All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By remmoore
Takeo,

Looks great! I hope you enjoy it.

Can we get more input on this general thread? I think it can be very beneficial for us all to know what others are using.

RM
By cheesehead
Sometimes my Charly Insider, sometimes my Icaro (don't remember model name, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot more protection than a bike helmet), sometimes my half-shell DOT motorcycle helmet (no, it's not that heavy).
By FogWatch
Prana Graffiti Carbon Helmet Size XL. It looks hideous and is twice the weight of my Charly Insider, but I wouldn't put my head anywhere else.
By cheesehead
cheesehead wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm
Sometimes my Charly Insider, sometimes my Icaro (don't remember model name, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot more protection than a bike helmet), sometimes my half-shell DOT motorcycle helmet (no, it's not that heavy).
Now remember--the Icaro model is the Iguana.
By TomGalvin
TomGalvin wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 am
Windlord wrote:
TomGalvin wrote:I just bought a Fox Rampage down hill mountain bike helmet. It's a very lightweight ATSM 1952 certified helmet.
Very nice Tom. Give us a critique on the helmet when you get a chance.
Finally flew with it this week for the first time. <snip> I am happy so far.
Almost two years on, and I am still happy with my purchase. I will probably replace it next season, with either another Fox helmet, or a Kali. It was a significant improvement over the Charly helmet in both comfort and protection.
By DMarley
Too bad this thread wasn't started earlier, or I could have been swayed to purchase a kali. (edit: oh wait... this is not Rem's Kali thread!) October of 2016 I purchased a Charly No Limit (wind screened) on-line for a good price (white helmet). Most everyone at LMFP were using some form of Charly or it's clones, and there were precious few sources providing good suggestions of other non-specific-use helmet examples.

So far I like the Charly No Limit. It fits very well to my noggin. And light weight; didn't notice it's mass on my longest flight so far. Appreciate the quick-acting chin strap mechanism. The chin guard is noticeably stiffer and more substantial compared to the Charly Insider when compared side by side. At least in resistance to my torquing and fondling. Have not needed the clear wind screen while flying yet... almost did once on a frigid day, but elected that the conditions were too boisterous. On humid days my polarized oakleys have a propensity to fog up while scratching on damp mountain slopes, sans wind screen. Don't know if that's a lack of ventilation or just me.

One of my mentors showed me his pair of yellow-tinted safety glasses..... he indicated that they are absolutely GREAT for identifying all sorts of things, like overhead utilities, ground unevenness, sucking cu's, etc., and he says he can even see the thermals through these things! Unbelievable! Got to get me a pair!

But what I really want/need is a new(er) Yaesu. Yeah!
By remmoore
DMarley wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm
Too bad this thread wasn't started earlier, or I could have been swayed to purchase a kali. (edit: oh wait... this is not Rem's Kali thread!)
You're right, this is meant to be a much simpler thread about identifying what helmets pilots are using. While I'm a huge Kali fan, this thread isn't really meant to promote one helmet over another - only to identify what we're collectively using.

Keep the input coming!

RM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's really a beatifu[…]

Subaxtreme got back to me with good information. […]

La Muela de Alarilla, Spain

Cool place, nice edit! Thanks! I saw in GoogleMa[…]

Going to see Bent Knee 6 July 18. Courtney Swain, […]