All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By norcal1970
Hi All,

I am considering a CG-1000 as my first harness. What are the main differences between a single hang strap like the CG-1000 and harness that have more than one hanging strap/rope?

For those who use a CG. What is it that you like about it?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt
By psilyguy
You should also inquire about old version vs. new. And if Jordan is still making them, & for how much longer.
By Darbbb
I think there is also a minimum six-month wait time for them. A Z5 or a Tracer is a great first harness.
By Darbbb
I think there is also a minimum six-month wait time for them. A Z5 or a Tracer is a great first harness.
By miraclepieco
I have owned several CG1000 harnesses. They are excellent in every respect - the best all-around of the two dozen different harness brands I've flown. For a newer pilot, they offer the simplicity of a single suspension - no line tangles to worry about. Being a pod-type harness, the boot trails behind on launch and landing - no tripping. They are by far the easiest of the single suspension harnesses to get upright in, holding you in perfect landing position. My landings greatly improved with a CG1000. Unlike many other harnesses, they are comfortable on the man-parts when you go upright. They have a complete integral continuous webbing system for safety. They are quite streamlined, especially if you order the side chute option; you can take them from the training hill all the way to a major comp. Six month wait? Well, almost all custom-fit harnesses have a significant wait time this time of year.
By remmoore
miraclepieco wrote:I have owned several CG1000 harnesses. They are excellent in every respect - the best all-around of the two dozen different harness brands I've flown. For a newer pilot, they offer the simplicity of a single suspension - no line tangles to worry about. Being a pod-type harness, the boot trails behind on launch and landing - no tripping. They are by far the easiest of the single suspension harnesses to get upright in, holding you in perfect landing position. My landings greatly improved with a CG1000. Unlike many other harnesses, they are comfortable on the man-parts when you go upright. They have a complete integral continuous webbing system for safety. They are quite streamlined, especially if you order the side chute option; you can take them from the training hill all the way to a major comp. Six month wait? Well, almost all custom-fit harnesses have a significant wait time this time of year.
I agree completely with this quote, but also with Psilyguy's suggestion that you contact the manufacturer for an update.

RM
By airhog2007
Be certain of the measurements. They seem to be delivered tight.
bill
By ridgerunner
Bought my first CG-1000 around 1984 when it first came out. That one was stolen in 1990 (on Christmas eve!). I replaced it with a new CG-2000, which I have been flying for the last 25 years (but not so much in the last decade). I agree with the other owners - this harness is wonderful. It is safe, streamlined and built to last. After logging more than 1200 hours on the CG, I can wholeheartedly recommend this product.

That said, I have not flown any other harnesses, so I cannot give any meaningful comparison evaluation. I have friends who flew the CG for years then moved on to other types (and they liked these new designs as much or more than th CG). However, these new designs do not rock up as well as the CG (an important safety consideration in my book.)

I can't say the CG is the best harness out there, but I can say without any reservation that I would certainly buy another one in a heartbeat - (assuming that the build quality is still up to Jay's high standards - which I assume it is).

Good Luck!
By Jason
I have been flying one for the last decade or so........

I think its great, its comfortable, and more streamlined than many other more expensive harnesses

it is a single suspension, so it has all the drawbacks of a single suspension harness, although I think its easier than some others......

http://www.hanggliding.org/hangglidingp ... 099725.png

I got mine used and it was retrofitted with a side mount chute

side mounts have advantages and disadvantages like everything else
-less drag- no chest protection
-hang lower, lighter forces in the air, harder to flare
By Lucky_Chevy
A single suspension harness will not go as upright as other harness types. This can be rather disconcerting until you get used to the flare timing in the semi-upright position. If you are late on your flare it is a bit tougher to get your feet under you for a run out landing.

Single suspension harnesses are more sensitive to cross controlling. It's important to have good weight shift technique.

Single suspension harnesses are more fragile and can fail in new and exciting ways. It's important to properly pre-flight your harness and to repair or replace any pieces that are wearing.

The primary advantage is glider performance. You may gain as much as a point of glide.

Comfort is also excellent but that is the same for any harness that fits you well.
By norcal1970
What are the drawbacks of a single suspension harness?
By Darbbb
norcal1970 wrote:What are the drawbacks of a single suspension harness?
See Lucky Chevy's answer, above.
By Jason
also, when you go upright, you hang much lower (up to 8"s or more), further reducing your flare authority
By flyingdawg
If anyone wants a very gently used recent vintage CG 1000 with a side mounted chute and are around 5', 10" to just over 6' and weigh in the 175-185 range, you can get one at a bargain price from me. I ordered it after losing a lot of weight and I got fat again. The harness is in Albuquerque but I come out to Marshall a lot.s

Bo Frazier 505-280-8654
flyingdawg2003@yahoo.com
By skyman
:thumbsup: It is an excellent harness! I flew with one for many years during the 80's & 90's and had my longest flight (six + hours!) in one with absolutely no fatigue, other than just tired of being in the air that long.., My only suggestion would be to get the chest entry zipper. mine was not and was sold because I could no longer wriggle my way inside it after gaining a few pounds :roll: I use the Z5 now, and other than being a bit more bulky it too is a very comfortable harness that rocks up for landing with great "aplomb"
By SeeHoweToFly
Jordan is awesome to do business with, I've sold a few of her harnesses. For your first harness I think I'd go with a Z5 or High Energy though. Just my 2 cents.
By Lucky_Chevy
Oh, backplate harnesses are also heavier. I fly a Woody Valley Tennax. It is one of the lighter single suspension harnesses at 30lbs. Some go over 40lbs.

It's a bit tougher to run in a single suspension harness when foot launching.

It's tougher to access gear in flight.

Side-mounted parachutes are more difficult to deploy than chest mounted.

They are expensive.

If you want or need the added glide performance then you need one. They are used exclusively by the top ranked comp pilots, and many XC pilots prefer them.

Wanting a single suspension harness is reason enough if you are willing to deal with their short comings. If you get one make sure you hang in it for while before flying it; practice getting upright, zipping and unzipping. Be aware of cross controlling when flying. Don't panic when it doesn't get as upright as your last harness when landing. Try to be a little early on your flare and crescendo.
By norcal1970
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I have decided on the Woody Valley Flex 2. Eventually I want to migrate to a CG1000, I did speak with Jordan and she is great and provided some great insight as well.
By Marcos70
These harnesses are nothing like the tenax. They have more room at the foot. They go upright much easier and they are very easy to land compared to ANY harness I have ever flown other than a cocoon. I loved mine, but it got too tight as I grew wider. They are heavier than the tenax and bulkier than others I have seen. but really are comfortable in the air. I would not compare them to any of the other "back plate" harnesses. They are not the same.