All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By pjwings
Looks interesting. I've often yearned for a wireless setup... every time I have to replace my wired version in fact!! :rofl:
By Tasi
I'm looking also for something similar cause I need to be able to call from up there...

Haven't tried this, but nirvana has a very interesting package.
http://www.nirvana.cz/full-contact-4-en/

my ppg budies fly with it and they are super content.
Ok it doesn't have the looks and shape of the 4fight but the capabilities are impressive.
By smokenjoe50
Last week another pilot and I flew with with the sena smh10 to try out the sound quality. We did not have them connected to a 2m radio. The range was actually a lot less than the 1000 yards they clame but when in range the sound quality was crystal clear. It sounded like I was talking to him on the phone. We both were using openface helmets with boom mics and there was no wind noise at all. If the 2m radio adapter works as good as the headsets im sold. I will probably be ordering one soon.
By Cal Glider
Looks good but...how much for a full set up?
By Tasi
Cal Glider wrote:Looks good but...how much for a full set up?
If you're referring to the c4, if my memory serves me well (2years or so) should be around the 500euro mark including helm and toys..

Imagine a tail on this
:drool:
By pjwings
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.37.34 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.37.34 PM.png (119.55 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
By pjwings
https://www.twacomm.com/

This is just the part that hooks to the radio and a wireless PTT button. You'd still have to get the headset separately, however the price is much nicer than the Sena and they have a wireless button! It's pretty big. Too big to attach to your finger, but certainly a good size to stick onto a base tube or down tube.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.53.37 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-11-06 at 1.53.37 PM.png (40.65 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
By macsux
Keep in mind that impedance on the microphone needs to match what the radio is expecting. Just because the connector fits doesn't necessarily mean it will work. Just a heads up.
By pjwings
That's a great point! Thanks for pointing it out. The unit from Pryme Blu listed actual radios it worked with, including my favorite the VX 150.

The Sena unit just states "Yaesu single pin connector".
By Tontar
Last post on this was a LONG time ago, anyone find any success with the Bluetooth headset and PTT for Yaesu radios? I never fly with my radio because it is such a hassle to hook up with wires, and I'm not into hassling with wires and junk before flying. The Sena looks really cool as far as what goes on the helmet, but they don't seem to have a wireless PTT. That's generally the worst part to rig up with a cocoon harness.
By gliderjamie
I am a noob glider pilot but have been using the Sena SR10 on my motorcycle for years and have nothing but praise for the unit. I have used it with a portable CB, FRS GMRS and currently a Icom 2 meter amateur radio.

Yes, there is no wireless PTT button but the wired external one is a simple open/close push button that would be very easy to make / modify your own and mount it to a down tube, control bar, etc. The one it comes with is a tad short.

As for the headsets, I have heard good reviews on the Sena models but do not have first hand experience with those. My motorcycle helmet has an integrated unit.

My 2c worth.
By Mr Pou
gliderjamie wrote:I am a noob glider pilot but have been using the Sena SR10 on my motorcycle for years and have nothing but praise for the unit
+1. I'm new to flying but have been using the SMH10/SR10 combo on the bike for years. I hardwire radar detector and GPS into the SR10, and the SR10 links to the SMH10 vis HFP. My iPhone links via the A2DP channel, so I'm listening to pandora streaming stereo thru the headsets and the music will be interrupted if needed by the GPS or radar detector. Then of course the SMH10 can connect to three other riders. It's an awesome setup.

It would be interesting to see how this setup would work once I'm flying.
By seb
Best built ptt system Ive used is from thermal tracker. One coiled cable runs from radio to helmet. Quick disconnect at helmet and ppt switch mounted on helmet as well.

extremely robust,

I looked into the blue tooth stuff and the sena stuff looked the best. However mounting the unit on my helmet or using the adapter which is a pretty good size pushed me back towards a conventional set up.
By rotorhead
Yes I fly with the SR10 and SMH10 and the wired PTT for the SR10 (part number SR10-A0202).

The build quality of all the SENA blue tooth bits are very good just like the sound. There is sometimes a microsecond delay between pressing the PTT button and the Bluetooth connecting so you can't just press and talk quickly. This is the same with any PTT though if you talk straight away the circuit might not have had time to open the microphone. Having easy access to the volume is great too.

A serious issue is the cable and plug from the SR10 to the radio. I have had to change 2 cables now because the wire is very thin and caused an open mic on 2 separate occasions (my PTT was stuck on) which was annoying for those who had to listen to me until I realised the problem. I think putting the Bluetooth dongle (down my arm in my sleeve) was stretching and bending the cable and causing a break in the wiring somewhere. I am now keeping the dongle in my harness and stretching the PTT wire down my sleeve instead. So far so good but I am paranoid that wire will break now!

It is such a good system just having one wire to plug in that I have stuck with it. Looking forward to the day when all the wires are removed and the radio itself has Bluetooth with a wireless PTT.
By Tontar
Here is the PTT unit that is used by glidercom.com, but with an optional finger button added on. This would be a completely acceptable PTT butoom for me. It would be simple to wear the Bluetooth PTT unit like a wristwatch, or have it rigged in a glove pouch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161072821062? ... rmvSB=true

The question is whether or not a base unit like the Sena SR10 would pair with it, or if the Sena unit is strictly a hard wired button for the PTT function. If you actually have the SR10 unit maybe you know the answer to that.

[/url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161072821062? ... B=true[url]