
Please, folks - it would be great if we can simply state our helmet of choice, and not get into disagreements over nuance.

I recognize (and often participate in) the discussions over the wide range of helmet-related topics can have many varied opinions, but I would really hope this particular thread can be kept to it's original goal.

BTW, Roger - it looks like the helmet you posted for sale is a Uvex model.

RM
By Windlord
Icaro Iguana. One size fits most. No longer in production.
Attachments
HPIM0450.JPG
HPIM0450.JPG (275.08 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
HPIM0449.JPG
HPIM0449.JPG (260.3 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
By flyn'ride
My personal favorite is the pro-tec skate helmet. But under the behest of my SO I have an icaro 4Fight jet short back. Comfy and not too restricting but in a cocoon or multi line harness it is hell. Constantly snagging the back of my helmet on the strings. I decided. that it was a huge pain so if I am flying a cocoon I just use a skateboard helmet.
By Skyvine
I have flown with numerous helmets over the years, and am currently using a Kali carbon downhill helmet. Still haven't added a face shield, but it's on my "to do" list.
AstraNme wrote: Yes really... It has nothing to do with "blurred" misuse. It all depends on what the manufacturer is calling it. Both of your examples are are visors but only one is a face shield.
Good day
FYI (via Google):
vi·sor (vīzər)
noun
NORTH AMERICAN
- a stiff brim at the front of a cap. e.g. "a blue cap with a red visor"
- a movable part of a helmet that can be pulled down to cover the face.
- a screen for protecting the eyes from unwanted light, especially one at the top of a vehicle windshield.

Looks like the definition leaves some descriptive wiggle room. I support the idea of a "face shield" being the more specific nomenclature.

Cheers!
By jjcote
In the context of helmets, the use of the term "visor" to denote a moveable piece that can be pivoted down to protect the face goes back to medieval armor. Visors on helmets resembling the "bill" of a baseball cap are a relatively recent appearance; I've seen them only on BMX helmets (and don't know what purpose they serve). I also have no objection to the use of the term "face shield" for the apparatus on a hang gliding helmet, though it is longer than "visor".
By psuguru
There are helmets available?
By Nathan F.
I wear a Bell Segment skate style helmet. It is light weight and very comfortable, really seems to hug my head. This helmet feels like it would stay in place well in an accident.